[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
so team - your $1120 North American 40 amp PMCC/Outdoor-grill/Toaster is now being updated via OTA update to a restricted 20 amps with _NO_ override possible to restore full 40 amp capacity that has to be reset after each power cycle on/off before you charge your vehicle.

Cayenne forum owners are claiming OTA update for PMCC now forces their max charge rate to 20 amps - with no settings override possible…[UPDATE - they are wrong - it now defaults to 20 amps and can be overridden, but the override has be performed after each power cycle of the PMCC]

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1315124-cayenne-e-hybrid-charger.html#post18376686

can anyone confirm/deny their PMCC is now restricted to 20 amps maximum charge rate?

now confirmed - see post #26

OMG - if they are in fact doing this - wow - simply wow - how disappointing - time to break out the affordable higher quality alternatives - also I'd request your money back if you paid $1120 as any option for your PMCC.

_IF_ true - I have not verified this with my personal PMCC's…

wow simply wow - and disappointing is an understatement.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
so team - your $1120 40 amp PMCC is nos being updated via OTA update to 20 amps with _NO_ override possible to restore full 40 amp capacity

Cayenne forum owners are claiming OTA update for PMCC now forces their max charge rate to 20 amps - with no settings override possible…

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1315124-cayenne-e-hybrid-charger.html#post18376686

can anyone confirm/deny their PMCC is now restricted to 20 amps maximum charge rate?

OMG - if they are in fact doing this - wow - simply wow - how disappointing - time to break out the affordable higher quality alternatives - also I'd request your money back if you paid $1120 as any option for your PMCC.

wow simply wow.
Nightmare but I'm assuming this is region specific?

I like my 32A just as they are!

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

North America only is my guess - the PMCC seems better product for other regions - in North America it is perhaps the worse EVSE on the market - it is also the most expensive.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

My still works at 32A.
During summer, when outside temperatures were 35, i noticed that cable became noticeable warm. I’m not going to say hot, but it was warmer as before.
In the garage, it was over 30C, two garage walls are 3/4 underground,(other two completely undergeound), but with opened windows.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My still works at 32A.
During summer, when outside temperatures were 35, i noticed that cable became noticeable warm. I’m not going to say hot, but it was warmer as before.
In the garage, it was over 30C, two garage walls are 3/4 underground,(other two completely undergeound), but with opened windows.
there is no date/evidence anything is being done outside of North America - the problems with the PMCC seems to limited to the 40 amp (9.6 kw) North American PMCC's

I have no data/information/evidence there any Porsche service campaign outside of North America.

but _IF_ Porsche is pushing OTA updates to North American units it's an escalation of the PMCC sh*t show…and Porsche is really really just throwing in the towel on their $3000 PMCC and admitting it's junk.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have the PMCC.
Does the PMCC require an internet connection to work? The PMC+ does not. If not, can you avoid the update by not connecting your PMCC to the internet?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have the PMCC.
Does the PMCC require an internet connection to work? The PMC+ does not. If not, can you avoid the update by not connecting your PMCC to the internet?
yes you can/could/should avoid the update if you value being able to adjust your PMCC to above 20 amps…

disabling the internet connection would remove the OTA update ability but also no longer post charging statistics to the Porsche web portal…

Tesla owners get pissed with Tesla "limits" things via OTA updates - up until now other brands owners would simply laugh and point - welcome to the modern world folks!!

_IF_ true Porsche is just as bad now as Tesla when it comes to this crap

my god the PMCC is an awful product - and Porsche seems to wanna make it worse rather than "fix" it.

I have no idea what to say other than OMG Porsche - can you perhaps also kick my dog?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My guess is that’s security/safety issue, looks as cables are not strong enough for 40A.
And -yes- I do afree that’s a huge (quality control/engineering) failure!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
there is no date/evidence anything is being done outside of North America - the problems with the PMCC seems to limited to the 40 amp (9.6 kw) North American PMCC's

I have no data/information/evidence there any Porsche service campaign outside of North America.

but _IF_ Porsche is pushing OTA updates to North American units it's an escalation of the PMCC sh*t show…and Porsche is really really just throwing in the towel on their $3000 PMCC and admitting it's junk.
My unit is 22kW rated but I only have a 32A supply so I've never really pushed it beyond 7.4kW.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My unit is 22kW rated but I only have a 32A supply so I've never really pushed it beyond 7.4kW.
At work, I’m using on 3-phase, 400V @32A without any problems.
At home, i have 3-phase, 16A only (actually 25A, but there are also other consumers, like heat-pump, cold-store, sauna, etc…)

Last edited:

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
did these users check if they set it back to higher amperage in the web interface. To my knowledge this is and should be possible. it should not be a permanent change but a new default.

Menu Settings - Charging - Electric Current. I think you can also change it via the touch display

Update: The picture in the rennlist forum suggests that it is not possible to change it via the touch display. Maybe it is only possible via the web interface using the technician user account (which everyone has)?

Last edited:

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
yes you can/could/should avoid the update if you value being able to adjust your PMCC to above 20 amps…

disabling the internet connection would remove the OTA update ability but also no longer post charging statistics to the Porsche web portal…
Thanks for posting this. I went to the garage to disable the wifi connection and of course the auto software update started! I was able to stop before installation. But yes there is definitely a new software update for the PMCC.

I now use a Clipper Creek 50 amp for charging with the PMCC in the background as backup only.
A very expensive backup.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmmm - so what is porsche going to do for new vehicle deliveries. They no longer ship an EVSE with the vehicle that can handle 9.6 kW charge rate - wow

so for home charging you new a non-Porsche EVSE to get 9.6 kW (or the real 11 kW) limit - and for mobile use you should get another EVSE for greater charging speed.

wow wow wow wow.

Reactions: B61

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Wow. It would be better if they offered a replacement or credit for a third party EVSE for those that rely on the PMCC.

I've been using a JuiceBox 40 at home and it's working great for both our EVs. I only opened the PMCC pouch to make sure it came with the car.
Sponsored