Observed Behavior: North American 2020 Taycan has max 11 kW L2 charger (48 amps) not max 9.6 kW (40 amps)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
however based on the wire thickness and weight of the car's cable - the wire that goes from the PMCC to the J-1772 connector - I wouldn't trust that beyond 40/48 amps for the J-1772 North American connector - it already gets pretty warm just pumping 40 amps - so while the wire in the car has me un-concerned - the wire from the PMCC to the Vehicle connector does appear/look/feel to be about appropriate for only 40 amp usage - that means if you want to try and charge your Taycan at 48 amps I'd do with a EVSE that has an appropriately sized 48 amp J-1772 cable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the back of my PMCC unit clear lists 9.6 kW has it's electrical specification - so maybe there are different PMCC's for ROW?

Porsche Taycan Observed Behavior: North American 2020 Taycan has max 11 kW L2 charger (48 amps) not max 9.6 kW (40 amps) IMG_1937 no SN

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV I agree with your logic, if the car supports 11 kilowatts in other single phase environments then I completely agree that the wiring in the car is going to be rated accordingly for all countries with all likelihood.
Thanks for investigating that and let us know if you find a way to order the hardwired EVSE supply cable. That would be an excellent test.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well we could all start by getting me a part # for the "bare wire" supply cable?

anyone?
anyone?

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I was reading through the Porsche Mobile Charge Connect Manual - and it has setup instructions for various regions that have no plug (hardwired only) - in the regions that have hardwired setup only they have instructions for wiring both single phase and three phase setups - interestingly enough these setups are 11 kW charge rate with software override in the PMCC setup screens…

so I'm also guessing that your PMCC is potentially an 11 kW EVSE if you could get the connector that is the bare hardwire connector in North America.
Hi daveo,

It might be that there are hard wire options available, but still the american version is only a 9.6kW hardware version. Have a look at the back label. It should be clearly noted there. 11kW or even 22kW variants only exist here in Europe. And this only because of 3phase wiring capability.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
charged from 31% to 100% last night - used the 80 amp JDapter - 10.86 kW the entire time - worked great - figured it cut at least an hour off the charge time!!

80 amp JDApter did not get too warm - car has a very quiet fan exhaust - constant stream of warm air softly blowing near the gap between the driver's wheel/tire and front door…

car seems to charge at 48 amp just fine from a Gen2 Tesla Wall connector via an 80 amp JDAapter.

when I did a brief test with the 40 amp JDapter the connector was getting warm after 15 minutes so I can't recommend the 40 amp JDApter with L2 chargers that are over 40 amps.

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
charged from 31% to 100% last night - used the 80 amp JDapter - 10.86 kW the entire time - worked great - figured it cut at least an hour off the charge time!!

80 amp JDApter did not get too warm - car has a very quiet fan exhaust - constant stream of warm air softly blowing near the gap between the driver's wheel/tire and front door…

car seems to charge at 48 amp just fine from a Gen2 Tesla Wall connector via an 80 amp JDAapter.

when I did a brief test with the 40 amp JDapter the connector was getting warm after 15 minutes so I can't recommend the 40 amp JDApter with L2 chargers that are over 40 amps.
Dave, very happy you ran these tests.

But doesn't the JDapter negotiate to the minimum of the EVSE and the JDapter? I.e. I would expect the 40A JDapter to report that only 40A should be drawn.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to my knowledge the JDapter is a “passive” adapter - there is _NO_ active electronics in it - a 40 amp JDapter does not change the reported amps to the vehicle - I’ve tested with my Teslas

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
to my knowledge the JDapter is a “passive” adapter - there is _NO_ active electronics in it - a 40 amp JDapter does not change the reported amps to the vehicle - I’ve tested with my Teslas
I would not think it's possible to be passive as the Tesla negotiating protocol I can't imagine matches the J-1772 protocol so if it does protocol conversation I assumed it would help protect itself from becoming a source of a fire. I may be wrong, didn't disassemble one. The J1772 standard is at least published. I believe Tesla required reverse engineering.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla however I believe actually runs the J-1772 protocol over their connector - so it's less proprietary than one would imagine - their L2 chargers aren't really all that special - but again I don't have any facts - in any case I know the Tesla J-1772 adapter to the car (the one that comes with every Tesla) is a passive connector.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla however I believe actually runs the J-1772 protocol over their connector - so it's less proprietary than one would imagine - their L2 chargers aren't really all that special - but again I don't have any facts - in any case I know the Tesla J-1772 adapter to the car (the one that comes with every Tesla) is a passive connector.
Yes I knew that that the J-1772 to Tesla adapter was passive but I thought the car just had special code to deal with speaking J-1772 when that adapter is used. I guess it would be reasonable to assume Tesla would use that protocol.

Thanks for the info. So that can be a little frightening using these adapters with a car that can take more power than the adapter is rated for connected to an evse that has more power available than the adapter is rated for. I never thought that would be a concern. Is there any way to throttle the power within the Taycan to draw less as you can with a Tesla?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info. So that can be a little frightening using these adapters with a car that can take more power than the adapter is rated for connected to an evse that has more power available than the adapter is rated for. I never thought that would be a concern. Is there any way to throttle the power within the Taycan to draw less as you can with a Tesla?
I agree with you - it can be a bit frightening - seems to me based on what we’ve learned here you should purchase the 80 amp version for a Taycan because you can never be too sure what AMP’s a Tesla L2 charger will be…and given that hte Model 3 LR/Performance are 48 amp vehicles a lot of sites with Tesla chargers install 48 amp Tesla chargers…in fact the new Gen3 wall connector is 48 amp maximum - it’s getting harder and harder to find a > 48 amp L2 charger…

so far I’ve not found an “in car” method to control the charging amps - which I consider a shame - I’ve always like the in car control Tesla provides and I’ve missed it on my other EV’s - there are chargers in the world where reliablity can be greatly improved simply by dialing down the amp draw 2-4 amps - a lot of NEMA 14-50 plugs you’ll encounter in the wild are pretty shoddy installs and don’t always hold up to a full 2 or more hour run at a full 40 amps - being able to dial the car down to like 36 amps I’ve found greatly improves the charging reliabliity of these types of sites…

Porsche offers control with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that comes with the Taycan, but that control is only there if you are using Porsche’s L2 charger - it would be better in my opinion in the car - although if we leave the UI design to the Germans I”m sure the interaction model will be un-necessarily complex and they will bury AMP control in some sort of profile setting called “current mitigation for non-standard timers”

the Key lessons of this thread are:
  1. So far it looks like North American Taycan can benefit from 48/60 amp J-1772 chargers - 9.6 kW is _NOT_ the actual limit - YCRMV
  2. Given that the car can charge at 48 amp - you should purchase the 80 amp JDApter to avoid over taxing the 40 amp JDApter if you encounter a higher AMP Tesla L2 charger
  3. Porsche would do well to include AMP controls in the “in car” charging software rather than simply relying on the external charger’s UI.
  4. None of this matters if are using 40 amp limited chargers and 9.6 kW is hte maximum rate of charge.
  5. the difference in a full charge at 40 vs. 48 amps is about 2-3 hours faster full charge on the Taycan.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV I would probably consider the higher amperage TeslaTap had I not already purchased the 40 amp Lectron unit from Amazon a few more months ago.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ron_b