felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I have to agree that if they list cars delivered after August as 2020 models, that's a huge extra depreciation hit for no good reason.

But any Taycan is gonna lose $35k in the first year, no matter when they release it. Luxury sedans have terrible resale value usually. :p
In my experience with multipleTesla Ss and Xs behind me, electric cars do not depreciate as badly as ICEs since there are still only a few manufacturers and the initial price is often only a bit higher new than what a lot more people behind want to pay to go electric but when on the used market they then do sell quickly and for a good price. Have not sold my Model 3 yet but that on the other hand will not be my problem.... it will be Porsche’s. :) (They have however, given me a good trade-in price. :)
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In my experience with multipleTesla Ss and Xs behind me, electric cars do not depreciate as badly as ICEs since there are still only a few manufacturers and the initial price is often only a bit higher new than what a lot more people behind want to pay to go electric but when on the used market they then do sell quickly and for a good price. Have not sold my Model 3 yet but that on the other hand will not be my problem.... it will be Porsche’s. :) (They have however, given me a good trade-in price. :)
Here in the US, resale value of non-Tesla EVs are terrible. Folks who paid $120k or more for their Model S probably weren't thrilled either. (Heck, there was a time the MSRP was closer to $140k for a fully-loaded S). In .eu, there's tons of good cheap EV's coming on the market too, so I expect anyone with something older is gonna take a bath.

As for the Taycan, I'd love for it not to drop like a rock, but I'm not holding my breath.

Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
I have to agree that if they list cars delivered after August as 2020 models, that's a huge extra depreciation hit for no good reason.

But any Taycan is gonna lose $35k in the first year, no matter when they release it. Luxury sedans have terrible resale value usually. :p
For sure, the car will not become more valuable because it is a launch car. I have bought launch cars before and they never appreciate or depreciate any different then production vehicles. My guess if that six months after cars arrive, your will see Taycan discounted by dealers to get them off their lots for new 2021 vehicles even if they are exactly the same but I believe there will be improvements to the software and some hardware. Anyway, sorry this worked this way because I was very excited to get the car but now have lost my enthusiasm to be the first guy on the block!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For sure, the car will not become more valuable because it is a launch car. I have bought launch cars before and they never appreciate or depreciate any different then production vehicles. My guess if that six months after cars arrive, your will see Taycan discounted by dealers to get them off their lots for new 2021 vehicles even if they are exactly the same but I believe there will be improvements to the software and some hardware. Anyway, sorry this worked this way because I was very excited to get the car but now have lost my enthusiasm to be the first guy on the block!
It sounds to me, that you are looking for excuses to make you feel better cancelling your order. Fact is: In Norway, nobody cares about US EVs anymore: https://elbilstatistikk.no/

Registrations in 2020
e-tron: 3591
tesla x: 122

This Taycan Porsche will keep it's value quite nicely...

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

As for the Taycan, I'd love for it not to drop like a rock, but I'm not holding my breath.
We'll see. The nice thing about the Taycan is that except for some software glitches and maybe the 22kW charger, it is very good. I don't see why I would want a different car in many years. The only thing that would make me seriously consider would be a new battery type with say 30% more capacity and/or less weight. But that battery may be retrofitted, at least in principle, to the Taycan (with just about 30 screws and one plug). I am expecting to drive this car for a very long time.

Cheers,
Henrik

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello,

We'll see. The nice thing about the Taycan is that except for some software glitches and maybe the 22kW charger, it is very good. I don't see why I would want a different car in many years. The only thing that would make me seriously consider would be a new battery type with say 30% more capacity and/or less weight. But that battery may be retrofitted, at least in principle, to the Taycan (with just about 30 screws and one plug). I am expecting to drive this car for a very long time.

Cheers,
Henrik
To me, HUD is a game changer. That’s the option that has me second guessing getting the car now.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
why do people believe that HUD is imminent given that they can barely produce the cars in the current configuration?
I didn't say it was imminent, but it's an option I have considered holding out for. Many people think it will be included in the next rev of the car, whenever that comes out.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I didn't say it was imminent, but it's an option I have considered holding out for. Many people think it will be included in the next rev of the car, whenever that comes out.
I'm actually not a HUD fan. I find it distracting and really unnecessary. I mean, what are you looking for that you can't just easily find on the dashboard?

Reactions: Dee

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had it in my cars for the last 15 years. I love it. It's a lot easier to keep your eyes on the road when you want to look at something that would otherwise be displayed on the dashboard. It's not in your way viewing the road, you can orient it at the bottom of the windshield. I like it for seeing how fast I'm going without having to look down at the dash. Maybe it's just me, my height or something, but I invariably find that the steering wheel obstructs my view of the dash. The HUD will also show you your turn by turn directions if you have a destination programmed in the NAV. Again, saves you from having to look away while driving. Finally, newer cars will show you the speed limit in the HUD. I don't have that, but have had it in rental cars, and I think it's awesome.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I have to say, Dave has a point IMHO. In the Corvette I have the HUD and only look at it, not the dashboard.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One more week to go in the shutdown. I wonder if they will actually start production up next week as originally planned. I’m not holding my breath!

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
One more week to go in the shutdown. I wonder if they will actually start production up next week as originally planned. I’m not holding my breath!
Yeah don't think so. The restrictions related to the virus will start to be relaxed in a controlled way when the trend of new cases is clearly going down. We're still ways off from this, I don't expect production starting in April. I'm hopeful it starts in May, so maybe I can get my car (which is in production) sometime in June. But I fear even May for continuing production could be too early. But I'm hopeful. April is likely out of the question anyways, unless they figure out ways to work the plant with sufficient hygiene & social distancing policies (which I think could be possible if they tried).

I don't think it's black & white, they could run it with limited capacity and high level hygiene practises in place. Then ramp up as the epidemic slows down.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Makes sense. We will see. My car is also in production. Sitting there all alone, waiting to be finished. It does look like corona could be leveling off in Germany, with the new cases going down for the last couple days. But that could also be due to running out of tests:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/
Sponsored