First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Norway road-trip 2C6F980A-CE62-4439-A49D-9184EEF70657

I am planning a road trip to northern Norway during winter time (after coronavirus ) and could do with some pointers from locals or folk experienced in the region.

I’ve never driven further north than Oslo before.
  • Would normal European (i.e. not Nordic) winter tyres be adequate?
  • Should I consider snow chains as a safety net?
  • Will it be “normal” to get a charge at hotels on the way?
  • If no dedicated chargers, will hotels have sockets that a EVSE charger could be plugged in?
Thanks for any tips and hope this will be possible by 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That looks like an adventure.

I think you will be fine with European winter tyres. I have used such tyres driving up to and in Sweden. They work well in the Alps in Switzerland and Austria as well.

There are quite a few hotels that have EV chargers, but not all of them. Norway has a very good build out of charging stations, but might be a bit thin on stations above 100 kW in the more northern parts.

Look through some of the videos from TeslaBjörn and see how he has done a lot of trips up to the north of Norway. He does it in his Tesla but also a number of other EVs. He gives some good indications at places with good fast chargers etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/videos

Pepperkake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
2C6F980A-CE62-4439-A49D-9184EEF70657.png

I am planning a road trip to northern Norway during winter time (after coronavirus ) and could do with some pointers from locals or folk experienced in the region.

I’ve never driven further north than Oslo before.
  • Would normal European (i.e. not Nordic) winter tyres be adequate?
  • Should I consider snow chains as a safety net?
  • Will it be “normal” to get a charge at hotels on the way?
  • If no dedicated chargers, will hotels have sockets that a EVSE charger could be plugged in?
Thanks for any tips and hope this will be possible by 2022.

Hi, just noticed your post, curious if you got to take the drive?

First of all im not that sure about the European "winter" tyres as you could experience very harsh conditions basically everywhere along your route here in Norway. Sat a time for your planned trip?

Also, you are missing out on one of the most beautiful stretch of road which is placed on the west coast of Norway, especially "the Atlantic road", check it out here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean_Road

Tim123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you understand german (Or you may use the subtitles). The following video is quite nice to watch ;)

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, just noticed your post, curious if you got to take the drive?
Not yet – it has not been possible with lockdowns - current plan is either Nov 2021 or Feb 2022.

First of all im not that sure about the European "winter" tyres as you could experience very harsh conditions basically everywhere along your route here in Norway.
My current thinking was ordinary winter tyres (which I can also use back in Ireland) and snow chains for "emergency" use if we were unlucky enough to get stuck. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Also, you are missing out on one of the most beautiful stretch of road which is placed on the west coast of Norway, especially "the Atlantic road", check it out here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean_Road
Yes, I've tuned my route now to go from Hirtshals in Denmark to Bergen (skipping Oslo - which I've been to many times) and sticking to Western Norway for the trip.

Still looking forward to the trip so much – lockdown is horrible.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I watched the full video - just finished - I thought it was great and really gives a sense of the scenery, conditions, charging challenges and general "feel" of the area and trip.

I feel like it was more of an "EV" trip than a Tesla which really didn't get that much focus. Also, my swiss-made EVSE (https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/juice-booster-2-master-traveller.html) was shown in action a few times.

Very educational.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
@tigerbalm: You plan to drive further north, than I've been in my own country - and I´m a Norwegian. I normally travel over the mountains between east and west. Very embarassing indeed :CWL:

I support @Pepperkake regarding involving "the Atlantic road" in your route. You really shouldn't miss that experience and opportunity, now when you have the chance on this trip!

PS The weather conditions can change very suddenly up in the mountains, with wind, heavy snow and no visebility. Even if looks good and safe lower down, it can be impossible and dangerous higher up, which is a big surprise for many. Some roads are closed during winter time, and other mountain passes are often only allowed in so called "kollonnekjoering" (a smaller group of vehicle followed by a leader in the front and the back). Then there might be hour gaps in between, which means sometimes long time waiting. Therefore during your travel, search road announcements usually found at www.vegvesen.no and follow local instructions. Also remember to have extra warm cloths, blankets, a shovel for digging if stuck, plus enough food and beverage, in case of blocked road or an emergency. I was stuck in an opening of a tunnel once in over 16 hours, freezing my but off, with neither of the advised gear - that was no fun. It might happen when you least expect it, so it's better to be prepared. That's my winter driving tip, learned the hard way ;) And lastly, good winter tyres are an absolute must!

Last edited:

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Road trip through Norway in winter would definitely be an experience. I did the reverse trip in summer a couple of years back, but with my BMW touring. Quickly driving up through the forests in Sweden & Finland, then down again through Norway by way of Nordkapp & Lofoten.

I’m halfway planning a Taycan trip from where I live, Bergen, and up to Lofoten Islands sticking mostly to the coastline (Helgeland coast). So that would be pretty much the same route you’re contemplating. But not decided on when yet. The virus messes up all plans all the time.

I’m not familiar with the charging situation north of Trondheim, but I’m expecting it to gradually improve as time goes by.

Just a few tips based on my close to 40 years of experience driving in Norway:
- I would definitely recommend proper winter tires if you are planning on traveling during that season! Snow chains, even if they are usable on a Taycan, is not something you can drive with for many miles. And you will have to be able to do that. Another issues is that when the situation where you’d need the chains arises, it’s probably already too late to stop and change. You need a safe place to do that, and the mountains in Norway are not known for their spacious and shielded rest areas.

Just last weekend I was going up to my cabin - and the relatively fair weather conditions in the valleys going up changed totally on the high mountain plains with heavy snow and winds, making it nearly impossible to even see the next marker stick that the plow trucks navigate by - let alone the road. I had to crawl along at 20-30 km/h hoping that I’d spot the said oncoming plow truck in time, trying to see the next marker and at the same time watching out for any possible car coming up behind so that it didn’t hit me if I had to break hard. It was a total whiteout, and it could happen in seconds. Snow is piling up quickly due to the wind, and if you stop, you risk being snowed in and stuck in seconds. You definitely do not have time to put on chains.

- also, for a road trip of any length over here, I usually bring along a spare tire, a jack and tools for a tire change. This has saved me several times, because the road that for miles has been ok suddenly turns into pothole hell, taking out the tire and/or the rim. Traveling around the Oslo area is unfortunately no indication on the general condition of the roads over here (that’s where all the tax money go on road building & maintenance due to the population count, the rest of the country is years behind). On my previous Norwegian Grand Tour I had a rim thrown out of shape by a pothole close to Hammerfest, and as luck would have it those things always happen on a Friday evening or later in the weekend, when there’s no garages or tire suppliers open in the next 100 miles - not joking. So unless you‘ve planned for this, you may be lucky to get a tow truck come by within the next 6 hours - and he’ll only take you as far as the “nearest” garage - which is closed until Monday - unless it’s a holiday in which it’s open next week - maybe. And please, do not think that the “tire repair kit” that Porsche has thrown in the trunk/frunk will be worth a penny. The roads over here will most likely have torn open half the inside tire wall by the time you manage to pull over. Again, spoken out of actual experience - was stuck for most of a Saturday in Seljord (Norway’s Loch Ness - they claim to have a lake monster too) on a road trip with the BMW convertible because I stupidly did not bring that extra tire (cramped car that 3-series cab, and the wife needed her extra change of clothes in the trunk).

This is not to dissuade you from taking the trip! It is definitely worth it and will be quite an experience. Just plan for it properly, remembering that Norway is nothing like Ireland (been there several times - love it!) - except for the rain maybe. There’s not always another farm around the next corner, and that hill up ahead is probably a 2 hour mountain crossing or more - on worn out tarmac and surprisingly icy areas - usually the worst corners after a steep downhill braking session.

Don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions I may help to illuminate.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Road trip through Norway in winter would definitely be an experience. I did the reverse trip in summer a couple of years back, but with my BMW touring. Quickly driving up through the forests in Sweden & Finland, then down again through Norway by way of Nordkapp & Lofoten.

I’m halfway planning a Taycan trip from where I live, Bergen, and up to Lofoten Islands sticking mostly to the coastline (Helgeland coast). So that would be pretty much the same route you’re contemplating. But not decided on when yet. The virus messes up all plans all the time.

I’m not familiar with the charging situation north of Trondheim, but I’m expecting it to gradually improve as time goes by.

Just a few tips based on my close to 40 years of experience driving in Norway:
- I would definitely recommend proper winter tires if you are planning on traveling during that season! Snow chains, even if they are usable on a Taycan, is not something you can drive with for many miles. And you will have to be able to do that. Another issues is that when the situation where you’d need the chains arises, it’s probably already too late to stop and change. You need a safe place to do that, and the mountains in Norway are not known for their spacious and shielded rest areas.

Just last weekend I was going up to my cabin - and the relatively fair weather conditions in the valleys going up changed totally on the high mountain plains with heavy snow and winds, making it nearly impossible to even see the next marker stick that the plow trucks navigate by - let alone the road. I had to crawl along at 20-30 km/h hoping that I’d spot the said oncoming plow truck in time, trying to see the next marker and at the same time watching out for any possible car coming up behind so that it didn’t hit me if I had to break hard. It was a total whiteout, and it could happen in seconds. Snow is piling up quickly due to the wind, and if you stop, you risk being snowed in and stuck in seconds. You definitely do not have time to put on chains.

- also, for a road trip of any length over here, I usually bring along a spare tire, a jack and tools for a tire change. This has saved me several times, because the road that for miles has been ok suddenly turns into pothole hell, taking out the tire and/or the rim. Traveling around the Oslo area is unfortunately no indication on the general condition of the roads over here (that’s where all the tax money go on road building & maintenance due to the population count, the rest of the country is years behind). On my previous Norwegian Grand Tour I had a rim thrown out of shape by a pothole close to Hammerfest, and as luck would have it those things always happen on a Friday evening or later in the weekend, when there’s no garages or tire suppliers open in the next 100 miles - not joking. So unless you‘ve planned for this, you may be lucky to get a tow truck come by within the next 6 hours - and he’ll only take you as far as the “nearest” garage - which is closed until Monday - unless it’s a holiday in which it’s open next week - maybe. And please, do not think that the “tire repair kit” that Porsche has thrown in the trunk/frunk will be worth a penny. The roads over here will most likely have torn open half the inside tire wall by the time you manage to pull over. Again, spoken out of actual experience - was stuck for most of a Saturday in Seljord (Norway’s Loch Ness - they claim to have a lake monster too) on a road trip with the BMW convertible because I stupidly did not bring that extra tire (cramped car that 3-series cab, and the wife needed her extra change of clothes in the trunk).

This is not to dissuade you from taking the trip! It is definitely worth it and will be quite an experience. Just plan for it properly, remembering that Norway is nothing like Ireland (been there several times - love it!) - except for the rain maybe. There’s not always another farm around the next corner, and that hill up ahead is probably a 2 hour mountain crossing or more - on worn out tarmac and surprisingly icy areas - usually the worst corners after a steep downhill braking session.

Don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions I may help to illuminate.
Sounds similar to driving in the Sierra Nevada during the winter- I think the only thing I would add to anyone driving in the mountains- DO NOT RELY ON WAZE, GOOGLE MAPS, APPLE MAPS etc - I can't count how many times I have read about stuck cars on mountain roads where people have been directed to by these apps- so many times this has happened that there are signs on many of these roads that state to not listen to the apps at the beginning of these roads (and still people drive by these signs and get stuck)...

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Sounds similar to driving in the Sierra Nevada during the winter- I think the only thing I would add to anyone driving in the mountains- DO NOT RELY ON WAZE, GOOGLE MAPS, APPLE MAPS etc - I can't count how many times I have read about stuck cars on mountain roads where people have been directed to by these apps- so many times this has happened that there are signs on many of these roads that state to not listen to the apps at the beginning of these roads (and still people drive by these signs and get stuck)...
I can definitely second that. I've seen people managing to plow their way until they're stuck half a click down a skiing slope because the app told them there's a road there somewhere...which it is... in summer!

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
I can definitely second that. I've seen people managing to plow their way until they're stuck half a click down a skiing slope because the app told them there's a road there somewhere...which it is... in summer!
Porsche Taycan Norway road-trip 1615175428031
Sponsored