Official Taycan Owners Registry

jan

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera S E-hybrid, Panamera 4 E-hybrid, Taycan 4S performance bat.
Country flag
Hi.
Is the Turbo front an attachment or is it a whole new front lower end.?
porsche has only replaced the lower lip, these components can apparently be ordered separately. grtz jan
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I took delivery yesterday at PECATL. My car:

Here's one photo below, but for more, including the PEC Delivery Experience, see the "Showcase" gallery here:
xa_sc_view_item_x
Brent

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry IMG_2605.JPG

Last edited:

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Farrah – The first 3 days

On May 4, 2018, I put down $1,000 to secure myself 48th in the queue for a Mission E at Porsche Stevens Creek in Santa Clara, CA. A year and a half later, I set up up a Google Alert for the newly named “Taycan” and join TaycanForum. I’ve been a voracious reader on the car ever since. And then I waited. I waited and waited.

It was super exciting to watch the world rollout livestreamed on my computer. I even woke up early to do so. I followed with keen interest Don Louv’s (@louv) epic trailblazing trip through Canada and around the US. I came back (and still do) to TF everyday to see new stories and photos and learn all I can before taking ownership. I couldn’t wait to get my car! Along the way, I have made several new friends here on the Forum that I speak to offline about the car. Thank you to those who have withstood the barrage of my many questions.

And finally, on September 15, just a few days ago, it was my turn. This posting won’t be a review of the car, per se. I think that has been very well documented by now. Yes, it’s an amazing car to drive. Without a doubt, the most fun car I’ve ever had the pleasure of driving. And quite frankly, I can’t believe I own it. But this is my first electric vehicle, my first Porsche, and I have been nervous about both of these facts for quite a while. Three days into owning it, neither of those things are true anymore. What I want to do for the rest of this post is talk about the experience of buying it and the first days of ownership, because simply, it’s unlike any other process I’ve had to go through before.

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600456761097

(first time I ever saw Farrah...about to walk inside)

My wife is super terrified about contracting the coronavirus. Having pulmonary issues, it’s likely to kill her. Going into stores and, say, automobile centers, is not something she would want anybody in our household to do. Yet there was a tension, because after seeing other people post their photos and tell their stories of their buying experience, I really wanted to have that too. Through a compromise, instead of home delivery, I had the car ready for pick up right next to an open garage door in the service bay at the dealership. She took a few photos and when it was time to go into the office, she left. The dealership made a show of the young woman who wiped down the desk and chairs in front of me. I felt safe and that I was honoring my wife’s wishes.

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600456625316

(George Acosta and me at Porsche Stevens Creek)

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600456896359

(wrapped up to prevent the transmission of dirt and viruses from spreading)

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600457002130

(getting ready to launch)

The drawback to this was that I couldn’t have someone sit in the car and help me configure and customize it. From the Forum and a few YouTube videos, I had enough knowledge as to what to do, but it would have been nice to have a full tutorial from staff. After all, I paid for it! Needless to say, they handed me the keys, handed me a bag with a mug, two espresso cups, and a storage hardcover thingy, and bid me farewell. Farrah had 17 miles on it when I picked her up. Immediately after I left, I drove down the street to where I used to work (pre-covid) and showed her to my friend and colleague, who had been suffering vicariously through the long wait for her to show up.

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600457122130

(some dealers will include all weather mats or tinting. This is what they gave me. To be fair, they are very high quality mugs. I'm unclear of the purpose for that carrying case)

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600457321355

(That building is my office. My work partner/friend and my manager came out to meet Farrah. This was the first Taycan they have seen and couldn't stop saying how beautiful she was. Even a gardener stopped to take a walk around. He whistled his approval.)

I took her home and spent the next several hours trying to set up HomeLink (couldn’t get it to work), getting SiriusXM transferred, and generally trying to learn the tech in the car. Originally, I didn’t realize that in order for much of the PCM / Connect functionality to work, you need to “purchase” the apps from the MyPorsche store. That was a phone call and took a day to kick in.

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600457576474

(the various manuals and literature that came with the car. I don't know why there are two "Porsche Mobile Charger Connect" manuals. One is 156 pages, the other is 502 pages. The English section in each add up to 20 pages total. Extraordinarily wasteful, considering I got 2 each of both of them! )(not shown).

I haven’t driven her much, as I work from home. But each trip I have gone out for, thus far, has been to accomplish some goal. For example, I took one trip at night to learn and see about the Night Vision Assist and practice the Nav system. I love that you can say "Hey Porsche, take me home" and it works! I took one drive on a freeway just to be able to test out the Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist and InnoDrive. I took another to drive to an Electrify America location and “practice” using their equipment. That didn’t go well. I used all 3 of their 150kw pumps. I really didn’t know what I was doing and brought down a pump unit by trying to use my phone to pay. I went to a second pump (after figuring out what I did wrong on the first) only to have it not work. At that point, I tried to use the third and final pump, but the charging unit wouldn’t be released from my car. It took about 15 minutes of me trying and finally it released. I don’t know what happened. The third pump was equally unsuccessful. I finally broke down and called for customer support. Chris had try different pumps and techniques and walked me through the app, to no avail. Eventually he had me go back to the second pump (the one where it got stuck in my car) and he manually turned it on -- and on his third attempt, it finally worked. So I was successful in getting electrons. But I was unsuccessful in using the app to do it. Incidentally, after I had hung up with Chris, and finished charging, I couldn't get the pump out...again! It took about 5 minutes for it to release. I’ll go back this weekend to try it again. It was nice to see how fast it worked, and these were only 150kw!

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600458092330

(Redwood trees and Taycans go together beautifully)

The bottom line in this overly long report is that this car, in the beginning, requires a tremendous amount of thinking and work. I still don’t have everything set up. For example, I turned on Apple Music while I was in the dealership waiting for some paperwork to be completed, and it worked! I was so excited. My whole library showed up and I was able to play it. But for some reason, it disappeared and I have been unable to get it back on. I have an Android phone…but I don’t think that is the explanation (as it worked once). I *think* it has something to do with my profile. That’s another project to resolve. And that’s my point. In previous cars I’ve purchased, you set the seats, the mirrors, your radio presets, and you’re off and running. Maybe you use the manual to teach you how some special feature works, but basically, it’s easy. With the Taycan, I’m on day 3 and still configuring and learning and I still don’t have it the way I want it. And I haven’t even tried to learn my 18 way seats yet! There is simply a lot to deal with. I’m not sure I like that about the car. The User Interface and the way you’re required to set preferences are not intuitive and require YouTube videos and help from TaycanForum members and even so, there is a slight amount of apprehension for wondering if everything you’ve set up will again mysteriously disappear the next time you’re in the car. For example, I don't understand why the Regen/recuperation always resets to "off" when you turn off the car (I knew that would happen, but quite honestly, it's stupid not to keep that setting intact). More to the point, I spend much too much time *thinking* about the car and not *experiencing* her. I know that this is just what it’s like in the beginning and I know this initial phase will end. I just wish it wasn’t so hard.

I appreciate the vast amount of knowledge on this Forum. There are those here who have technical backgrounds and have been most generous in their sharing of information. Please keep it up.

Porsche, if you’re reading this, I hope you see this as constructive feedback. Your car is a delight. A true Porsche in driving and handling and styling. Well done. But please please please take a lesson in easier user interfaces and fewer steps to get everything working properly. There is such a thing as over-engineered, and the Taycan’s user functionality would win awards for that.

Side note…I always name my cars. For this one, I wanted to choose a name that represented the field of electronics so I chose Michael Faraday, who contributed to the study of electromagnetism and electrochemistry. But my car is a she, so I truncated it to Fara, and then, recognizing the super sexy beast that she is, decided to spell it Farrah.

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1600458385059

(I really did have this poster when I was a young lad in the late 70s)

Last edited:

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
Congrats on your car. It looks amazing and great post. My Gentian Blue with Truffle Brown interior is arriving at the Dealer today, and I should have mine on Monday.

Good name for your car. I remember that poster so many years ago. It was iconic.

Last edited:

Parmd

First Name
Parm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bicycle
Country flag
  • Vehicle trim/model: Turbo S
  • Color: Dolomite Silver / red leather
  • Porsche Code: PMHQU5U4
  • Delivery date: 27/11/20
  • Link to your photos / thread:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The bottom line in this overly long report is that this car, in the beginning, requires a tremendous amount of thinking and work. I still don’t have everything set up. ... And that’s my point. In previous cars I’ve purchased, you set the seats, the mirrors, your radio presets, and you’re off and running. Maybe you use the manual to teach you how some special feature works, but basically, it’s easy. With the Taycan, I’m on day 3 and still configuring and learning and I still don’t have it the way I want it. And I haven’t even tried to learn my 18 way seats yet!
YES! Completely agree. It feels, a lot of tech ideas have been simply dumped into this car without really thinking things through from an owner point of view.

Luckily this does not apply to the driving dynamics, gas, break, steering, who cars about the rest?

I think the best way is to prioritize. What is it what you need, the rest ignore it for a while and just use the car. I have mine for almost 2 months and only today, I dug into the settings to find out how I can make my mirrors fold in when parking...

I also played around in the car with the privacy setting related to the Porsche server. Afterwards, I opened the App on my phone. Sometimes I just check if there is any progress. And suddenly for the first time I see the "Porsche Server" shows up in the magic circle. 2 hours later the left side is red. I keep playing with the settings, perhaps I can get the app to work...

Porsche Taycan Official Taycan Owners Registry 1602326551843

My take on the Taycan: Enjoy the driving, it is sensational! The rest is a toy, play as you like, but don't expect anything!

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
  • Vehicle trim/model: 2020 Turbo S
  • Color: Dolomite Silver
  • Porsche Code: PLDNDCB2
  • Delivery date: 9/4/20
IMG_2986.jpeg

IMG_2990.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2976.jpeg
Stunning.

I chose Jet Black and black, feels lacking inspiration compared to most people. But then again, black unicorns need black cars.

But this is awesome!

Redders

First Name
Antony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mercedes E240 Est, BMW 420d Sport Conv
Country flag
  • Vehicle trim/model: Turbo S
  • Color: Dolomite Silver / red leather
  • Porsche Code: PMHQU5U4
  • Delivery date: 27/11/20
Mine is a 4S Dolomite Silver / red leather, but 27th Nov is the day when mine is scheduled to leave the factory... hopefully it will arrive before Chistmas.
Sponsored