[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
yeah - this is going to go well once people start figuring this out - 99.9% of Taycan owners don't know or realize this is happening…or will realize how to fix it if it impacts them.
another poster mentioned something about a class action lawsuit.
I wonder if there is any real merit to that?
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
another poster mentioned something about a class action lawsuit.
I wonder if there is any real merit to that?
yeah this will be a class action - no doubt - eventually once everyone realizes what's going on - me I'm even more dubious of lawyer's and class actions than I am about the PMCC and this roll out. I believe they do more harm than good - and I have my opinions that this OTA update is about defending against one type of class-action (PMCC behavior with crappy poorly installed 14-50 sockets which are not Porsche's fault but they will be blamed) but they will cause a new class-action in that they changed a product specification after the fact with no notice or recourse…Porsche is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't…it is a very very hard situation for them and I do not envy their position.

if there is a class action it wont' come from me - not my thing.

but I'll keep asking Porsche to do better cause i really really really don't want to have to go back to Tesla.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it time to update the Roadwarrior threads with new recommendations @daveo4EV ? What are folks favorite alternative EVSE these days ? Mustart’s?

The Tesla one’s appear perpetually sold out.

Ironically, I’ve literally never used Porsche’s evse. EA and charging at work, and teslatap. I didn’t plan it that way.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for letting us know about this. Mine indeed updated today and I’m not happy. Just ordered the Mustart charger (BTW, it’s sold out on their website, but for now is still available on Amazon). I plan to head to my dealer this week with the Porsche EVSE and demand a refund on it. That thing is insanely expensive and now it’s by far become the worst product on the market for level 2 (barely) charging. Totally unacceptable…
Let us know how it goes. I've also emailed my SA to ask for a refund.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Disabled my WiFi (never used it anyway); did anyone verify if the reboot amperage could be set using the tech login vs the user login?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
the breaker that is tripping is the INTERNAL breaker to the PMCC unit itself - NOT the external breaker on the electrical circuit - when charging my son's Tesla (or actually any non-VW/Audi/Porsche EV) the internal breaker on the PMCC trips regardless of how low I set the charging AMP's on the Tesla - it's really really ridiculous.
Yea, I was curious what the internal breaker is, it is inline or perhaps a supply breaker for just the logic. I'll wait for people to start unloading their nerfed PMCC's, maybe pick one up or swap with someone for a Tesla charger, take a look inside, so a little reverse engineering, perhaps use it as an example of what not to do in my professional work.

Deleted member 7736

ok this just happened…
  • Taycan @ 48% SOC
  • I plug in the PMCC
  • I override the default 20 amp and set the charge rate to 40 amps - cause I know to do that
  • Taycan's "departure" time calculation calculates it needs to start charging at 4 am'ish to hit my target SOC at 6 am (my set departure time)
  • taycan starts to charge @ 4 am'ish - (while I'm asleep)
  • power-grid/supply blips for 15 seconds about 4:20 am - PMCC shuts down - comes back when power is restored - but is now back to default 20 amp setting
    • vehicle no longer has "time" to reach target SOC by departure time because it's charging at 1/2 the rate it originally calculated
    • car sends "error" notifications to the Porsche app that "target" charge level can not be reached!!
  • visit the car at 6:15 to find it's not at the proper target SOC because it lost power during the charging session and defaulted back to 20 amps…so it spend what ever time it had remaining charging at 20 amps instead of 40 amps
NOTE: I hate departure time scheduleing for this exact reason - but that's an entirely separate issue - Porsche shoudl support both schedule driving charging (start charging @ this set time) & depature time charging for those that want it…but that's not me.

yeah - this is going to go well once people start figuring this out - 99.9% of Taycan owners don't know or realize this is happening…or will realize how to fix it if it impacts them.
To play devil's advocate for a moment, this "problem" is partly of your own making. If you had left it at 20A it still would have had plenty of time to charge to your desired state of charge by your departure time. It would have just had to start a bit sooner. But even with the power blip it would have resumed and been ready to go. Your attempt to "outsmart" it by overriding to 40A is what caused the problem.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To play devil's advocate for a moment, this "problem" is partly of your own making. If you had left it at 20A it still would have had plenty of time to charge to your desired state of charge by your departure time. It would have just had to start a bit sooner. But even with the power blip it would have resumed and been ready to go. Your attempt to "outsmart" it by overriding to 40A is what caused the problem.
it would've started too early and be outside the off-peak rates for charging and cost me more money to charge the vehicle.

you are clearly fine with Porsche turning your Taycan into a vehicle that requires 18 hours to fully charge from 5% SOC - I can see that - I am not ok with that.

Deleted member 7736

it would've started too early and be outside the off-peak rates for charging and cost me more money to charge the vehicle.

you are clearly fine with Porsche turning your Taycan into a vehicle that requires 18 hours to fully charge from 5% SOC - I can see that - I am not ok with that.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm not "fine" with anything. I'm simply responding to your specific example.

In your example, the car needed to start charging at 4AM to be ready by 6AM at 40A. Therefore, at 20A it would have had to start at 2AM. I'm guessing you're on PG&E, like me. I dont' know what rate plan you're on but I'm on the EV2-A rate plan, where "off-peak" is 12AM to 3PM. So in this example it would have been the same cost whether the car started charging at 2AM or 4AM.

Again (and at the risk of quoting you to yourself). If you're not "fine" with the PMCC, pay the $349 and buy another EVSE. There are things in this world that warrant being outraged over. This is a first-world problem.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
by this logic we're supposed to just accept that the PMCC is now a 4.8 kW EVSE and not a 9.6 KW EVSE as Porsche originally represented when they sold it to all of us.

I didn't pay for 4.8 kW EVSE or pay my electrician to install a 4.8 kW NEMA 14-50 plug

sure it will work for some small charging applications/scenarios but if you need enough kWh sometimes a 4.8 kW EVSE just won't do the job in a reasonable amount of time - and again it's not what Porsche represented the product as when they sold it to me.

it's fraud - and if any other vendor were doing this you'd agree. And certain vendors you'd be leading the charge as an example of how bad they are.

Deleted member 7736

Dave, everyone here agrees with you that the PMCC is a poor EVSE. Does that make you feel better? Not sure we needed 8 pages to sort that out, but you're apparently getting paid by the word on this thread.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you're welcome to ignore me - the forum has that feature - we're just sorting facts.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Personally I am way more concerned having my car arrive with Continental all seasons than with the EVSE being derated.
Sponsored