[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the $1500 Porsche Wall Charger might be ok in this whole thing - and is adjustable and hardwired for 12-80 amp charge rates matching most any breaker size you would normally install…

while I'm not sure if it's a good charger or not - I am sure Porsche isn't nerfing it's charge rate because of an overheating plug socket - that problem does not exist on the Wall Charger because it's a hardwired charger.

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/

it's price point of $1586 is more in line with competitive offerings in the up to 80 amp (19.2 kW) charging range…but still not cheap - and cheaper than the PMCC
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
the $1500 Porsche Wall Charger might be ok in this whole thing - and is adjustable and hardwired for 12-80 amp charge rates matching most any breaker size you would normally install…

while I'm not sure if it's a good charger or not - I am sure Porsche isn't nerfing it's charge rate because of an overheating plug socket - that problem does not exist on the Wall Charger because it's a hardwired charger.

it's price point of $1586 is more in line with competitive offerings in the up to 80 amp (19.2 kW) charging range…but still not cheap - and cheaper than the PMCC
That's what I have. It's just the cabinet. Sadly, you also need the PMCC (which you can see through that oval hole).

That's why I said I would never admit defeat by removing it . . .

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's what I have. It's just the cabinet. Sadly, you also need the PMCC (which you can see through that oval hole).

That's why I said I would never admit defeat by removing it . . .
that is NOT what you have - you have the Porsche Mobile Charger cabinet which is a large/fancy wall mount for the PMCC or PMC+

the Porsche Wall Charger is a full functioning hardwired EVSE that external appearance looks a lot like the Porsche Wall Cabinet

they are two separate products

this item pictured below

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? Temp Measurements Porsche Charger

is NOT the same as this

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.23.24 PM

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag
And good luck getting a Porsche Wall Charger. They have been out of stock for over a month now. I wonder if somehow this is all connected. Porsche told me they should be coming back into inventory by Early October.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I'm not sure I would have any more confidence in that charger . . . The fact that Porsche hasn't said anything (yet) does not mean that it does not also suffer design flaws.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure I would have any more confidence in that charger . . . The fact that Porsche hasn't said anything (yet) does not mean that it does not also suffer design flaws.
I agree with your sentiment - but the ostensible problem with the current PMC+/PMCC products is related to the NEMA sockets and Porsche is claiming "it's not my fault" people are using crappy quality sockets (an assertion for which they may not be wrong)

my ONLY hope for the Wall charger is:
  • it is NOT socket based - it's hardwired only - so the problems with the PMC+/PMCC do not exist for this product
  • there is no "supply" cable from porsche -just the unit for hardwire hook up
  • it's not mobile so there are not design constraints on internal components
  • it seems more reasonably priced for what it is - it's not as outrageously priced vs. similarly competitive products
I'm wiling to cut Porsche some slack here until there is evidence this unit has issues - to date I have not seen any evidence of any problems with this particular EVSE product from Porsche

I have my opinions on the PMC+/PMCC products and they are backed by evidence in my opinion

the Wall charger is a new thing and I think until it's proven problematic we can't just say is the same as the older more problematic product we're talking about.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
The Audi mobile charger is the same device, just different UI. Take a look at its back and you‘ll see the same supplier. One could try its cable to see if it is better ;)

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

But it appears to be unavailable. I wonder why?

Interesting that in the image on the website the charging cable look beefy - much larger than the PMCC.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The PMCC is better at charging the sometimes heated debate in this thread than at charging our Taycans.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But it appears to be unavailable. I wonder why?

Interesting that in the image on the website the charging cable look beefy - much larger than the PMCC.
it supports up to 19.2 kW charging (80 amp charge rate with/100 amp breaker) - beefy cabling is required for that.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche NA Letter Update

I just got off a call with a representative of Porsche NA. Apparently my letter to the CEO was sent to him. He apologized for the lack of performance of the PMCC, and wanted to know my thoughts on how to resolve this.

I told him that first of all, Porsche NA needs to improve its communication. The last email I received was inadequate in so many ways. What I think all US Taycan owners need to hear is that Porsche NA is aware that the PMCC has a problem; that they own that; that they will try their best to make it right; and that they will give all of us an update in 30 days.

I mentioned that that a solution that does not require us to all bring our PMCC units into the Dealer is preferred. It is likely that the cables are likely undersized, and that if I received new cables I could replace them myself.

If there is a concern that some Taycan owners have insufficient wiring in their garage for the PMCC, I suggested they offer an inspection option. There is a possibility that some of us are using non-industrial quality NEMA 14-50 sockets, or wiring that is smaller than 6 gauge - if so that is a legitimate concern and Porsche NA is free to inspect my setup if they wish.

I was very complementary about the Taycan overall, and said I was very disappointed that such a great car was paired with this flawed PMCC charging device. I also mentioned that I have 2 of these, neither of which works as good as a $700 unit I can get on Amazon.

In terms of timeframe I told him that with improved communication on Porsche NA's part I could easily go into a holding pattern for 30 days. If it sounds like a fix is on the way, maybe 60 days. But not longer than that. After 60 days I'll have a new EVSE of some sort in my garage, and two PMCC bricks in the basement.

At the end of the call he said the Porsche NA rep said he would work on this issue and give me a call in about a week with an update.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
When I started having trouble with my PMC+ this summer, I was going down the road of hoping for a recall/repair.

I don't usually take good advice - it's a flaw. In this instance though I did take the good advice of @daveo4EV who suggested the best move was to give up on it and just get something else.

I didn't want to - paying for an EVSE negates a lot of fuel savings - but I just had a feeling we'd never see a proper recall/replacement.

Time/stress/hassle has value too, so I bit the bullet and got a decent price on Wallbox during Amazon Prime Day.

I haven't had a lick of trouble since I went this route and I'm glad for once I was able to learn from people smarter than myself, rather than torture myself doing it the hard way first.

For those who want to dO ThEiR OwN ReSEaRCH here are some very informative reviews from Tom Moloughney. He does an excellent job going over the features and usability of the units as well as covering their app and smart features.

Electrify America HomeStation:

Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48Amp (hardwired version):

Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40Amp (NEMA 14-50 version):

ClipperCreek HCS-40P:

ChargePoint Home Flex:

Enel-X JuiceBox EV:

Grizzl-E Classic:

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Porsche NA Letter Update

I just got off a call with a representative of Porsche NA. Apparently my letter to the CEO was sent to him. He apologized for the lack of performance of the PMCC, and wanted to know my thoughts on how to resolve this.

I told him that first of all, Porsche NA needs to improve its communication. The last email I received was inadequate in so many ways. What I think all US Taycan owners need to hear is that Porsche NA is aware that the PMCC has a problem; that they own that; that they will try their best to make it right; and that they will give all of us an update in 30 days.

I mentioned that that a solution that does not require us to all bring our PMCC units into the Dealer is preferred. It is likely that the cables are likely undersized, and that if I received new cables I could replace them myself.

If there is a concern that some Taycan owners have insufficient wiring in their garage for the PMCC, I suggested they offer an inspection option. There is a possibility that some of us are using non-industrial quality NEMA 14-50 sockets, or wiring that is smaller than 6 gauge - if so that is a legitimate concern and Porsche NA is free to inspect my setup if they wish.

I was very complementary about the Taycan overall, and said I was very disappointed that such a great car was paired with this flawed PMCC charging device. I also mentioned that I have 2 of these, neither of which works as good as a $700 unit I can get on Amazon.

In terms of timeframe I told him that with improved communication on Porsche NA's part I could easily go into a holding pattern for 30 days. If it sounds like a fix is on the way, maybe 60 days. But not longer than that. After 60 days I'll have a new EVSE of some sort in my garage, and two PMCC bricks in the basement.

At the end of the call he said the Porsche NA rep said he would work on this issue and give me a call in about a week with an update.
Very interesting, please share any outcome from this conversation. As mentioned previously, my '21 Audi e-tron has a similar charger with heavier gauge wires that runs much cooler. Can't believe my '22 Porsche doesn't have the heavy guage wire.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche NA Letter Update

this is a great update - thank you for sharing it - I really appreciate it

one thing to keep clear any hardware "fix" (new cable or what not) will also need to be co-ordinated with a software release to "undo" the default 20 amp setting - so addressing this now will require both a hardware change/fix - and a software update to the unit so that it no longer defaults to 50%

but this is great progress and I hope Porsche takes this feedback seriously.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Porsche NA Letter Update

Thanks so much for taking this on.
Sponsored