Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I thought I would create a new thread for this one. It is my understanding that you should not order this option in North America.

Below from another thread:
I would get the 400K Charger!
I’ve done long trips. While only 2/8 charges are the high speed ones, it’s great going from 25 to 80% in 15 min.
Apparently, there are 2 different types of fast chargers, 400v and 800v. In North America, there are few, if any at 400v. If you are in Europe, this option does have value. I finally found a sales guy at a dealership that KNOWS this car and he confirms.

Here's an informative YouTube video on Taycan charging which addresses it at 12:26.

Taycan Charging
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This is a picture of a 400V 150KW DC charger that are popular in Ireland - where picking this option makes a lot of sense. Honestly, given that its just a €350 option and a lot of buyers are confused, they should just include it. But this is Porsche we're talking about here :)

Porsche Taycan On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger IMG_0158

tomw00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS P510e, i3S,Turbo
Country flag
I have ordered the 150kW and the 22kW AC on the basis I will be driving around Europe and remote parts of the UK. For example I was in Aberystwyth ( Wales ) yesterday and highest power charger I could find was 22kW so have the flexibility seems like a good idea ( at least for the next few years ).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
For any countries in Europe both options 150 kW and 22kW are very useful. France have a lot of 22 kW chargers around the country side. And 400 volt chargers are still being rolled out as well as 800 volt chargers. The 22kW option is a bit pricey and you need to estimate how much time you might spend away from the major road network With HPC.

The 400 volt 150 kW option is a no brainier for the cost of it! IMHO

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Ditto. I ordered it.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
I thought I would create a new thread for this one. It is my understanding that you should not order this option in North America.

Below from another thread:

Apparently, there are 2 different types of fast chargers, 400v and 800v. In North America, there are few, if any at 400v. If you are in Europe, this option does have value. I finally found a sales guy at a dealership that KNOWS this car and he confirms.

Here's an informative YouTube video on Taycan charging which addresses it at 12:26.

Taycan Charging
You may want to check the EA map. There are plenty of 400v (150KW) chargers where you need them. As a bonus, most cars aren't able to use them. So, while at a bank of 8 chargers at Walmart, 2 may be the 150KW type, they are often available. I have never experienced a situation where I couldn't drive up to the bank and charge at the fast chargers. Even if there was someone there, a typical charge from 30% to 80% takes less than 15 min. Your other option is the 50KW charger that will take 3x as long.

For such a low cost option, you should get it. They aren't taking the chargers away and they sure will be adding more. JMO-skip the painted key and get the charger - you can always order the key wings later...

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
You may want to check the EA map. There are plenty of 400v (150KW) chargers where you need them. As a bonus, most cars aren't able to use them. So, while at a bank of 8 chargers at Walmart, 2 may be the 150KW type, they are often available. I have never experienced a situation where I couldn't drive up to the bank and charge at the fast chargers. Even if there was someone there, a typical charge from 30% to 80% takes less than 15 min. Your other option is the 50KW charger that will take 3x as long.

For such a low cost option, you should get it. They aren't taking the chargers away and they sure will be adding more. JMO-skip the painted key and get the charger - you can always order the key wings later...
I was under the impression that nearly all of EA's chargers were 800v regardless of whether they output 150 or 350 kWh. Is that not right? Btw, I think that @daveo4EV and @ron_b have hunted for 400V + >50 kWh chargers in the wild (non-EA). Not sure they've skinned one yet but it seems like it's somewhat difficult to verify because these chargers are often mislabeled.

Last edited:

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I was under the impression that nearly all of EA's chargers were 800v regardless of whether they output 150 or 350 kWh. Is that not right? Btw, I think that @daveo4EV and @ron_b have hunted for 400V + >50 kWh chargers in the wild (non-EA). Not sure they've skinned one yet but it seems like it's somewhat difficult to verify because these chargers are often mislabeled.
This was my understanding as well.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Bumping an old thread because it’s important that people buying Taycans in the US understand this.

By far the majority of EV charging stations in the US are Tesla superchargers. They are all 480v. When Tesla completes there plan to open the stations to all EVs, Taycans without this option will only be able to charge at 50kW. I have selected this option on my order.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Bumping an old thread because it’s important that people buying Taycans in the US understand this.

By far the majority of EV charging stations in the US are Tesla superchargers. They are all 480v. When Tesla completes there plan to open the stations to all EVs, Taycans without this option will only be able to charge at 50kW. I have selected this option on my order.
this is all reasonable and well founded speculation - and I also agree you should option this for your Taycan - and I have a long history of posting that opinion - so @Marcad80 and I are in 100% agreement…

however the following is true:
  • the time line for US opening of the Supercharger network is unpublished at this time - it could be 2 or more years before this happens, or it could be during 2022 - we simply don't know
  • the exact mechanism to deal with the physical plug difference are unpublished at this time
  • _IF_ there is an adapter (Tesla ---> CCS) the adapter's max KW are undocumented at this time
    • for example the legacy Tesla Chademo adapter is limited to 50 KW - CCS adapter could have a similar limitation - we simply don't know anything yet in this regard.
you _COULD_ specify this option and still be limited to 50 KW due to limitations of the adapter which are undocumented at this time…

if you have a 2 year lease - your lease could be up before you can use a Supercharger in the US

so while I"m a big fan of this option as cheap insurance and very very useful when you need it - anyone spending the $460 on this option should go in eye's open and realize preparing for access to the Tesla Supercharger network is highly speculative - I have no doubt it will happen - but as most things with Elon/Tesla - I"ve seen over the years they mostly deliver - but the time frames are greatly elongated from their original estimates…

great feature, I 100% agree all Taycan's should have it (other's disagree) - and _IF_ the adapter is not limited in charging capacity you'll appreciate the faster charging times at Tesla Superchargers - if/when that happens…

stay tuned.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

the only flaw in your thinking is that tesla will actually implement this in the US in a timely manner.
in the US there are hardware issues, tesla units in the US are incompatible with the CCS standards.
maybe someone will devise an adaptor that coupled with tesla doing software adjustments to their chargers to allow non tesla charging.
bottom line; don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

Mike 4S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I see your posts batteries and it appears you have a good understanding of the Taycan batteries. I have a question - how many degrees (Fahrenheit) per minute does my Taycan battery temperature increase during precondition (heating up) ........ what is the optimal temperature those batteries should be at for a 150kw charging station?

Mike 4S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is all reasonable and well founded speculation - and I also agree you should option this for your Taycan - and I have a long history of posting that opinion - so @Marcad80 and I are in 100% agreement…

however the following is true:
  • the time line for US opening of the Supercharger network is unpublished at this time - it could be 2 or more years before this happens, or it could be during 2022 - we simply don't know
  • the exact mechanism to deal with the physical plug difference are unpublished at this time
  • _IF_ there is an adapter (Tesla ---> CCS) the adapter's max KW are undocumented at this time
    • for example the legacy Tesla Chademo adapter is limited to 50 KW - CCS adapter could have a similar limitation - we simply don't know anything yet in this regard.
you _COULD_ specify this option and still be limited to 50 KW due to limitations of the adapter which are undocumented at this time…

if you have a 2 year lease - your lease could be up before you can use a Supercharger in the US

so while I"m a big fan of this option as cheap insurance and very very useful when you need it - anyone spending the $460 on this option should go in eye's open and realize preparing for access to the Tesla Supercharger network is highly speculative - I have no doubt it will happen - but as most things with Elon/Tesla - I"ve seen over the years they mostly deliver - but the time frames are greatly elongated from their original estimates…

great feature, I 100% agree all Taycan's should have it (other's disagree) - and _IF_ the adapter is not limited in charging capacity you'll appreciate the faster charging times at Tesla Superchargers - if/when that happens…

stay tuned.

I see your posts batteries and it appears you have a good understanding of the Taycan batteries. I have a question - how many degrees (Fahrenheit) per minute does my Taycan battery temperature increase during precondition (heating up) ........ what is the optimal temperature those batteries should be at for a 150kw charging station?

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
100% agree with daveo4ev and Mike 4s

for me I still have (and will keep) the Model S I bought in 2015, so the Taycan I have on order I plan on keeping for a long time.

I am confident in Tesla opening up there superchargers as I have seen the company switch from a customer focus company to a profit focused one. And I believe they are more conserned about turning a profit than they are congestion at their chargers. I got to experience them slowing my charging rate down to uselessness to keep me off the chargers as my charging is free for life. I fully expect them to charge a nice premium for there use. But there locations keep growing incredibly fast.

I would predict they’ll either make us get the reverse of this or charge us for there use at there stations…. Time will tell…

https://electrek.co/2021/10/08/tesla-ccs-adapter-finally-coming/amp/

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Their supercharger map already show the option for non-Tesla locations so it's coming.
Sponsored