Noise insulated glass option?

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I didn't go for it in the end since the dealer said there isn't really much of a discernable difference in terms of sound/heat.

I cannot find any exact statistical literature about the difference for either heat or sound insulation.

I would like to ask if any of you have any hands-on experience and have been in both a Taycan with a panoramic roof without the insulated glass, and another with the same panoramic roof as well as insulated glass; if you have experienced both variants, could you kindly describe any discernable differences?

Thank you.
Sponsored

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
I was told it made a huge difference especially if you have burmester system.

OP
OP

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Interesting, what did they say about the heat insulation? I chose the Burmester system so I would rather pay more for it if it does make a noticeable difference...

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Rather than relying on your dealer's perspective, I would suggest you take a test drive to discern the difference between a Taycan with a panoramic roof, fitted standard glass, versus one with noise-insulated glass. I happened to have driven both before opting for the upgraded glass, which in my opinion, offered better noise insulation as well as acoustics for the sound system.

OP
OP

KRTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Rather than relying on your dealer's perspective, I would suggest you take a test drive to discern the difference between a Taycan with a panoramic roof, fitted standard glass, versus one with noise-insulated glass. I happened to have driven both before opting for the upgraded glass, which in my opinion, offered better noise insulation as well as acoustics for the sound system.
Unfortunately I can't test drive anything as I don't have a driving license yet - I figured it would make more sense to ask here, so thank you for your perspective.

I will contact the dealer and have it added; it's a fraction of the price of the Burmester system so it would make no sense not to add the option now after seeing your response.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
The biggest advantage of this option for some people is that this glass is highly resistant to aggression.

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
I have a 4S with insulated glass and panoramic roof and 20” wheels. It happened that my neighbor ended up with a loaner 4S no insulated glass and 19” wheels. I took it out for the sake of comparison - I could tell a noticeable difference in wind noise between the two cars. On a side note - I could notice more tire (road noise) on mine (20”s - Pilot 4) vs the loaner (19”s - Hankook Evos).

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
I ordered the Burmester in my CT but didn't go for the insulated glass.
I tested 2 taycans back to back and the difference is barely noticeable IMO.

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I wonder if anyone who didn't select this option wishes they had got it? When I test drove a Taycan without it, I felt it was very quiet.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I wonder if anyone who didn't select this option wishes they had got it? When I test drove a Taycan without it, I felt it was very quiet.
I did not select it. My car seems extremely quiet. I do not regret it at all.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My main reason for choosing this option had more to do with keeping the car cool than reducing extraneous noise which I figured would help with range because the car would be more efficient with the AC. Glad I have it!

RPTRXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 / Taycan CT4 / Model X (ordered)
Country flag
Sounds aside - does anyone know if this $1k option works to materially keep the car cool? I live in LA where it is hot and I'm speccing black interior. I could always get film, but if I can just pay for the glass that would be easiest I think.
Sponsored