whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So I saw this thread when I was shopping EVSEs and ordered the Tesla J1772 wall charger.

I received it Friday in a nice tidy black box that just says "Tesla Wall Connector" on it. Makes sense - the one I ordered was black and called "J1772 Wall Connector"

I didn't unbox it because I had an electrician coming and didn't want to chance losing any parts. He arrives, spends all morning installing a 70amp panel with 60amp circuit, knocks on my door to tell me that the install is finished and... they sent me the basic $400 Wall Connector with Tesla's proprietary plug.

There is no way to contact support through their system, and if you attempt to call it just directs you to an email. I send an email and get an autoresponse letting me know that it may take up to 5 business days before I get a response.

Now I have to do another service call just to get the correct panel installed and I highly doubt Tesla is going to reimburse me for the electrician's time to install the correct panel.

Absolutely not happy with their customer support.
I suspect swapping the old to the new should be very easy, almost plug-and-play since the wire boxes should be identical:
Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review 1667255273351

I don't have a Gen3 to doublecheck, but perhaps @daveo4EV who had a chance to play with both at the same time could confirm whether you can just use the wire-box from the first one which you already paid to have mounted, ship back the new wirebox with the wrong charger.

If it was me I would just order another J1772 WC and follow the return process on the first one, which they should cover the shipping back charges and refund you the money. It would also guarantee you have both in your hand at the same time so you can swap wireboxes to make it a quick fix. If Tesla refuses, or ghosts you, just call your credit card and refuse the charges - since Tesla didn't ship you what you ordered, and they didn't provide return shipping back plus a refund, it would be a very straightforward chargeback for the credit card company to justify.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the wire boxes appear 100% identical - there could be some differences but none that I can visually detect.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
both units working great so far - much less drama vs PMCC and I'm loving the shared load and higher charge rate (48 vs. 40 amps)

I can recommend these EVSE's

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so far so good - these things "just" work - and they don't overheat - and they are running at 48 amps (not 40 amps) - amazing what proper gauge wire can accomplish…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect swapping the old to the new should be very easy, almost plug-and-play since the wire boxes should be identical:
1667255273351.png

I don't have a Gen3 to doublecheck, but perhaps @daveo4EV who had a chance to play with both at the same time could confirm whether you can just use the wire-box from the first one which you already paid to have mounted, ship back the new wirebox with the wrong charger.

If it was me I would just order another J1772 WC and follow the return process on the first one, which they should cover the shipping back charges and refund you the money. It would also guarantee you have both in your hand at the same time so you can swap wireboxes to make it a quick fix. If Tesla refuses, or ghosts you, just call your credit card and refuse the charges - since Tesla didn't ship you what you ordered, and they didn't provide return shipping back plus a refund, it would be a very straightforward chargeback for the credit card company to justify.
TL;DR; - the wire boxes are identical - swapping units is trivial and compatible - wirebox is a passive electrical connector and mount - either Gen3 normal or Gen3 J-1772 work equally well…

Details

I received my 3rd and final Tesla J-1772 Gen3 wall charger today - Tesla screwed up and shipped me the correct one this time - strange they did not demonstrate incompetence this time - so win!!!

I had previously ordered a J-1772 Tesla Gen3 charger (my 2nd) but they shipped me a Tesla one not a J-1772 one - but I set it up anyways....it's been working fine with my Cayenne/Taycan and my Son's model Y and neighbor's EV's I've Tested it with…

but today I got my J-1772 model - so I swap the Tesla one for the J-1772 one, but did not swap the "wirebox"

I can now confirm the wirebox is identical between the two units…I just pop'd the one unit "off" the box and the new unit "onto" the box and it all works and was easy/quick...

I plan to setup the 3rd unit to replace one of my Gen2 units - and tie the 3rd unit into my power sharing setup…

I'll retain one Gen2 unit so I have a 19.2 kW EVSE on site for future EV's and max charging power - but it will not be part of any "power sharing" system - so it usage will be "low" and I'll have to be careful when using it since it could overload the breaker since it doesn't know about the other 3 chargers - but I anticipate this will not be an issue given infrequent usage.

so far so good - the unit's work well with a wide variety of EV's and are fuss-free and problem free.

excellent choice (from other excellent choices) for $550 - other choices are equally good or slightly better for some features - but all exceed the the Porsche offering and just make the Porsche option pale in comparison.

nefilim314

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got fed up waiting on a response from them and just charged back through my credit card. I ordered the Emporia EVSE instead and it works just fine for $50 cheaper. They finally responded a full 8 days after my original request but it was a canned email that shows they didn’t even read the original message. Their solution was to have me pay an electrician come back out, uninstall it, package it to be sent back, then send me the correct one back and call the electrician out the third time to install it. Not even just send me the correct unit first.

The customer service was so abysmal I’d rather not reward them with business and will steer anyone else away if I can.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
over the next few days and weeks I'll report on any problems but given my past experience with their EVSE's this one is a great product
I've been rocking a 2 Wall Charger setup now since the original posting date of this thread - and so far so good - the highest praise is that the whole setup w/powersharing "just works" - i've been charging my 3 EV's (Taycan, Cayenne Hybrid, Son's Tesla Model Y) and friend's EV's when they visit…
  • powersharing works great
  • it just plugs in and charges
  • it doesn't get remotely warm while doing it
  • and I love the look/style of the unit
  • and the J-1772 handle is slick, small, and easy to handle
my _ONLY_ criticism is the that 24 ft cord is slightly stiff/hard - so sometimes it is slightly tricky to get it to lay the way you want on the ground - but that is the only issue so far - and it's honestly a minor one - but noted.

I'll be setting up my 3rd Tesla Unit today (replacing a gen-2 Tesla Wall Charger) - the 3rd unit will be a "native" Tesla plug type - and will be looped into the Powersharing setup - 3x48 amp chargers sharing 80 amps (100 amp breaker/wire) charging capacity.

I will retain an existing configured Gen2 Tesla Wall charger running at a full 19.2 kW capacity for the rare times I need such power as to control the universe and bend it to my will. Powersharing when using this unit will be a "manual" affair - and I expect usage to be rare, but appreciated when it is being done.

I'll report back on the install progress - since I know you are all hanging by a thread on my personal home EV charging setup - :rock::clap::clap::CWL:

but I do want to report - so far these things "just work" - so these are viable options if you want to go that direction.

other choices are equally excellent - and so far way way way better than the Porsche offerings in this space, higher quality, lower price, greater reliability, greater compatibilty - easier to operate.

No down side to this or other EVSE choices as noted in this, and other, thread(s)

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3rd Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger configured/installed and paired with Powersharing network - 3 48 amp chargers sharing an 80 amp circuit - and an 80 amp "backup" single Gen2 Tesla Wall Charger for those times I need to charge an EV faster than 48 amps (rare but possible).

everything is working great!

you can mix/match J-1772 and Tesla Gen3 Wall chargers!

thanks all - enjoy - this is a viable option but other choices are also great!!

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 997 GTS, 85.5 944, 16 Cayenne S, 23Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Thanks for all your feedback @daveo4EV I ordered the Tesla J-1772 today and will have the electrician back shortly. My wife's 4S CT is on Supreme Ace, on its way to Atlanta for a Dec PECATL delivery.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you confirmed interoperability with Tesla gen 3 with Tesla connectors (for load sharing)?
direct response - base on personal experience - I now have 3 Gen3 Tesla EVSE's w/Powersharing fucntional and communicating with each other…

2xGen3-J-1772 Tesla Wall Charges - 48 amps each
1xGen3-Normal Tesla Wall Charger - 48 amps
configured for powersharing w/80 amps of "shared" capacity

so far it's working great!!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all your feedback @daveo4EV I ordered the Tesla J-1772 today and will have the electrician back shortly. My wife's 4S CT is on Supreme Ace, on its way to Atlanta for a Dec PECATL delivery.
Tesla twice now has shipped a "normal" Tesla unit when ordering the J-1772 unit (once for/to me and another time for another forum member) - please check the unit for "correct" J-1772 when receiving it and prior to installation - Tesla will make it a PITA to return it if they ship you the wrong one…they should/will swap it "no problem" once you get through their automated system and can actually communicate with someone…

if you get the correct unit (98% likely) it will work great. If you get frustrated because Tesla sucks - then there are a multitude of other excellent choices detailed on this and many other threads.

enjoy!

You're going to love the PEC delivery - it's super super fun!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
an un-necessary but fun task is ordering a colors glass front for the Tesla Units ($75) - super easy to swap out prior to installation - slightly harder but not hugely difficult after installation…

I'm having fun with my colored glass fronts…

"normal" Tesla Gen3 Wall Charger the Glass Front is "white"
"J-1772" Tesla Gen3 Wall Chargers the Glass Front is "black"

alternative color are: Red, Blue, Dark Silver…for your color matching garage decor needs!!

my 3 units are as follows: Blue, Red, White - Tesla doesn't sell the "white" glass front since it's "stock" on the normal Gen3 unit.

enjoy your color matching…

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @daveo4EV I expect the worst thing about this Tesla unit will be having the name "Tesla" on our garage wall. I have great respect for what Elon has done and what he has accomplished with Tesla, but we are a Porsche household and it's unfortunate that Porsche can't get its act together sometimes. I had planned on a Charge Point but with this being out first EV, I want to keep unpleasant surprises to a minimum. Like the title of this thread states, it makes sense to get tech from a company that understands it and has a much better record of delivering. No different than when you want an incredible driving experience, you get a Porsche.

Yes, we are very excited about PECATL delivery. I always wanted factory delivery, but this will have to do. I've been to PECLA and PECATL before, but will be the first for my wife.

By the way, who do you instruct for, NASA? I too have been racing and instructing for a long time, previously in SoCal but now in Texas for the last 11 years. The majority of my time on track now is at COTA.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @daveo4EV I expect the worst thing about this Tesla unit will be having the name "Tesla" on our garage wall. I have great respect for what Elon has done and what he has accomplished with Tesla, but we are a Porsche household and it's unfortunate that Porsche can't get its act together sometimes. I had planned on a Charge Point but with this being out first EV, I want to keep unpleasant surprises to a minimum. Like the title of this thread states, it makes sense to get tech from a company that understands it and has a much better record of delivering. No different than when you want an incredible driving experience, you get a Porsche.

Yes, we are very excited about PECATL delivery. I always wanted factory delivery, but this will have to do. I've been to PECLA and PECATL before, but will be the first for my wife.

By the way, who do you instruct for, NASA? I too have been racing and instructing for a long time, previously in SoCal but now in Texas for the last 11 years. The majority of my time on track now is at COTA.
I"m certfied with PCA Nationally and also have an MSF Level 2 certification for Instructions - I LOVE COTA and I'm looking forward to going back sometime…

the Chargepoint is an excellent unit and I can also recommend it if you'd like to avoid the Tesla Logo - being a car guy and a tech guy I don't mind the Tesla Logo (EV automotive leader but weak in other area) charging my Porsche's - the best charging the best.

ChargePoint, WallBox, ClipperCreek, JuiceBox are all excellent non-Porsche and non-Tesla alternatives with excellent products and reputations.

GTSCarLife

First Name
GTS Car Life
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I"m certfied with PCA Nationally and also have an MSF Level 2 certification for Instructions - I LOVE COTA and I'm looking forward to going back sometime…

the Chargepoint is an excellent unit and I can also recommend it if you'd like to avoid the Tesla Logo - being a car guy and a tech guy I don't mind the Tesla Logo (EV automotive leader but weak in other area) charging my Porsche's - the best charging the best.

ChargePoint, WallBox, ClipperCreek, JuiceBox are all excellent non-Porsche and non-Tesla alternatives with excellent products and reputations.
Let me know if you want to come out and instruct an event at COTA. I’ll put you in touch with the right person and get you set up! Thanks again.
Sponsored