Advertisement

Observed Behavior: North American 2020 Taycan has max 11 kW L2 charger (48 amps) not max 9.6 kW (40 amps)

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dave at TeslaTap is/was GREAT!!!! He is working with me to exchange my 40-Amp TeslaTap for an 80-Amp version. Very knowledgeable guy offering GREAT customer service!!!

Toby

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S (Frozen Sched Oct)
Country flag
I wanted to ask if anyone who has the latest software update can test a TeslaTap or other 40A Tesla to J-1772 Adapter on a 50A or better Destination Charger or the Taycan?
To see if it tries to pull 11.2kW like @daveo4EV saw a few weeks ago or if it now may be limited to 9.6kW.

I am concerned as I own the Lectron 40 amp adapter that I bought in March in preparation for the car that will not arrive till October. If it does try to draw 48 amps then that would not be very Kosher for my 40 amp adapter.

Alternatively I would love it if one could adjust the amount of current the vehicle requests like is possible on the Tesla. But frankly I am not expecting such user interface improvements from Porsche any time soon. Thanks @BayAreaKen for motivating me to make this inquiry as it would also be useful for future Taycan owners wanting to get this adapter and wanting to know what power level they should/need to get.

OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster, Bolt, Taycan
Country flag
@ron_b - if your EVSE is only 40 amps- the Taycan will only draw 40 amps - the EVSE reports to the car what it’s maximum current draw is - and the car adjusts to “match” the EVSE

there will be _NO_ problem with your car

the reason my Taycan is drawing 48 amps is I plugged it into an EVSE that reported it could do a max current of 72 amps (90 amp breaker) - so the Taycan said “great” give me 48 amps (my maximum charge rate).

when plugged into an EVSE the lowest number “wins” for the agreed upon charge rate.

if the EVSE reports 16 amps -the Taycan will charge at 16 amps
if the EVSE reports 40 amps - the Taycan will charge at 40 amps
if the EVSE reports 80 amps - the Taycan will charge at 48 amps

as long as your EVSE is a normal/compatible J-1772 EV charger the Taycan will work just fine.

OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster, Bolt, Taycan
Country flag
@ron_b are you wondering if Porsche has “nerfed” the maximum charge rate in the latest software update? and set it to the correct maximum 40 amps?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S (Frozen Sched Oct)
Country flag
@daveo4EV, I do not and have not owned a Tesla; therefore I have no Tesla EVSE. I am quite aware that if the evse is only able to produce 40 amps or 32 amps or 24 amps that the car will only consume that amount of power and that there will be no problem.

The reason I purchased the adapter from Tesla to J-1772 was to use at random locations as I think is the common use of such an adapter. of course one does not know in advance the maximum power output of these random locations and I see from looking at the Tesla Destination Charger website that several are 16kW or better. It's attempting to use the 40A Lectron adapter at such a site is the focus of my question.

And yes Dave, I was wondering if Porsche has “nerfed” the maximum charge rate in the latest software update and set it to the the documented maximum 40 amps?

Advertisement