jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Maddie. How do you like having the thermo insulated glass? Do you sense a difference? Are you glad you made the choice to get it?
I had it in my Macan & now in my Taycan. The downsides:

1. It makes toll tags a pain in the butt.
2. The option includes the windshield, so if you need a windshield replacement it's big $$$.
3. Car still heats up plenty because of the pano roof. It's more effective vs sound than heat.
4. Some negative effect on cell phone reception, although the Taycan isn't nearly as bad as the Macan was.

Those caveats aside, to those of us who are sensitive to noise it's really great. In an ICE car, a TON of road noise is buried by the engine so it's a different situation. If you're not that sensitive to noise, don't bother. I also think that in winter, the cabin heats up more quickly with the double-pane glass. FWIW I still tinted the windows for double the comfort. :)
Sponsored

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Keeps it a little cool and more quieter. Great with Bose too. But not completely quiet because the noise of the tires/road will still be heard. But it's a cool option and it does make it harder to break in.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Sir. Thank you. You were able to sense the noise was cut down significantly with the glass? The dealers don't have cars to do the comparison so appreciate any additional experience you can share
IMHO, there's a marked difference between the two types of glass, having test-driven Taycans with and without the privacy glass when it comes to noise and cooling insulation.

A few takeaways from the noise-insulated glass. If you're contemplating utilizing a toll tag, make sure it's mounted on the dotted/shaded windshield area near the rearview mirror in order to obtain toll reception. Along this line, you will probably have to pair your garage opener with the vehicle's HomeLink system. Otherwise, you'll find yourself constantly operating the garage opener with the window down due to reception issues. On the plus side, the Taycan's privacy glass seems to minimize damage from flying debris. Whereas, I've dealt with replacing windshields in my other two vehicles numerous times. Since BMW doesn't offer thicker or stronger glass for either of my two models, I finally resorted to installing XPEL protection film on their windshields to avoid the replacement hassle, which seems to have prevented stone chips from doing further damage thus far.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
On the UK configurator it no longer mentions heat, only acoustically insulated and I believe it refers to the windows not the panoramic roof which is the same whether acoustic isolated laminated glass is chosen or not.
The US parts could be different from those supplied to the UK though.

FWIW I chose the sound insulated glass but not the panoramic roof. I have had one before and it had a shade which I always pulled over if the sun was beating on my head, so not having a shade ruled the pano roof out for me. Anyway having chosen the metal roof I much prefer its look too.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
IMHO, there's a marked difference between the two types of glass, having test-driven Taycans with and without the privacy glass when it comes to noise and cooling insulation.

A few takeaways from the noise-insulated glass. If you're contemplating utilizing a toll tag, make sure it's mounted on the dotted/shaded windshield area near the rearview mirror in order to obtain toll reception. Along this line, you will probably have to pair your garage opener with the vehicle's HomeLink system. Otherwise, you'll find yourself constantly operating the garage opener with the window down due to reception issues. On the plus side, the Taycan's privacy glass seems to minimize damage from flying debris. Whereas, I've dealt with replacing windshields in my other two vehicles numerous times. Since BMW doesn't offer thicker or stronger glass for either of my two models, I finally resorted to installing XPEL protection film on their windshields to avoid the replacement hassle, which seems to have prevented stone chips from doing further damage thus far.
As far as the windshield goes, I think it would help reduce cracking, but not chipping. Of all replacements I have ever had done were for a rock chip in the line of sight that's really annoying. If it's in a corner out of the way, then it's not an issue like the one that's on my C2S now. So, it doesn't matter how thick of the glass is, they'll chip the same, but it will just not go all the way through or cause a fracture as easily on the thicker ones.

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
On the UK configurator it no longer mentions heat, only acoustically insulated and I believe it refers to the windows not the panoramic roof which is the same whether acoustic isolated laminated glass is chosen or not.
The US parts could be different from those supplied to the UK though.

FWIW I chose the sound insulated glass but not the panoramic roof. I have had one before and it had a shade which I always pulled over if the sun was beating on my head, so not having a shade ruled the pano roof out for me. Anyway having chosen the metal roof I much prefer its look too.
Thank you. Do you notice the sound is much less with the insulated glass?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Thank you. Do you notice the sound is much less with the insulated glass?
I ordered it based on what I expect (I did noise and vibration research as my first job) but have only been waiting 7 months for the build slot so far so still a few months before I will experience it for myself ;) sorry!
Sponsored