whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
direct response - base on personal experience - I now have 3 Gen3 Tesla EVSE's w/Powersharing fucntional and communicating with each other…

2xGen3-J-1772 Tesla Wall Charges - 48 amps each
1xGen3-Normal Tesla Wall Charger - 48 amps
configured for powersharing w/80 amps of "shared" capacity

so far it's working great!!
Thanks. Another curiosity question: when the two J1772's are charging (presumably 40A each), what happens if you plugin a TeslaTap to the 3rd Tesla connector (which signals the charger that an EV is connected)? Does connecting the TeslaTap take any current budget away from the J1772's?
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks. Another curiosity question: when the two J1772's are charging (presumably 40A each), what happens if you plugin a TeslaTap to the 3rd Tesla connector (which signals the charger that an EV is connected)? Does connecting the TeslaTap take any current budget away from the J1772's?
it initially drops to 80 / 3 amps for the "two working" J-1772's - so roughly 24 amps each - and then over time ramps back up to the full 40 amps each when it sees there is no actual load on the TeslaTap one…

so it's a drop in amp's (3 way split) that then corrects itself over time based on actual loads as measured by each of the EVSE's

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it initially drops to 80 / 3 amps for the "two working" J-1772's - so roughly 24 amps each - and then over time ramps back up to the full 40 amps each when it sees there is no actual load on the TeslaTap one…

so it's a drop in amp's (3 way split) that then corrects itself over time based on actual loads as measured by each of the EVSE's
Interesting. If it allows the J1772s full 40A each, that would mean the TeslaTap would have to advertise 0A available so any car connected to it later would not be able to start. I’m just trying to ascertain the feasibility of keeping a TeslaTap permanently on a load sharing Tesla charger.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Is this tech as good as their FSD tech? If so, sign me up! I love beta test worthy real world testing that kills!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. If it allows the J1772s full 40A each, that would mean the TeslaTap would have to advertise 0A available so any car connected to it later would not be able to start. I’m just trying to ascertain the feasibility of keeping a TeslaTap permanently on a load sharing Tesla charger.
TeslaTap doesn't "advertise" AMP load - the EVSE does - and J-1772 allows the advertise AMP's to change - so if there is demand - the EVSE will advertise what it can do and the car will pull that current - then if there is capacity the EVSE will up the advertised load and the car will adapt

I've watched it happen with split load EVSE's all the time…

the trick is that will split load EVSE's like Tesla/ClipperCreek/others the advertised AMP are not static but change over time…

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TeslaTap doesn't "advertise" AMP load - the EVSE does - and J-1772 allows the advertise AMP's to change - so if there is demand - the EVSE will advertise what it can do and the car will pull that current - then if there is capacity the EVSE will up the advertised load and the car will adapt

I've watched it happen with split load EVSE's all the time…

the trick is that will split load EVSE's like Tesla/ClipperCreek/others the advertised AMP are not static but change over time…
I wasn’t very clear. By “TeslaTap advertise 0A” I meant to say the EVSE to which TeslaTap is connected (which tricks the EVSE into thinking an EV is connected). So if your budget is 80A and the J1772’s are drawing 40A each, there is no current left in the budget for the fake car that is TeslaTap. When you connect TeslaTap to an actual EV, the EVSE does not see it as it thinks there has been an EV connected already, and if EV sees 0A available, then it will not start charging. This could resolve itself once the J1772s stop charging, so with all 3 EVSEs showing connected EVs and neither drawing any current, the budget will rebalance allowing the car connected to the TeslaTap to finally see available current.

I don't know if that is what would happen, just worried that it might.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
flawless thanking giving week - many many EV's charged - sometimes 3 at once - well over 500 kWh delivered in the past 2 weeks for many many many charging sessions

setup is:

2 x Tesla Gen3 J-1772 + 1 x Tesla Gen3 sharing an 80 amp charging circuit - max charge rate on each of these is 48 amps

we charged the following vehicles in the past 2 weeks:

2020 Taycan Turbo
2022 Taycan 4s
VW ID.4
Mach-E
2022 Tesla Model Y
2018 Tesla Model 3
2021 Audi eTron SUV
BMW X5 Hybrid
2021 Porsche Cayenne TurboS eHybrid

this setup is working flawlessly so far.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On sale until end of year - $350 - this is _NOT_ the J-1772 version - but has same feature set (adjustable charging to 60 amp breaker) - power sharing, and optional colored face plate…this will REQUIRE a TeslaTap (or equivalents) - but it's a great EVSE for $350

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review E905F58C-3B7F-45C9-9B99-E8FA4C94CFE5

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
…and your car from a car company.

I'm a Porsche customer because I believe they make the best cars and in other aspects of my life I gravitate towards "the best" in what ever category I'm choosing to spend money - that doesn't always mean spending a lot of money, but often the two correlate

even the most die hard Tesla hater and Porsche fan (sometimes one in the same but not always) has to admit Tesla does tech way way way better than Porsche - that doesn't mean you have to buy a Tesla vehicle, but you can leverage their tech expertise to make up for for Porsche's lack of tech expertise - and the primary way you can do that is to ditch the wonky and troublesome PMC+/PMCC and replace it with a Tesla J-1772 wall charger

I can love my Taycan and admit Porsche makes about the worst EVSE in North America and I can purchase an EVSE from someone else - cause it's not supposed to matter…

just like I did - and having spend less than 2 hours swapping my PMCC w/NEMA 14-50 plug for a Hardwired Tesla Wall Charger w/J-1772 connector - we're up and running.

all I can say is so far so good

and it's only $550

no Tesla Tap required - it comes native with one of the nicest, sleekest and easy to use J-1772 handles I've seen - and I splurged for the $75 "colored" glass front that almost matches my Gentian Blue Taycan

over the next few days and weeks I'll report on any problems but given my past experience with their EVSE's this one is a great product
  • Small
  • Easy to Install
  • Personalization with colored face plates (optional)
  • Adjustable amps (12 amp to 48 amps) - 15 to 60 amp breakers
  • best charging animation n in the business
  • LED's are also diagnostic
  • PowerShare/Load Sharing via Wifi with multiple units - so you can add a 2nd one and have it split the load when charging two or more EV's
  • easy to setup/configured via simple web-portal
    • great webportal - easy to access - no random password on a random card to lose
  • and it doesn't overheat
  • 25Ft cord to the vehicle
  • $550
https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector

order yours today and get it in like 3 business days if they ship as fast for you as they did for me

IMG_0424.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_0425.HEIC.jpeg
Update - works great - still loving it! No issues to speak of - mucho mucho use with mutliple brands of EV's over the holidays and single, double, and triple EV charging sessions all come off with out a hitch!!

so far no issues to report.

Tastes Great! Less Filling!

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
My ChargePoint Home Flex has died after about one year of use. Getting a warranty replacement from ChargePoint has been like getting teeth pulled.....

Time to re-install my Tesla Wall Connector 2 which had been trouble free....

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV
Have you noticed the Taycan somehow taking more that its "fair share" of load-balanced current? I only recently noticed that when sharing an 80A circuit with Gen2 HPWC between a 48A capable Tesla and 80A capable Taycan, they both start with 40A allocated to them, but somehow a bit later the Taycan manages to grab 42A (presumably, since Taycan doesn't show current) while the Tesla gets throttled to 38A. I was curious if this could be because Taycan draws more than allotted, and HPWC compensates by throttling cars which actually follow the limits.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no I haven't because I only have a Cayenne (30 amps) and Taycan 48 amps - I don't have two 48 amp EV's to see how they split the load…

but that is super interesting data…I think it simply might be a race condition - who ramps up "first" - I do know the Gen2 ramp up/down on amps to see if any other EV's "grab" the excess capacity - so I think if it's ramping up it's only because the wall charger "lets" it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no I haven't because I only have a Cayenne (30 amps) and Taycan 48 amps - I don't have two 48 amp EV's to see how they split the load…

but that is super interesting data…I think it simply might be a race condition - who ramps up "first" - I do know the Gen2 ramp up/down on amps to see if any other EV's "grab" the excess capacity - so I think if it's ramping up it's only because the wall charger "lets" it.
Not sure the ramp is the cause. When first plugged in together, the Model S grabs 40A/40A and Taycan shows 8.9KW. After a half hour, the Tesla has 38A/38A and Taycan shows 9.3KW. Something happens after the initial ramp-up.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
installed oct. 2022 - 3xGen3 Wall Chargers (2 J-1772 units, 1 NACS unit) powershared/load-shared for 80 amp charging capacity (100 amp breaker) - zero issues since Oct. 2022 - charged all sorts of EV's solo or 3 at once - rock solid so far.

nothing to see here.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the Tesla Wall Connect J-1772 is dead as a product - Long Live the Tesla J-1772 Wall Charger - it's been replaced with this worthy alternative - which is a dual-port charger - it support _BOTH_ NACS(Tesla) vehicles & native J-1772 vehicles!!

I have no reason to expect it to be anything but just as good as the previous J-1772 unit…

https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector

same core feature set - little bigger physically in terms of depth from the wall…

$595…can charge your Taycan and your future Ford F-150 EV w/NACS native port - seemless support both NACS & J-1772 vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited: