daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my units are still working great - and power sharing a great feature for multiple EV's/Hybrids
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
$595…can charge your Taycan and your future Ford F-150 EV w/NACS native port - seemless support both NACS & J-1772 vehicles.
It can, but for the F150 you might want to consider the residential bidirectional DC charger - not part of Tesla repertoire at this time.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
UPDATE: with the latest version of Tesla.app you can now add Tesla Gen3 Wall charger to your tesla account - this allows remote monitoring _AND_ now has charging history - which can be downloaded to a CSV file via the Tesla app

it turns out the entire charging history is there from my install of my 3 chargers from Oct. 2022…

this makes the Gen3 Tesla Universal Wall Charger an even better option. Existing Gen3 wall chargers need a firmware update that is seamlessly handled during the registration process.

the new features of the Tesla app are modest - it allows:
  • joining and unjoining of the Wall chargers to a tesla "energy home"
  • access to charging history/stats
  • monitoring of the Tesla charger
  • configuration of a charging 'schedule' - times the Wall charger will "allow" charging to happen
I expect further software updates in the future and gradually more an more functionality to be added.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
charger now "shown" in the Tesla app - see "plugged in" in the upper left of the screen shot below…

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_1866

access EV charging history

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_1867

see the list of EV chargers associated with your account

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_1868

access EV charging history metrics - and down load the data for offline analysis.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_1869

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is no problem with the new Tesla Universal unit - everything good/bad about the j-1772 unit mentioned in this thread applies to the new Univeral unit

so get the Universal unit and you'll be happy.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
The only thing that this charger is missing is PLC (Power Line Connection?) the Porsche branded mobile connect charges has it and it works great!
I know most people have wifi that can reach the charger, mine is at a public underground garage in a condo, where i can't really put my own wifi access point over PLC, so bare bone PLC in the charger is a bliss.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The only thing that this charger is missing is PLC (Power Line Connection?) the Porsche branded mobile connect charges has it and it works great!
I know most people have wifi that can reach the charger, mine is at a public underground garage in a condo, where i can't really put my own wifi access point over PLC, so bare bone PLC in the charger is a bliss.
You can stick a PLC-Ethernet or PLC-Wifi adapter in almost any EVSE install, whether in the junction box before the EVSE (I would suggest this one, mount the WiFi antenna to the outside of the junction box), or inside the EVSE enclosure if there is room.

Last edited:

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
Right now i have a PLC ethernet adapter fitted inside my current 50A charger, been working well for a year..i prevously i had a very dumb tesla charger that was given to me by Tesla (never owned a tesla - long story..) but i replaced with with a very smart Unifi EV Station and i'm happy with the current config, i only use the Porsche one on "emergencies" due to the heating recall.
Sponsored