ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my rear tires fail on my Taycan 4S after only 13K. My first set (Continental 20" AS) got about 28k and wore reasonably evenly, the replacements. I got this set in April are the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season and at only 13K I had a core and a blowout on the rear trying to nurse back to bay area.
Others seen this kind of excessive wear to the rears? My service department has no comment yet.
Rear & Right Rear

Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Left_Rear_Failed
Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Right_Rear

Front Left & Front Right
Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Left_Front
Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Right_Front

Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Tire_Model

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I had my rear tires fail on my Taycan 4S after only 13K. My first set (Continental 20" AS) got about 28k and wore reasonably evenly, the replacements. I got this set in April are the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season and at only 13K I had a core and a blowout on the rear trying to nurse back to bay area.
Others seen this kind of excessive wear to the rears? My service department has no comment yet.

Left_Rear_Failed.jpg
Right_Rear.jpg

Left_Front.jpg
Right_Front.jpg

Tire_Model.jpg
lots of negative camber, lots of weight, lots of power equals tires that get eaten like pop-corn

I'd have some camber taken out (at the expense of some handling) so at least the tire wears more evenly.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Camber affects where the wear occurs and toe affects how much wear occurs. IMO, your rear camber looks fine. Rear left and front right looks like are wearing way more than rear right and front left.

Out of curiosity, are there a lot of clover leaf ramps where you live and are you taking these cloverleaves in a spirited manner?

Given that the Taycan should be close to 50/50 on weight distribution and given that it's AWD, you should be getting pretty even wear on all 4 tires. More on the front if you tend to take turns spiritly and rears more if you like to feel the acceleration.

My recommendation would be to get the rear toes settings checked. I'd recommend getting the dealer to set the rear toe to zero or at least closer to zero.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Camber affects where the wear occurs and toe affects how much wear occurs. IMO, your rear camber looks fine. Rear left and front right looks like are wearing way more than rear right and front left.

Out of curiosity, are there a lot of clover leaf ramps where you live and are you taking these cloverleaves in a spirited manner?

Given that the Taycan should be close to 50/50 on weight distribution and given that it's AWD, you should be getting pretty even wear on all 4 tires. More on the front if you tend to take turns spiritly and rears more if you like to feel the acceleration.

My recommendation would be to get the rear toes settings checked. I'd recommend getting the dealer to set the rear toe to zero or at least closer to zero.
Thank you Sherman, I agree with your suggestion. I didn’t do much spirited cornering, my other half is non-spirited and usually with me for longer travels which was the majority of the miles.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you drive in normal suspension height or in lowered height?
Majority of driving ~75% is in Range Mode so lowered. Also front wheel drive ad I didn’t have Latest update that makes Range Mode rear wheel drive.

kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I had the same on contis as @proficient_mathematician linked.

I've got 9K on Michelin PS4S and so far not seeing the same wear, which is interesting.
and if I remember correctly, you did NOT opt to do a re-alignment when you switched to the Michelin PS4S, right? I think I'm gonna do the same as well. The relative high camber seems to be intentional and common amongst our Taycans. As long as the wear is similar on L/R sides I suppose it's fine.

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
Spirited driving for me hence I only get 210 miles for 100% battery yet my rears still have plenty on them at 20k miles and the fronts changed at 19k

kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I'll add to the thread with my data points. This is after 18k miles of daily med-hard driving, biweekly mountain runs in Northern California (Highway 9). The inside is consistently wearing faster than outside just like everyone else. I measured the treads remaining for your reference.

I plan to keep track of this with the Michelin PS4's I'm getting soon.

Porsche Taycan Odd Tire Wear at 13K Miles Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.47.14 PM