On Board Charger and Direct Charging ?? What, why and how?

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 4S with the optional onboard 150kw/400volt DC Charger.
can someone please explain when I would ever use this? I have the mobile charger connect and plug it into a 50 amp 240v plug in my garage. When I’m traveling, I go to a electrify America station. So what are the scenarios where I use the onboard charger and when should I select “direct charging” on my charging screen (vs not selecting it and having it use AC charging)? It’s all very unclear in the good to know app. And the dealer doesn’t know of course.
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
DC stands for Direct Current and has nothing to do with the "Direct charging" feature. Direct charging means essentially "profile bypass" meaning you'll bypass any profiles when AC charging (at home for the example). Use of profiles is disabled automatically when DC charging so the feature can't be selected or deselected.

I make good use of the Direct Charging button in my garage. I have a general profile set with the 85% charging target (called a minimum but it is in fact also a target), and when I want to charge to 100% I simply enable the direct charging which means "bypass all profiles and charge to 100%".

OP
OP
MWarsaw

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
DC stands for Direct Current and has nothing to do with the "Direct charging" feature. Direct charging means essentially "profile bypass" meaning you'll bypass any profiles when AC charging (at home for the example). Use of profiles is disabled automatically when DC charging so the feature can't be selected or deselected.

I make good use of the Direct Charging button in my garage. I have a general profile set with the 85% charging target (called a minimum but it is in fact also a target), and when I want to charge to 100% I simply enable the direct charging which means "bypass all profiles and charge to 100%".
Thank you!! Why can’t Porsche be that damn clear!! DC vs Direct charging why, “minimum” also is a “target”...ugh. They have a lot of work to do to make things easier to understand.
so what about the on board charger ? When do you think I’ll need to use that 150 KW/400 volt system?
Thank you !!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag