Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Who has the noise & heat insulated glass option and can comment?
  1. Is it (lightly?) tinted? The configurator shows it a little bit darker than the clear windows, but not as dark as the privacy tinted windows.
  2. Does it interfere with phone (signal/gps) reception?
My car wil soon go into production and need to decide.
I don't like the 50/50 look of the privacy glass because of the difference between front and rear windows.
On a dark colour it does not show that hard, but on a Mamba Green it's not that great. Also the privacy option is pretty dark overall.

If the heat and noise insulated glass is somewhere in between clear glass and privacy tinted that would be perfect.
But I can't seem to find much detail about it. Configurator show a light tint, and some other threads say it's identical to clear glass.

And secondly ... I wan't to be able to use my iPhone (cellular & gps) in the car (not in the centre console) without any issues.
Some say it won't work decently, others say it works just fine ...

So ... who has this option and can comment on it.
Sponsored

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I have it here in the US, there is very little tint on any of the windows and my iPhone works flawlessly on the T-mobile network. Probably best to ask someone who uses the same phone network as you in your country if possible.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have it here in the US, there is very little tint on any of the windows and my iPhone works flawlessly on the T-mobile network. Probably best to ask someone who uses the same phone network as you in your country if possible.
WoKe
Ditto and +1 on advice - it is a very light tint but I do think the privacy glass option in Europe is quite a lot darker from pics I've seen. I actually put Xpel tint on my glass at 35% to make up for the lack of tint on the Thermal/Noise insulated glass. No real issues with signal loss for me (also T-Mobile) but it seems to vary by State here in the US and def by carrier.

OP
OP
WoKe

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Thx!
If there is hardly any difference in tint I think I won't get it.
We don't get that much sun, so heat is less of an issue.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Ditto and +1 on advice - it is a very light tint but I do think the privacy glass option in Europe is quite a lot darker from pics I've seen. I actually put Xpel tint on my glass at 35% to make up for the lack of tint on the Thermal/Noise insulated glass. No real issues with signal loss for me (also T-Mobile) but it seems to vary by State here in the US and def by carrier.
Ditto and +2. I too have Xpel tint on top of the insulated glass. No signal issues using AT&T on iPhone 13 Pro Max in Northern NJ/NYC suburbs.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have the combination but with tinted privacy windows as well. So I guess my situation should be even worse??

I do not use the built in charger since it overheats my iPhone, but a ProClip holder on the passenger side.

I have no,problems at all driving through France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium with phone reception. And when using CarPlay I think the car supports the GPS signal for Waze or Google maps.

If I switch off CarPlay and use the PCM navigation ( mainly to preheat the battery) I have seen some issues with Waze not being as accurate as when using CarPlay. It has happened a few times, nothing disastrous, but noticeable.

But when using CarPlay, no problems with Waze, phone calls or Apple Music via phone.

I do not have any experience of a Taycan without the insulating glass and,privacy glass though.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
  1. Is it (lightly?) tinted? The configurator shows it a little bit darker than the clear windows, but not as dark as the privacy tinted windows.
My car wil soon go into production and need to decide.
I don't like the 50/50 look of the privacy glass because of the difference between front and rear windows.
On a dark colour it does not show that hard, but on a Mamba Green it's not that great. Also the privacy option is pretty dark overall.

If the heat and noise insulated glass is somewhere in between clear glass and privacy tinted that would be perfect.
But I can't seem to find much detail about it. Configurator show a light tint, and some other threads say it's identical to clear glass.

And secondly ... I wan't to be able to use my iPhone (cellular & gps) in the car (not in the centre console) without any issues.
Some say it won't work decently, others say it works just fine ...

So ... who has this option and can comment on it.
I have Pano roof and insulated glass. There is very little shading and my cell works perfectly. The only issue with the insulated glass is the front windshield for garage door openers and toll tags-they have to be placed in a certain spot to work, no issue for me. Oh, and the insulated glass really quiets things down and for me is a no brainer.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Its dark enuogh. No issues with the reception.

Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint BAF087AE-FE98-407C-B127-4CDD9AF79953

Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint 5E9C6DBE-D7A6-452E-90F3-882A5EE8F6FB

Sparky

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT 4
Country flag
I have it and agree with others about tint and not having a problem with cell phone reception (except in my garage, T-Mobile). No one has mentioned that this package adds double pane glass. I do think that has helped to keep the car quiet.
Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint IMG_6149

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I have noise & heat insulated privacy glass.

From the outside the windscreen has a purple/brown hue in bright light, I believe this is the thin metallic thermal coating on the glass that can also impact phone signals. The hue is not noticeable from the inside unless you wear polarised sunglasses then some other car windows look purple at certain angels, it is weird at first but you quickly get used to it.

The black rear window tints are a slightly grey black vs standard privacy glass that looks a cleaner/deeper black, the difference is more noticeable in certain light conditions. My car is black so this also makes the off-black appearance more noticeable.

The glass roof however is more jet black vs the standard glass roof that has a purple/brown hue in certain light especially when wet (the opposite of the windscreen appearance per above, weird).

Phone signal:
Voice excellent when inside the centre console booster box, best of any car I've owned
Data and voice less reliable in low signal areas (3 bars or less), good signal areas (4 or 5 bars) are fine
GPS works but I find it loses location or glitches now and again, something I've not noticed in previous cars.

Photo of the windscreen point, the eTron RS does not have the heat insulation option.

Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint IMG_1227

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have noise & heat insulated privacy glass.

From the outside the windscreen has a purple/brown hue in bright light, I believe this is the thin metallic thermal coating on the glass that can also impact phone signals. The hue is not noticeable from the inside unless you wear polarised sunglasses then some other car windows look purple at certain angels, it is weird at first but you quickly get used to it.

The black rear window tints are a slightly grey black vs standard privacy glass that looks a cleaner/deeper black, the difference is more noticeable in certain light conditions. My car is black so this also makes the off-black appearance more noticeable.

The glass roof however is more jet black vs the standard glass roof that has a purple/brown hue in certain light especially when wet (the opposite of the windscreen appearance per above, weird).

Phone signal:
Voice excellent when inside the centre console booster box, best of any car I've owned
Data and voice less reliable in low signal areas (3 bars or less), good signal areas (4 or 5 bars) are fine
GPS works but I find it loses location or glitches now and again, something I've not noticed in previous cars.

Photo of the windscreen point, the eTron RS does not have the heat insulation option.

IMG_1227.jpg
Unfortunately the booster antenna in the Console box on 2020-2021 cars is no longer there in 2022 models - that said, as mentioned I do not generally have any issues with my T-Mobile signal in Houston whilst using in the car.

OP
OP
WoKe

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Thx all for the useful input!
I changed my config to the default clear glass. If somehow I still want it tinted I’ll have it retrofitted using xpel tint.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
1. I have this option, and I dont really notice/appreciate any significant tinting on the windows, here was my car stock without any aftermarket tinting, you decide.

Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint 51736563374_9c5aa4994f_c

2. Many have reported cell phone reception issues from inside the car mount
Porsche Taycan Noise & heat insulated glass - phone reception & tint 51818993181_f12866e527_c
, I can safely report zero issues with my cell phone mounted inside my car. I use T Mobile service in the US. Your results may vary depending on your phone and local wireless network

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have Pano roof and insulated glass. There is very little shading and my cell works perfectly. The only issue with the insulated glass is the front windshield for garage door openers and toll tags-they have to be placed in a certain spot to work, no issue for me. Oh, and the insulated glass really quiets things down and for me is a no brainer.
Thanks for this. I am debating this option so your feedback helps.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Windshield mount Radar detectors don't work with thermally insulated glass. Had to do a built in.

I tinted windows pretty dark, don't really want people to see me.
Sponsored