Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Hi guys,
I'm being offered a special extended warranty cuz I'm a "regular customer and Taycan driver" although my car is already 30 months old so my 24 months of factory warranty is already over by 6 months...

I'm being offered three choices:
1 year €911, normally €1850.
2 year €1678, normally €3324.
3 year €2116, normally €4191.

My choice would be 3 year as it's the most attractive in terms of security and price.

But....
If Porsche is so confident about their quality why would I pay €2116 for that to prove it?
My car has been excellent the last 2 years after a few minor, known early bugs.
My dealer is also great, absolutely great.
It's an interesting occasion I think...

What are your thoughts about this special offer?

PS I've already asked what's in it and if it's transferable in case I want to sell the car (very unlikely but still...). 😁
Sponsored

Last edited:

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
it's a good deal with either option, but I think 3-year seems like a long stretch, in case If you are planning to get another Taycan, say an MY24 Turbo S or a Turbo GT, I would go for the 2-year option since the discount ratio is the same as 3-year.

My factory warranty is due in Jan 2023, can't believe I have car for 2 years now, I should also check with my dealer about the extended warranty options in case they can't deliver the GTS in March.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
Another question ( at least relevant in the USA) is whether it's a Porsche extended warranty or a 3rd party warranty. I had a 3rd party ext warranty on my Audi S-5 and it was a pain as the dealer needed to get endorsement for any covered repair from the insurance company. In the end, I made money on the policy as I had a recurring issue with hot gas bypass valve on the emissions system and it was covered.

Reactions: Dee

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I hate paying for extended warranties but at that level of discount I would buy the three year add on. You just never know, sometimes when things go wrong with these cars they can go wrong in a big way!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d take it for another 3-years.
afterall, i pay almost 2k€ for annual insurance.

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What type of coverage do you get on the battery? That is the most important question for an EV.

Reactions: B61

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Hi guys,
I'm being offered a special extended warranty cuz I'm a "regular customer and Taycan driver" although my car is already 30 months old so my 24 months of factory warranty is already over by 6 months...

I'm being offered three choices:
1 year €911, normally €1850.
2 year €1678, normally €3324.
3 year €2116, normally €4191.

My choice would be 3 year as it's the most attractive in terms of security and price.

But....
If Porsche is so confident about their quality why would I pay €2116 for that to prove it?
My car has been excellent the last 2 years after a few minor, known early bugs.
My dealer is also great, absolutely great.
It's an interesting occasion I think...

What are your thoughts about this special offer?

PS I've already asked what's in it and if it's transferable in case I want to sell the car (very unlikely but still...). 😁
Couple of thoughts...............A warranty, insurance policy, etc., is only as good as the company behind it. I would do some pretty extensive research into complaints, particularly those related to denial of claims. Carrying that a bit further, the devil is in the detail. Did you get a copy of the actual contract, or just a sales brochure? Sales brochures are designed to sell something and that is not bad, but when you have a claim the actual contract will govern your satisfaction, or not. I would urge you to get a copy of the actual contract before making a commitment to purchase. Is there a deductible before the warranty starts to pay? How much is that deductible? One way that insurers and warranty writers keep the premium low (in all types of insurance) is to transfer the small claim risks/costs to the insured through a deductible and/or co-insurance. Again, this is not bad as it keeps the premium cost low but understand what you have to pay before the warranty begins to pay. Can the warranty company require non-Porsche replacement parts? What if the parts are not available. Do you just have to sit and wait for days, weeks, months when a Porsche part is (hopefully) available?

I have the same concerns that you and others have expressed - what happens when the Porsche warranty runs out? Do I keep the car and brace myself for a mega-thousand $$$ repair and/or hope that a non-Porsche warranty will offset any repairs........................or, trade the car in and get a new car with a new Porsche warranty? Today, I am leaning toward trade it in after the Porsche warranty runs out, for me, in another 1.5 years or so. My little bitty peabrain thoughts anyhow.

OP
OP
Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Couple of thoughts...............A warranty, insurance policy, etc., is only as good as the company behind it. I would do some pretty extensive research into complaints, particularly those related to denial of claims. Carrying that a bit further, the devil is in the detail. Did you get a copy of the actual contract, or just a sales brochure? Sales brochures are designed to sell something and that is not bad, but when you have a claim the actual contract will govern your satisfaction, or not. I would urge you to get a copy of the actual contract before making a commitment to purchase. Is there a deductible before the warranty starts to pay? How much is that deductible? One way that insurers and warranty writers keep the premium low (in all types of insurance) is to transfer the small claim risks/costs to the insured through a deductible and/or co-insurance. Again, this is not bad as it keeps the premium cost low but understand what you have to pay before the warranty begins to pay. Can the warranty company require non-Porsche replacement parts? What if the parts are not available. Do you just have to sit and wait for days, weeks, months when a Porsche part is (hopefully) available?

I have the same concerns that you and others have expressed - what happens when the Porsche warranty runs out? Do I keep the car and brace myself for a mega-thousand $$$ repair and/or hope that a non-Porsche warranty will offset any repairs........................or, trade the car in and get a new car with a new Porsche warranty? Today, I am leaning toward trade it in after the Porsche warranty runs out, for me, in another 1.5 years or so. My little bitty peabrain thoughts anyhow.
Good point as I was already going to ask what's in there.
It's a November offer so plenty of time to get info.
Thx.

OP
OP
Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
in case If you are planning to get another Taycan
I'm still absolutely happy with mine so no.
This is absolutely the best car I've ever owned so selling it isn't an option.
I always keep the cars I like. 😉

OP
OP
Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
What type of coverage do you get on the battery? That is the most important question for an EV.
Same as others.
100.000kms/8years or something like that.
The battery is not something I worry about.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It already has 7 / 8 years from new (with an allowance for degradation) so that will be covered with the original warranty.

OP
OP
Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Talked to my dealer today and it's like the factory warranty I already had.
It's on the car, not on the person so it values my trade-in if I want to (not likely).
They have to take the car in for inspection and after that the new warranty starts.
So, I decided to go for two years.
If it'll hold for two years, it'll hold for three imho.
Besides, I have new cars by then.
I don't think my Taycan will see another 20.000km in the next three years...

Last edited:

Has

First Name
Has
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2021
Country flag
hey Dee,

I’m going to extent my warranty in 3 months (april ‘23). I’m also living in the Netherlands. Wonder why you get this discount. I’ve to pay full😉 Did they tell you why?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I would definitely take it.
I don't think cost is too bad, as I was paying close to £100pm for the extended BMW warranty on my M2, before I got the Taycan.
Sponsored