Observed Behavior: North American 2020 Taycan has max 11 kW L2 charger (48 amps) not max 9.6 kW (40 amps)

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dave at TeslaTap is/was GREAT!!!! He is working with me to exchange my 40-Amp TeslaTap for an 80-Amp version. Very knowledgeable guy offering GREAT customer service!!!

Toby
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wanted to ask if anyone who has the latest software update can test a TeslaTap or other 40A Tesla to J-1772 Adapter on a 50A or better Destination Charger or the Taycan?
To see if it tries to pull 11.2kW like @daveo4EV saw a few weeks ago or if it now may be limited to 9.6kW.

I am concerned as I own the Lectron 40 amp adapter that I bought in March in preparation for the car that will not arrive till October. If it does try to draw 48 amps then that would not be very Kosher for my 40 amp adapter.

Alternatively I would love it if one could adjust the amount of current the vehicle requests like is possible on the Tesla. But frankly I am not expecting such user interface improvements from Porsche any time soon. Thanks @BayAreaKen for motivating me to make this inquiry as it would also be useful for future Taycan owners wanting to get this adapter and wanting to know what power level they should/need to get.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@ron_b - if your EVSE is only 40 amps- the Taycan will only draw 40 amps - the EVSE reports to the car what it’s maximum current draw is - and the car adjusts to “match” the EVSE

there will be _NO_ problem with your car

the reason my Taycan is drawing 48 amps is I plugged it into an EVSE that reported it could do a max current of 72 amps (90 amp breaker) - so the Taycan said “great” give me 48 amps (my maximum charge rate).

when plugged into an EVSE the lowest number “wins” for the agreed upon charge rate.

if the EVSE reports 16 amps -the Taycan will charge at 16 amps
if the EVSE reports 40 amps - the Taycan will charge at 40 amps
if the EVSE reports 80 amps - the Taycan will charge at 48 amps

as long as your EVSE is a normal/compatible J-1772 EV charger the Taycan will work just fine.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ron_b are you wondering if Porsche has “nerfed” the maximum charge rate in the latest software update? and set it to the correct maximum 40 amps?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV, I do not and have not owned a Tesla; therefore I have no Tesla EVSE. I am quite aware that if the evse is only able to produce 40 amps or 32 amps or 24 amps that the car will only consume that amount of power and that there will be no problem.

The reason I purchased the adapter from Tesla to J-1772 was to use at random locations as I think is the common use of such an adapter. of course one does not know in advance the maximum power output of these random locations and I see from looking at the Tesla Destination Charger website that several are 16kW or better. It's attempting to use the 40A Lectron adapter at such a site is the focus of my question.

And yes Dave, I was wondering if Porsche has “nerfed” the maximum charge rate in the latest software update and set it to the the documented maximum 40 amps?

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Add me to the list of verifiers. Just installed a ClipperCreek HCS-60 and my car is happily charging at 10.56kW. AND Bonus Points - NO HEAT issues anywhere. Breaker fine, conduit fine, power whip fine, charger cable to car fine. ALL components remain at ambient temps after 45 minutes of charging.

THANK YOU @daveo4EV !!!!!!!

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Add me to the list of verifiers. Just installed a ClipperCreek HCS-60 and my car is happily charging at 10.56kW. AND Bonus Points - NO HEAT issues anywhere. Breaker fine, conduit fine, power whip fine, charger cable to car fine. ALL components remain at ambient temps after 45 minutes of charging.

THANK YOU @daveo4EV !!!!!!!
Would love to see your set-up.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
clipper creek is hard to beat.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would love to see your set-up.
Porsche Taycan Observed Behavior: North American 2020 Taycan has max 11 kW L2 charger (48 amps) not max 9.6 kW (40 amps) 883566D4-4813-46A8-A5F9-D2F44EAD4051

It is VERY straightforward. One 3-wire power whip. Wire nut on the common. Done! Swapped the 50-amp breaker for a 60-amp breaker. Already had 6AWG in the conduit. Total 30 minutes to swap from 14-50/50 amp breaker to 60-amp setup.

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
883566D4-4813-46A8-A5F9-D2F44EAD4051.jpeg

It is VERY straightforward. One 3-wire power whip. Wire nut on the common. Done! Swapped the 50-amp breaker for a 60-amp breaker. Already had 6AWG in the conduit. Total 30 minutes to swap from 14-50/50 amp breaker to 60-amp setup.
Can you set any charging parameters with the Clipper Creek or are the charging profiles within the vehicle and the Clipper creek follows them?

Porsche recommends not charging beyond 85% for day to day charging. Are you in “Direct Charge” mode every time you plug in and it charges to 100%?

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
charged from 31% to 100% last night - used the 80 amp JDapter - 10.86 kW the entire time - worked great - figured it cut at least an hour off the charge time!!

80 amp JDApter did not get too warm - car has a very quiet fan exhaust - constant stream of warm air softly blowing near the gap between the driver's wheel/tire and front door…

car seems to charge at 48 amp just fine from a Gen2 Tesla Wall connector via an 80 amp JDAapter.

when I did a brief test with the 40 amp JDapter the connector was getting warm after 15 minutes so I can't recommend the 40 amp JDApter with L2 chargers that are over 40 amps.
Hi @daveo4EV - me again. More clarification questions if you don’t mind. I bought the TeslaTap 80a. But I also want to charge at 48 amps at my house. So I believe I need the Tesla Gen 2 charger. But still unclear on circuit and outlet requirement. Right now I have 14-50 with 6/3 wire planned to be installed. But I think I need a bigger circuit (60a) yes? Does that change the 14-50? I can install anything at this point - just want to get it right. Don’t plan on needing to charge multiple EV’s though. Thanks for the guidance.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The picture shows that he is in direct charging mode. The car will therefore ignore profiles and charge to 100%

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi @daveo4EV - me again. More clarification questions if you don’t mind. I bought the TeslaTap 80a. But I also want to charge at 48 amps at my house. So I believe I need the Tesla Gen 2 charger. But still unclear on circuit and outlet requirement. Right now I have 14-50 with 6/3 wire planned to be installed. But I think I need a bigger circuit (60a) yes? Does that change the 14-50? I can install anything at this point - just want to get it right. Don’t plan on needing to charge multiple EV’s though. Thanks for the guidance.
If you want to charge at 48A, you need a 60A circuit, and the charger will need to be hard-wired, as there are no residential outlets that are rated for more than 40A continuous (like a 14-50).

You can get a charger like the Clipper Creek pictured above, or any other charger for a 60A circuit and then have your electrician wire it all up.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Schlossj listen to @Miwa - he is correct.

_ALL_ 60 amp chargers will be hardwired.

_IF_ you want to go with a Tesla charger for 60 amps you will need to purchase a Tesla Gen2 Wall Charger.

there are _NO_ 60 amp “mobile” EV chargers.

I can highly recomend the ClipperCreek HCS60 and you won’t have to deal with the TeslaTap for your daily charging ritual.

please feel free to ask more questions.
Sponsored

Last edited: