OBDII Dongles - list your brand

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi

So, as I suspected, my 12 year old no name OBDII dongle can't connect to the Taycan's ECU. The phone app connects to the dongle, car pops up the high voltage is in use warning but then the dongle fails to negotiate communication with the ECU.

I guess it's time for a new dongle. I do want one because a) I'm curious and b) my old dongle paid itself off thousands of times over the years (it cost 8 bucks back then so not hard to achieve that).

For those people who have a working dongle for their taycan, can you please list make/model or post a link from where you got it (if it's no name).
I don't really care if it's branded or not. I want something that works well and isn't a huge brick.

Thank you 😁
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi

So, as I suspected, my 12 year old no name OBDII dongle can't connect to the Taycan's ECU. The phone app connects to the dongle, car pops up the high voltage is in use warning but then the dongle fails to negotiate communication with the ECU.

I guess it's time for a new dongle. I do want one because a) I'm curious and b) my old dongle paid itself off thousands of times over the years (it cost 8 bucks back then so not hard to achieve that).

For those people who have a working dongle for their taycan, can you please list make/model or post a link from where you got it (if it's no name).
I don't really care if it's branded or not. I want something that works well and isn't a huge brick.

Thank you 😁
I’m slightly interested too.
I bought one from Amazon UK which apparently fulfilled the criteria and makes an ELM connection but not to the ECU.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I've had a number of tools on previous cars (VCDS, OBDeleven, Bimmerlink) but none are compatible with Porsche and there are no comparable "enthusiast" tools available at similar price-points.

I know that VCDS can be made to work to some extent by changing a couple of the wires to different pins on the OBDplug, but I haven't investigated it.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had a number of tools on previous cars (VCDS, OBDeleven, Bimmerlink) but none are compatible with Porsche and there are no comparable "enthusiast" tools available at similar price-points.

I know that VCDS can be made to work to some extent by changing a couple of the wires to different pins on the OBDplug, but I haven't investigated it.
I too have used advanced tools like ESys and ISTA for BMWs... but cannot find anything similar for Porsche Taycan?
Are you aware of the tools that dealership use? What are these called?
I'm sure there is someone somewhere bootlegging these tools... can you get a name of the tool that allows configuration of the Taycan features?

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too have used advanced tools like ESys and ISTA for BMWs... but cannot find anything similar for Porsche Taycan?
Are you aware of the tools that dealership use? What are these called?
I'm sure there is someone somewhere bootlegging these tools... can you get a name of the tool that allows configuration of the Taycan features?
It's called PIWIS and it's exorbitantly expensive. I'm told by a professional VAG retrofitter that there's no equivalent bootleg available due to the need for it to connect to Porsche's servers.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Guys guys

I don't want something like Star diagnostics (Mercedes Benz) or PIWIS (Porsche Equivalent). Just want to hook it up and read data with the car scanner like the other guys are doing to assess battery health etc.

A < $100 dongle should do that easily. Just don't want to buy 5 different OBDII dongles to find out none of them is able to communicate with the car.

There's plenty of people on the SOH thread that are reading their cars and I doubt they all have PIWIS 😉

Edit: I could have posted on the other thread but a) didn't want to pollute it with OBDII hardware and b) once one has a compatible dongle, they aren't limited to the car scanner app only. I found other interesting data reading software for the Taycan too (search Taycanizer v1.0 for example)

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
This one works great for me. OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBD2 Adapter for BMW/Mini, Works with iPhone/iOS & Android, Car Coding, OBD II Diagnostic Scanner https://a.co/d/9l9Xs5a

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This one works great for me. OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBD2 Adapter for BMW/Mini, Works with iPhone/iOS & Android, Car Coding, OBD II Diagnostic Scanner https://a.co/d/9l9Xs5a
Great!

Trying to find it in the EU right now. Unfortunately it's 172€ in Spanish amazon. Trying to find alternatives.

Keep it coming 🙏😁

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's called PIWIS and it's exorbitantly expensive. I'm told by a professional VAG retrofitter that there's no equivalent bootleg available due to the need for it to connect to Porsche's servers.
I think someone somewhere would have managed the server disconnection (or rerouting the traffic). Is there somewhere you are aware of getting hold of the PIWIS - I can have a go at disrupting the communication back to the P.servers...
The first step is to get an install copy of the software.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bat signal to @rs38.

Like others who have commented, I have the verbosely named 'OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBD2 Adapter'.
€96.50 shipped from France. I want to press the order button.

Any other alternatives before I tap that?

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think someone somewhere would have managed the server disconnection (or rerouting the traffic). Is there somewhere you are aware of getting hold of the PIWIS - I can have a go at disrupting the communication back to the P.servers...
The first step is to get an install copy of the software.
https://www.piwis3.com/