First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, 4S+ on order
Country flag
Has anyone done it in a Taycan!

Subject to lockdown restrictions being relaxed, we currently have a booking in August to go and stay north of the border for a week or so.

While we are in that part of the country, I really fancy doing NC500 but I can imagine being as remote as it is there won’t be much in the way of public charging.

We have a six year old so would want to book a few different accommodations and split it into three or four different legs, so overnight charging at the accommodations should be feasible, but just interested to hear if anyone has already attempted it and if so what your experience was like?

Porsche Taycan North coast 500. 7E1E0CC3-4052-41F2-9CA9-5F2F9926EBD1
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

I haven't tried this yet but plan to do a reckie in my Boxster before attempting in my Taycan. My guess is that there is woeful provision for charging in general (sad but true) and as the Taycan has fairly limited range planning top ups is a must.

The following link might help with planning - Ecosse EV - ignore the Tesla bias, but ChargePlace Scotland (ChargePlace Scotland) is likely to be most prevalent but don't expect anything beyond 50 kW DC if there are any which could limit you to slow AC charging only (11kW AC onboard charger is standard on the Taycan unless the 22kW one has been spec'd on a MY21 Taycan).

I had a brief look at the ChargePlace Scotland live map and there are several rapid chargers (50kW CCS) listed on or near the route so things are improving (not checked if these have been provisioned or not). Suggest taking a look at this first (and with ZapMap for all chargers) - you might be in luck!

Some hotels (Torridon) have destination charging which may be available to non-Tesla users but I would check with the hotel first). There is an IONITY 350kW charger in Perth which you might factor in for some part of your journey. If you also plan to take in the islands for the "full monty tour" then charging options could be a limiting factor - again check first.

As a fall back take your Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (with the 13 Amp plug connector) with you as a belts and braces measure.

HeliCraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Lexus RX450h
Country flag
I did this during this summer, in the month we were allowed, but in a petrol car (Lexus RX450h); so can’t comment on the practicalities of doing it in an EV from a charging point of view.

Other than the obvious: It is stunning, mind-blowingly so, a number of the roads are tracks and single carriageway. Be VERY careful how far over you move to let people pass, else you’ll end up in a ditch like I do.

I’d say you want to plan on more than 4 nights though, to do it justice. (Although there isn’t much to see / do in the North East leg of the route). I’ve got a great PDF with hotels / routing / attraction information in. Drop me a DM on here with your email and I’ll ping it over.

And if you fancy a brew and a Taycan chat whilst you pass J28 of the M6 (assuming you’re from south) then I’m literally a minute off it.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
I would also add that on zap-map you might be able to locate personal locations that might be useful in an emergency/last ditch for a 7kw charge, not quick and that will be the limiting factor on that timescale. I also want to do this so will watch the thread with interest.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I have done the 500 many times in various porsches but not the Taycan yet. It looks do-able but I don’t think it would be very stress free. There are quite a few 50kw chargers and the most important factor will be the reliability of those chargers and if they are already in use. Some stretches of the 500 don’t have much of a plan B in case of the above. We plan to tackle the roUte in the Taycan in April so I can report back after that. Lockdown permitting.....

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
There are a lot more chargers than shown on the NC500 website. This is Zap-Map, over 50kw chargers
Porsche Taycan North coast 500. 7F25FF75-8170-4199-86B1-A062244E8E2B

OP
OP

///Marty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, 4S+ on order
Country flag
Excellent!
The wife is on board and I’ve put my deposit down today so this will give me a couple of months to get used to the car and then this will potentially my first big road trip in a Porsche of any kind.

June can’t come quick enough!

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Excellent!
The wife is on board and I’ve put my deposit down today so this will give me a couple of months to get used to the car and then this will potentially my first big road trip in a Porsche of any kind.

June can’t come quick enough!
Cue multiple requests to dealer for status updates and learning how to track ships :) I did all that!

OP
OP

///Marty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, 4S+ on order
Country flag
Cue multiple requests to dealer for status updates and learning how to track ships :) I did all that!
Oh Yes I'm sure there will be plenty of that to come although deposit only placed yesterday so will give them a small chance to catch up first. ?

Didn't I read you can now track the progress of the order from the factory now somewhere online?

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Oh Yes I'm sure there will be plenty of that to come although deposit only placed yesterday so will give them a small chance to catch up first. ?

Didn't I read you can now track the progress of the order from the factory now somewhere online?
It has been suggested, may be USA specific but worth asking!

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have done the NC500 in a Tesla which has a similar range to the Taycan. It is fairly straightforward. You must have a ChargePlace Scotland card (or a ChargeYourCar card) as the app is not reliable. You must also check the comments in ZapMap or PlugShare to see if there have been issues at the chargers you wish to use.
Sponsored