First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport, Taycan Turbo, 911 Turbo cab
Country flag
Hi Guys
Driving east to west across Northern Italy whats anybodies fast charging esperience been like, looks easy enough to get down to Italy using Tesla for non Tesla and Ionity, but then what ?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi Guys
Driving east to west across Northern Italy whats anybodies fast charging esperience been like, looks easy enough to get down to Italy using Tesla for non Tesla and Ionity, but then what ?
There are -lenty of Ionity stations in Northern Italy as well as many other HPC. You should have no problems at all.

Check out Charge finder and set the charge rate to more than 250 kW. Plenty of chargers.

Here are some of Ionity chargers!
Porsche Taycan Northern Italy charging experience 639B4DC1-DA45-4C70-ABC4-45AB3485099E

4MBN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5, TTSCT
Country flag
Hi Guys
I was there at the beginning of June. No issues. Drove from France, into Switzerland and then to Stresa. Used the charge planner and plug and charged worked a treat in Italy. Have fun!

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Quite good. There's a good coverage of fast DC among Ionity, EnelX, BeCharge and more. You just need to plan well (have plans b in case) and have the right tools for the job.

in my opinion:
- Black Porsche card for Ionity
- juicepass (enelx) will work with most of the non Ionity networks and you can purchase cost efficient packages 24h before need (named "flat" small or large giving you 70kwh for 25 eur or 145kwh for 45 eur)
- nextcharge (or similar, but next is one of the most accurate) to double check availability of stalls

happy to provide more details

OP
OP

Bill C

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was there at the beginning of June. No issues. Drove from France, into Switzerland and then to Stresa. Used the charge planner and plug and charged worked a treat in Italy. Have fun!
Thanks

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I am planning a trip to northern Italy too in a couple of weeks. I can charge at the rental house. They have a European wall socket and an Italian one. Just to be sure I ordered the Italian plug for the charger (120 euro). You might also consider this I already have the European one but you probably have the UK one.

and I also installed the enel X Juice pass app and configured with my credit card. Took a couple of hours to be active if I remember. Might be worthwhile to do this in advance.

And I have rfid cards: Porsche, shell recharge, Plug surfing and Maingau.

Maingau should be best in Germany and Enel X in Italy.

I also activated the Tesla app but this just takes a couple of minutes. I plan to use the one in Arlon Belgium and on the way back in Ulm Germany. Both have more than 30 chargers and this might come in handy on busy days.

Just don’t forget the device to activate your credit card. For one app I couldn’t activate it with my bank app but I had to put the card in the “calculator” thing and enter the code.

Porsche Taycan Northern Italy charging experience 42E72BD9-9C9F-4067-BB08-205E03198396

Porsche Taycan Northern Italy charging experience 9F9E90CF-A7D7-48BE-8A84-16F4D407FF62

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Ionity is all you need. Why use the others that cost more?
Just in case. First longer trip. Like to be prepared. When returned home I will probably say the same as you do now.

for the Tesla chargers: between Brussels and norther France Thera are only 2 fast chargers both Ionity. One with 4 and one with 5. Tesla is just in between and has 30 chargers. The Ionity ones are already very busy now during holiday a queue will be garanteed. If I use the Tesla SC I can make it to a 10 place allego charger close to Strasbourg.

going back I will go through Germany and it will be ok with Ionity. Just figured that the Tesla one with 30 chargers in Ulm with be handy if I see that the Ionity ones are occupied.

Tomorrow we are going to Deauville using only 2 Ionity chargers. perfectly located and 7 and 5 chargers. Should be ok. Nothing else available in north west France either but according to the French news before the end of the year each peage parking should have a fast charger.

OP
OP

Bill C

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just in case. First longer trip. Like to be prepared. When returned home I will probably say the same as you do now.

for the Tesla chargers: between Brussels and norther France Thera are only 2 fast chargers both Ionity. One with 4 and one with 5. Tesla is just in between and has 30 chargers. The Ionity ones are already very busy now during holiday a queue will be garanteed. If I use the Tesla SC I can make it to a 10 place allego charger close to Strasbourg.

going back I will go through Germany and it will be ok with Ionity. Just figured that the Tesla one with 30 chargers in Ulm with be handy if I see that the Ionity ones are occupied.

Tomorrow we are going to Deauville using only 2 Ionity chargers. perfectly located and 7 and 5 chargers. Should be ok. Nothing else available in north west France either but according to the French news before the end of the year each peage parking should have a fast charger.
That’s very similar to my plans, full charge at eurotunnel then Ionity until Ulm

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
That’s very similar to my plans, full charge at eurotunnel then Ionity until Ulm
I am using the one in Coquelles tomorrow to go to Deauville. I also used it a couple of weeks ago. Enough chargers. They all worked and there is a Hoilday in at 10 meters distance for toilet and a coffee.
Have a nice trip and let us know how it worked out.
I checked pictures of the Ulm supercharger and it has the best charger configuration to charge a Taycan.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Ionity is all you need. Why use the others that cost more?
I have a lot of experience about Italy. Depends where in northern Italy. Westbound Ionity has basically no coverage after Milan. Also some Ionity (e.g. Trento) are targeted by many tourists and locals. So you need a plan B to avoid queueing up behind some dumbf**ks who for some reason think it’s a good idea to use a 350 kw nominal stall (ionity) to charge cars which max out at 60 kw.

In short, best is to complement Ionity/Porsche rfid with JuicePass (EnelX)

Last edited:

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a lot of experience about Italy. Depends where in northern Italy. Westbound Ionity has basically no coverage after Milan. Also some Ionity (e.g. Trento) are targeted by many tourists and locals. So you need a plan B to avoid queueing up behind some dumbf**ks who for some reason think it’s a good idea to use a 350 kw nominal stall (ionity) to charge cars which max out at 60 kw.

In short, best is to complement Ionity/Porsche rfid with JuicePass (EnelX)
Good to know. We did Lausanne to Krk, Croatia, yesterday (Saturday stopping at Aosta, Milan, Verona and Slovenia and there were no queues. Usually all 4 free 🤷‍♂️. Ionity work, are fast and cheap with the Porsche card

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Ionity work, are fast and cheap with the Porsche card
I am so surprised (and happy) that IONITY have not yet raised their prices considering the recent increases in wholesale electricity costs across Europe. I wonder how long can their current prices last?