Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies?

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Ginetta G40r, VW T6
Country flag
Decided to take the car on a 270 mile work trip, set the mobile connect to charge car to 100% 48hrs I started it, before I left but as usual it stopped at 87% and had a error which stopped it early.

Anyway.... as car was prewarmed and straight off the charger I should get a better battery life from a 4s Performance?

I live near motorway so straight onto motor way and cruise control in range mode at 65/75mph traffic depending.

I thought I’d use the chargers in sat Nav to ensure the prewarming of battery was complete and when it asked me to stop.

1st Leg
87% start battery - 100 miles - 13% end.
Charged to 88% - £69!!!!!! Cost from Ionity in 40 mins (350Kw Ionity charger but only charged @5.1mi/min). This is the fastest, newest and most technically advance charger in the UK (according to the write up) but car could only pull in 40min or 100kwh. But, there is only 4 of these from in top 2/3 of country from Peterborough to Scotland most are just 50kW.

2nd Leg
88% start - 112 Miles - 33% end
Charged to 67% - £10.35 in 51 mins
(50kW Ecotricity but only charged @1.7mi/min)
Charging stopped early, spoke to helpline who said it was car that stopped the charge. ‘Supervisor stoppage’ ?

67% start - 51 miles - 36% end
Charged to 91% - £15 in 1hr 20 mins
(50KW Polar charger). Charged in about 1hr20mins and said it paused for some reason at end of charge? Even though direct charging is enabled. No timer is set, and the normal general charge profile with min 85% active but direct charging ticked.

So I ended up with similar charge to when I left but it cost me £94.00 for a 270mile journey (34p a mile). And 2hrs50mins of charging (plus faffing 3hrs20mins) onto - long 3hr50min journey.

So in 8hrs I travelled just over 270miles, spent £94 and I could then do my onward journey.

1st leg 65% battery for 100miles
2nd leg 55% battery for 122miles
3rd leg 31% battery for 51miles

Anyone else do some real world calculations? What’s your thoughts?

Im impressed with car but not with the cars electronics or battery. Am Expecting too much for £111k
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Whilst this does not answer your original question some things I noted:

1. Ionity charging should not have been that expensive. Its supposed to be 0.35p per KwH but you need to have registered with Porsche on your Porsche Account (which is free of charge). I can only assume that price is for a non-registered access which costs double. By the way for MY21 cars, once registered you should be able to drive up to an Ionity charger and just plug in - the car does all the handshaking and payment through your Porsche account. I am not sure if that's enabled as yet though.

2. The cars range improves over time/mileage and usage but weather (cold) plays a part, even though you pre-warmed the car. Currently in the UK (South) 85% charge is providing me approx 210 miles range. Again, age, usage style and conditions all play a role and this is in normal driving mode on 21 inch wheels.

3. The charging stop issues I have not experienced apart from a couple of failures at home. Apart from that its worked flawlessly but I either use profile or timers, not both. That's not to say you cannot do that, its just that I have not. I think this is more a case of looking at the settings to see what's causing the car not to charge to 100%.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
That sounds a right faff and not at all enjoyable. I can't comment on the charging stopping issues either as never experienced it, although it has been a steep learning curve at public charge stations for me.

Last week I went on a near 350 mile round trip, for a funeral (in case I'm covid judged), and I'd agreed we could go in the Taycan, naively because this was before I'd done any real mileage in the cold weather. So I merrily thought a full charge would get me 270 miles, I found a 150kw charger on the route, so by my calculations this would involve a 20 minute or so topup whilst we had a coffee and that would be all!

Temperature was much colder last week, must've been around 2C. Right from the start I was worried, 100% charge gave me 230 miles not 270 (battery warm fresh off the charger). Ok no problem that's just a few more mins at 150kw right.

The car was full but I was driving carefully so as not to scare Mum, journey was mostly on the motorway so very easy on the car. The range was dropping before my eyes, I would notice the range had dropped 10 miles but thinking, I've done nowhere near 10 miles. So I spent the whole way down there with range anxiety.

Had 10 mins to spare when we were in the area so did a quick topup on the 150kw, as far as I remember the charge speed was 3.1miles/minute. Much quicker than I'm used to but still slower than the 5-6 I think it should be.

For the return journey I decided we needed 85% charge or thereabouts to get home without any worries, because the range clearly hadn't been equal to 230 miles on a full charge. That took around 1 hour to get to, I had around 15 miles range at the start so the car had been going mad at me, again in theory a full charge should be around 40 mins at 150kw.

Total cost including recharge at home back to 100% was £46 (BP Pulse was 42p/KwH), which is around 13p/mile.

So double the cost of what I'd previously thought the car would take to run, but my calculations only used my home electricity rate, which is 1/3 of what I paid BP.

The same journey in my other cars would've cost £20 more. If not for covid the stoppage could've been more enjoyable, instead we were sat inside the car with coffees steaming up all the windows for an hour. Then I had to sponge the windscreen down before we left. Overall it wasn't too bad, it was nice to be in such a nice car all day, but it wasn't ideal.

I'll be more selective in future about taking journeys over 200 miles in the Taycan, it's not that I will never do it again, but there will need to be a good reason for it when I can take a petrol car with a 400 mile range that takes 5 minutes to fill up, albeit more expensively.

Cabsav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Decided to take the car on a 270 mile work trip, set the mobile connect to charge car to 100% 48hrs I started it, before I left but as usual it stopped at 87% and had a error which stopped it early.

Anyway.... as car was prewarmed and straight off the charger I should get a better battery life from a 4s Performance?

I live near motorway so straight onto motor way and cruise control in range mode at 65/75mph traffic depending.

I thought I’d use the chargers in sat Nav to ensure the prewarming of battery was complete and when it asked me to stop.

1st Leg
Charged to 88% - £69!!!!!! Cost from Ionity in 40 mins (350Kw Ionity charger but only charged @5.1mi/min). This is the fastest, newest and most technically advance charger in the UK (according to the write up) but car could only pull in 40min or 100kwh. But, there is only 4 of these from in top 2/3 of country from Peterborough to Scotland most are just 50kW.

2nd Leg
Charging stopped early, spoke to helpline who said it was car that stopped the charge. ‘Supervisor stoppage’ ?

(50KW Polar charger). Charged in about 1hr20mins and said it paused for some reason at end of charge? Even though direct charging is enabled. No timer is set, and the normal general charge profile with min 85% active but direct charging ticked.

So I ended up with similar charge to when I left but it cost me £94.00 for a 270mile journey (34p a mile). And 2hrs50mins of charging (plus faffing 3hrs20mins) onto - long 3hr50min journey.

So in 8hrs I travelled just over 270miles, spent £94 and I could then do my onward journey.

Im impressed with car but not with the cars electronics or battery. Am Expecting too much for £111k
I am on my second Taycan Turbo, the first on was thrown back at Porsche for a full refund because of the numerous faults that this forum has discussed at length. The range seriously improves as your overall mileage increases, bit like running in a conventional car. I did a 200 mile round trip last week and got home with 12% remaining in the battery and it was very cold, barely above 2c. One useful tip that is helpful in cold weather is to switch off the climate control and use the seat heater and heated steering wheel, it will give you another 20-25 miles. I have yet to find an Ionity or any other 350kw charger that does what it says on the tin. I used the new chargers at Gridserve at Braintree the other day, nothing special nor anything like as efficient as the Tesla Superchargers which always work like a dream. If your car is cutting out on the charging something is not right and it should go back to the dealer. These Taycans are very much a work in progress, lovely to drive and good build quality as you would expect in a Porsche, but the technology is very backward unfortunately!

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
DC charging on a 50KW (or any other) charger ignores profiles and direct charging. These profiles only affect AC charging, eg at home.
although must admit, it should charge to nearer 100% even though the last few % are pulled at a much slower rate.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
DC charging on a 50KW (or any other) charger ignores profiles and direct charging. These profiles only affect AC charging, eg at home.
although must admit, it should charge to nearer 100% even though the last few % are pulled at a much slower rate.
I didn't know that - learnt something new - thanks

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

1st Leg

2nd Leg

This sounds so wrong for a number of things. I really feel your pain and it is terrible if your Porsche dealer has not informed you on how to charge and apply for your Porsche charging account and card. I would write a letter of complaint to Porsche GB and make sure the dealers get the appropriate training. I have also seen you have a lot of SW problems with the car and it is not enjoyable.

Let me try to help you a bit.

1. The car may have been preheated in the cabin when you left, but unless you had set a timer to preheat when leaving, it seems the battery will not be preheated. Even if the car is plugged in. In your post you do not mention the battery temperature for the first leg, but from the consumption it would seem it was cold.

It would also be good to see your trip consumption in kWh/mile from your cars display between the charging sessions.

2. Your Ionity charging seems very wrong. You mention you got 100 kWh and the price you paid seems to indicate the same. If you have registered with Porsche Charging service the cost should have been 0.30 GBP per kWh. And you will not have charged 100 kWh in 40 minutes,as your car only charged between 13% and 88%. That would indicate about 65 kWh perhaps. If your battery had been preheated with the help of the navigator to that charger, you should be in an ideal condition to experience a fast charging session of 20 minutes or so. That is assuming you were not sharing a charger with somebody else and Ionity worked as it should. The charging profile for the Taycan on a Fastned Charger 350 kW is enclosed. You can see that the charging throttles to 150 kw quite soon and it is very slow after 80%.
Porsche Taycan Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies? 4F468878-E84D-4D6B-8B71-477B893A036F

Enclose are also the official Porsche Charging service cost as per January
Porsche Taycan Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies? B3CDC85E-2AE5-424F-B39B-DC8C28A98E1E

For the Ecotricity experience I can only advise you AVOID that network! I have experienced it in the U.K. myself and many in the U.K. have same experience. It is a disgrace.

And as others have said, once you use DC charging it will charge to 100% if connected. No timer or other limits are active in such a charging session. They only work for AC charging ( max 22 kW in 2021 or 11 kW in 2020 Taycan)

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag

1st Leg

2nd Leg

1. What is the mileage of your car?
2. Did you select a heat pump?
3. Did you select heat resistant windows?
4. What is the size of the wheels?

OP
OP
KrisMc

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Ginetta G40r, VW T6
Country flag
Yes I have registered and waved the card but it didn’t work, also tried to scan on machine, checked app etc.

How do I start the charge? Via App which doesn’t seem to work.

ps will be back at same charger in 46 mins on return Journey, again it’s set in planner, with a 22% arrival. How ever today my cars sat Nav is intermittent and phone charger doesn’t work, also my phone won’t connect to car.

Porsche Taycan Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies? C5A3C28D-B993-4495-906B-FC9F549B75F4

Porsche Taycan Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies? B76D3F47-38E9-45AD-B0A8-39A1D8F1A10A

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes I have registered and waved the card but it didn’t work, also tried to scan on machine, checked app etc.

How do I start the charge? Via App which doesn’t seem to work.

ps will be back at same charger in 46 mins on return Journey, again it’s set in planner, with a 22% arrival. How ever today my cars sat Nav is intermittent and phone charger doesn’t work, also my phone won’t connect to car.

C5A3C28D-B993-4495-906B-FC9F549B75F4.png

B76D3F47-38E9-45AD-B0A8-39A1D8F1A10A.png
if you click the green symbol on the screen of Porsche Connect, it will bring up a scanner if you allow the app to access the camera. Scan the code on the Ionity charger with that.

This has worked fine for me.

550superfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm reading this with interest. I am only using my car for short journeys at present, but do plan trips to Devon (250 miles) and over to Germany when restrictions lift and it is safe to travel.
How do you ask your battery to preheat before charging? Or do you need an optional extra on the car to do that? Thanks.
I hope the road ahead gets smoother for you.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
On EVs the range seems to much worse than you are used to with ICEs, probably because you compare the fuel gauge with the SoC/Battery gauge. It's no surprise that in really bad conditions you will experience that the range is cut by half, but with ICE it seems better. I'll try to explain why by the drawing below, where I use bold figures.

Porsche Taycan Not impressed real world test. Battery issues or just marketing lies? 1610475913699

If you have two identical cars, beside the drive trains (EV and ICE), you will need the same amount of energy to move the car in equal environment and conditions. To create this energy the EV use its electric drive train and the ICE use the combustion drive train. To be kind, approximately 90% of the stored energy used in the battery are used to move the car, where as 10% is waste under ideal conditions. For ICE this 40% use and 60% waste.

In worst case, in bad conditions, you need to double the energy to move the car the same distance. Since EVs are such more effective than ICEs, it must almost use the double of the stored energy in the battery, than under ideal conditions. For ICEs it's not so noticeable, since it may have to use approximately 20% more petrol.

The ICE have the advantage of better use of waste to heat the cabin, where as EVs are more depended on use stored energy in the battery. Taycan have the heat pump option that will help in that manner, however it's not so powerful since its less waste (energy) to reuse.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Lots of interesting points here. Winter and the cold is mostly to blame. The same trip in the summer would work out much better. It frustrates me so much about the lack of info supplied from dealers though, it’s no longer a new product and dealers should be helping customers and arming them with all the info they need to get the best from the car and this is clearly still not happening!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Lots of interesting points here. Winter and the cold is mostly to blame. The same trip in the summer would work out much better. It frustrates me so much about the lack of info supplied from dealers though, it’s no longer a new product and dealers should be helping customers and arming them with all the info they need to get the best from the car and this is clearly still not happening!
Agree with all suggestions made so far. Couple things not mentioned yet:

1. Rain? Snow? These have huge impact on range
2. Headwind? When I travel long distance I check the local windmap. Windy.com is pretty good
3. Tire inflation pressure? I use 42 PSI (290 kPa), gives me significantly better range than recommended pressure without a noticeable change in ride
4. New tires? Rollout resistance improves after 500-1000 miles
5. Did you use range mode? This switches to front wheel drive only and reduces consumption - similar to Tesla implementation in Model S / X

Also the difference between leg 1 and 2 on your trip (assuming an 87 kWh battery you used 64 kWh/100 mi on leg 1 but only 43 kWh/100 mi on leg 2) would suggest that you either started with a cold battery or something is substantially different on the 2 legs (speed, altitude change, weather, driving style, etc).

At the temperature you are mentioning (2-4 C) I am getting 220-250 miles of range (36-40 kWh/100mi).

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
First off, you were not charged £67. That is the pre-auth card fee for Ionity. It will change to the actual amount eventually. However, you are going to get charged 69p per kwh for the privilege because you didn't use your Taycan Charge card. Expensive mistake. If the card does not work again, try a different bay.

Secondly, range in this weather is all about battery temperature. Check it. If you did not have your car set to precondition for at least an hour before you set off, your range will plunge. An hour's preconditioning will take the battery temp from 4 deg C up to 11 deg C. Oh, and did you set it to range mode?

Thirdly, Ecotricity is what it is but they are available at most MSAs. A lot of cars don't work with them at all so its quite impressive that it works with the Taycan. When I tried one, I got about 40 kW which is about 4-6 kW slower than any other network. Always check the charger on the Electric Highway app before setting off to check it is not offline.
Sponsored