Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
In case some get concerned, I noticed some beading of watering in what at first appeared to be within the rear light assembly, specifically in the Porsche lamp area.

I took pic after blowing most of it out and so not the best but if you are washing your car and later during drying and/or polishing you notice this as I did this PM, I don't think it is anything of concern.

On closer examination there is a gap here that runs the length of the lamp assembly and an internal ridge or lip that from the outside would make beading water here look like it was within the housing but I believe it is not. A blower can easily move the beads along - just an odd setup and one I had not experienced in previous cars but again, no big deal!

Here she is after first basic clean / spray wax polish before handing off to shop Monday for fender painting and STEK install:

Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4822

Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4824

And here are the remnant water beads - I KNOW it looks lame here but had cleared 90% out with blower by this time :) - but sharing the location at least where you will see this happen:

Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4821

And a side view of where the gap is - look at yours more closely and you can see how the beads line up as though within the plastic enclosure from the outside:

Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4820

We did a quick 80 mile tour of east Houston, taking in the San Jancinto Monument, Battleship Texas and Baytown Nature Reserve before heading back via I-10 and stopping at the EA 350kW chargers in Walmart near Channelview.

My third public charging and all EA and all 100% success with Plug and Charge. As I had a fairly high SoC to start with I did not get above 105kW at the charger i.e. I assume if I was closer to 20% I'd see a faster rate (or of course the charger was limited for some reason).

A few pics of above:

Massively embarrassing but managed to chop the top of the monument - turned out despite literally no one there, the lift was out of action so no trip up the interior.
Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4803

Nearby walk to Battleship Texas - def in need of more maintenance:
Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4809

Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4810

Bald eagle atop a power cable tower in Baytown Nature Reserve - only had phone with me and a long way away (on max. zoom):
Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4815

Pretty much the max. rate I got at the 350kW charger but started at over 60% SoC - PNC worked again, 3 for 3 in Houston:
Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger IMG_4817

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Car looks sleek - but I’m just envious. Don’t think we’ve had such a sky in the UK since 2020 ??‍♂

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car looks sleek - but I’m just envious. Don’t think we’ve had such a sky in the UK since 2020 ??‍♂
Thx! I hear you man - first 30 years were out of Dublin, Liverpool, London so can relate :) Difference is when you get that sun the light is amazing (or again maybe seems so as its such a surprise :)!!

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My third public charging and all EA and all 100% success with Plug and Charge. As I had a fairly high SoC to start with I did not get above 105kW at the charger i.e. I assume if I was closer to 20% I'd see a faster rate (or of course the charger was limited for some reason).

Pretty much the max. rate I got at the 350kW charger but started at over 60% SoC - PNC worked again, 3 for 3 in Houston:
For your plug and charge sessions, did you use any app to get it to work, or did you just drive up and connect to the charger?

Prior to using plug and charge, had you done any non-plug and charge fast charging, or was your first fast charging session plug and charge?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For your plug and charge sessions, did you use any app to get it to work, or did you just drive up and connect to the charger?

Prior to using plug and charge, had you done any non-plug and charge fast charging, or was your first fast charging session plug and charge?
All 3 charging stops were physical plugging in and each time automatically initiated PNC i.e. drove up and connected w/o app involvement - I did browse the app after in each case and could monitor the charging status. So indeed have yet to initiate a charge from the app.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

Not sure what you're getting at, but I'm one person who used to do non-PnC fast charging (because PnC didn't work for me due to a backend server issue), and only recently was able to start doing PnC after a software patch. Since then, I'm also 100% on PnC across maybe 6-8 different stations in California.

To start a PnC session, assuming you have turned it on in the car and have your payment set up if needed (for example if going over the 30 min free charging limit), you just pull up, plug in, and charging starts automatically.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
In case some get concerned, I noticed some beading of watering in what at first appeared to be within the rear light assembly, specifically in the Porsche lamp area.

I took pic after blowing most of it out and so not the best but if you are washing your car and later during drying and/or polishing you notice this as I did this PM, I don't think it is anything of concern.

On closer examination there is a gap here that runs the length of the lamp assembly and an internal ridge or lip that from the outside would make beading water here look like it was within the housing but I believe it is not. A blower can easily move the beads along - just an odd setup and one I had not experienced in previous cars but again, no big deal!

Here she is after first basic clean / spray wax polish before handing off to shop Monday for fender painting and STEK install:

IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

And here are the remnant water beads - I KNOW it looks lame here but had cleared 90% out with blower by this time :) - but sharing the location at least where you will see this happen:

IMG_4821.jpeg

And a side view of where the gap is - look at yours more closely and you can see how the beads line up as though within the plastic enclosure from the outside:

IMG_4820.jpeg

We did a quick 80 mile tour of east Houston, taking in the San Jancinto Monument, Battleship Texas and Baytown Nature Reserve before heading back via I-10 and stopping at the EA 350kW chargers in Walmart near Channelview.

A few pics of above:

Massively embarrassing but managed to chop the top of the monument - turned out despite literally no one there, the lift was out of action so no trip up the interior.
IMG_4803.jpeg

Nearby walk to Battleship Texas - def in need of more maintenance:
IMG_4809.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg

Bald eagle atop a power cable tower in Baytown Nature Reserve - only had phone with me and a long way away (on max. zoom):
IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg
I just finished my first road trip of r/t 1400 miles. Had no issues with PNC, but the max charging rate you were getting was about the same as mine. The most I got at 350kW charger was 150kw.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Thursday in Oxfordshire ;)
DSC00233.jpg
Beautiful! I still feel cold looking at it! I probably still hold a grudge after the terrible summer 21’ we’ve had weather wise…

Same day at 8am in Wiltshire ?
Porsche Taycan Note on First Wash - CT after a side trip to 1st 350kW charger 0E4A7393-E6A2-49B3-AC66-CF2C25A8D81D
Sponsored