[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

jcroix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I can weigh in here, I think everyone may be reading too much into this. All this says is that if you use a non-Porsche product, and that non-Porsche product is the cause of damage to your Porsche, Porsche will not pay for that damage.

This does NOT say that if you use a non-Porsche product, then your warranty on your Porsche is void for damage that was not caused by your use of a non-Porsche product.

Every company on the planet takes exactly the same position.

Bottom line: Use whatever charger you want. If you use a non-Porsche charger and that charger damages your Porsche, go after the company to blame (i.e., the maker of the charger) for reimbursement, not Porsche.

I hope this is helpful.
This would have to be the case. After all, if you take a road trip, you can’t be expected to avoid other chargers for fear of voiding your warranty. What would they expect you to do: find a RV park at every stop to get access to a 50a outlet for you to plug your PMCC into? Go home to use your PMCC vs a nearby ChargePoint charger if you’re out running errands for the day? Electrify America DC charging, that Porsche offers for free for 3 years, would automatically void your warranty if that were the way the warranty worked (yes, I know EA was created by VW, but still…).
Sponsored

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
@daveo4EV Can the PMCC be hardwired if the issue seems to be the supply cable not being rated for 40A use? I have a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector, GE WattStation and Siemens VersiCharge. They all have 14-50/6-50 plugs and the NEMA plug is just connected to the 3 lug connectors inside the unit. I removed the NEMA plug and hardwired GE WattStation and Siemens VersiCharge.

I haven't seen the internal of PMCC but can't the PMCC be hardwired this way if the supply cable is just a pigtail connected to the 3 lug connectors inside?

Pardon me if this has already been answered but I read through at least 10 different threads and didn't come across it.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I think the pigtails might be smarter than that - they seem to tell the unit what charging current it can pull. I could be wrong, and maybe it’s as simple as the different pigtails making different connections inside the unit.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@daveo4EV Can the PMCC be hardwired if the issue seems to be the supply cable not being rated for 40A use? I have a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector, GE WattStation and Siemens VersiCharge. They all have 14-50/6-50 plugs and the NEMA plug is just connected to the 3 lug connectors inside the unit. I removed the NEMA plug and hardwired GE WattStation and Siemens VersiCharge.

I haven't seen the internal of PMCC but can't the PMCC be hardwired this way if the supply cable is just a pigtail connected to the 3 lug connectors inside?

Pardon me if this has already been answered but I read through at least 10 different threads and didn't come across it.
anything can be jury rigged - but the PMC+/PMCC supply cable is modular - and the PMC+/PMCC is porsche proprietary…so you'd have to "hack" together a supply cable with the custom porsche connector - cracking open the PMC+/PMCC is potentially possible, but honestly a waste of time given there are suitable alternatives for $200 - the PMC+/PMCC isn't that strong of an EVSE product to make it worth while to "salvage" it in my opinion…there is nothing about the PMC+/PMCC that worth retaining in my opinion...

the most straight forward solution is an alternative EVSE for very very little money and effort.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the pigtails might be smarter than that - they seem to tell the unit what charging current it can pull. I could be wrong, and maybe it’s as simple as the different pigtails making different connections inside the unit.
yes this is true…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
anything can be jury rigged - but the PMC+/PMCC supply cable is modular - and the PMC+/PMCC is porsche proprietary…so you'd have to "hack" together a supply cable with the custom porsche connector - cracking open the PMC+/PMCC is potentially possible, but honestly a waste of time given there are suitable alternatives for $200 - the PMC+/PMCC isn't that strong of an EVSE product to make it worth while to "salvage" it in my opinion…there is nothing about the PMC+/PMCC that worth retaining in my opinion...

the most straight forward solution is an alternative EVSE for very very little money and effort.
this post - shows the "porsche" end of the power supply cable - you'd have to "hack" a better supply cable and "meld" it into one of these connectors - possible source for one of these connectors? a porsche supply cable "part" from Porsche parts - $200 - I can purchase an entire EVSE that won't overheat/melt for that price…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/page-7#post-26697

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? 69215DB3-75AA-4132-801D-C760B969AC72

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes this is true…
that the cables are "smart" - there are extra connection points inside the porsche supply cable to "tell" the PMC+/PMCC the cable's rated capacity - so that the EVSE can inform the vehicle as to the maximum AMPs to be pulled…

this post shows the internal structure of the proprietary Porsche supply cable connector.

any "hacking" of the PMC+/PMCC would have to be via one of these connectors - or cracking open the PMC+/PMCC which I consider futile and illadvised in terms of effort and potential outcomes…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/page-7#post-26697

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag

I agree with using an alternative EVSE but PCNA charged $1140 for this brick so thought I might be able to put it to use for its intended purpose rather than a tire shock, vessel anchor or a weapon 😅

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? useless_pmcc

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Frozen Berry, BMW X1 (F48)
Country flag
Reverting to 20amp was just a bug according to this official service document.

I disabled the sleep mode from the web application interface, it never reverted to 20amp.

Attachments

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
This is great news. Three questions: If Sleep Mode is disabled will that result in the PMC+/PMCC being on continually? Would that risk significant wear-and-tear on the unit over time? If on constantly would there be a significant use of electricity from the 220v line over time?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is great news. Three questions: If Sleep Mode is disabled will that result in the PMC+/PMCC being on continually? Would that risk significant wear-and-tear on the unit over time? If on constantly would there be a significant use of electricity from the 220v line over time?
It would just be the display is always on and WiFi if active. Low power draw IMHO.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think @daveo4EV did a measurement about the drain and it was very small. But I could not find that just now!
Sponsored