Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Did tesla drive a full lap? Or was it the BtG?
Sponsored

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Good question...
A full lap is 20.832km, and a BTG lap is 19.1km, which equates to around 20-30 seconds less time. Public driving days (“touristfarhten”) do not permit full laps, so only BTG is possible.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I know.
Tesla wasn't even in the industry pool.
But that's Tesla, always mysterious.
With Porsche, things are clear.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think Porsche is more professional.
Tesla is more emotion-driven hence the Twitter-behaviour of Elon Musk or, like now, the lack of it.
But competition is good, this is a great soap to follow! :clap::clap::clap:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Somebody wrote a whole article about my feelings ... https://drivetribe.com/p/why-teslas-plaid-powertrain-is-Owfb3XeYQNuwpy3WVNcOSw

for the record, I don’t doubt the 2021 model s will smoke the 2020 taycan
I don't think so as the 400V has double the amps in contrast to the 800V of Porsche so it has a much higher generation of heat and therefore loss of efficiency, maybe even shutdown.
So if these motors are more powerful (likely) they'll generate even more heat.

Also cuz the Tesla isn't build as a race car from the ground up.
The Nürnburgring is a very demanding track and you can not just come and think you'll do this just like that.

Last edited:

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I think Porsche is more professional.
Tesla is more emotion-driven hence the Twitter-behaviour of Elon Musk or, like now, the lack of it.
But competition is good, this is a great soap to follow! :clap::clap::clap:
Competition is great an fun!

My question is, how did Tesla run the whole track? On Touristenfahrten Days and Track Days, which is one of the days the Model S Plaid ran, the cars are only allowed to run 11.9 miles of the track, but the ENTIRE track is 12.944 miles......so how did Tesla run the entire track without reserving the track??????

Or are the articles wrong about the length of the track on the days the public is allowed access on the Track Days and Touristenfahrten days?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Competition is great an fun!

My question is, how did Tesla run the whole track? On Touristenfahrten Days and Track Days, which is one of the days the Model S Plaid ran, the cars are only allowed to run 11.9 miles of the track, but the ENTIRE track is 12.944 miles......so how did Tesla run the entire track without reserving the track??????

Or are the articles wrong about the length of the track on the days the public is allowed access on the Track Days and Touristenfahrten days?
Just intersections.
Add them up and you'll have your laptime.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think so as the 400V has double the amps in contrast to the 800V of Porsche so it has a much higher generation of heat and therefore loss of efficiency, maybe even shutdown.
So if these motors are more powerful (likely) they'll generate even more heat.

Also cuz the Tesla isn't build as a race car from the ground up.
The Nürnburgring is a very demanding track and you can not just come and think you'll do this just like that.
well the Tesla run here was a prototype with PSM motors, unlike the current generation (which uses 1 each). We don’t run what else changed. Switching to 800V would be a fun plot twist. Or possibly they just added more cooling and compensated for the weight by ripping out the interior. They have at least 20% more battery power to burn, and there’s a lot they can do with that.

this power train was designed for the roadster and Tesla has been taking track performance more seriously in recent years. The original model S was never intended for this and designed almost 10 years ago. this model was designed after adding track mode to the model 3. Tesla: arrogant, not stupid.

It’s all pretty ridiculous until they bring a production trim to the fight

Reactions: Dee

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I'm sure they'll get there but I don't think Porsche is just sitting and watching...
Well, maybe from their Taycan:

https://jalopnik.com/one-of-teslas-...alopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook
The video in that article speaks VOLUMES. So ironic to see a Taycan drive by the Tesla broken down on the side of the track!!! Hey...even an electric scooter can run the Nordschleife faster than the Tesla Model S!! :CWL::CWL:

This was just a premature test for Tesla....vehicle obviously not ready. I speculate it is battery temeperature management. With a 400v system, it will be REALLY tough to get it to work.
Sponsored