Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I’m confused on what the standard on board charger is. Everything I read (even up to summer 2021) talks about an 11kw standard on board charger. But the configurator I ordered from says the standard is a 9.6kw on board charger. Did they change the OBC? Or am I missing something simple here…
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
The on-board ‘standard’ charger supports:
- AC charging at up to 240v at 45 amps (approx 11kw)
- DC charging at 800v at up to 400 amps (approx 350 kw)
Optional chargers include:
- AC charging at up to 240v at 90 amps (approx 22kw)
- DC charging at 400v at up to 375 amps (approx 150 kw)

In North America, due to electrical codes, your electric supply circuit needs to be 125% of the charging current. So, with the standard 11kw built-in charger running at 45 amps, you’d need a 60 amp circuit and a 45 amp EVSE. I personally use a 40 amp EVSE so I only get 9.6 kw. I don’t know of an EVSE which goes to 45 amps: they seem to be 40 amps (9.6kw) or 80 amps.

Maybe that’s why the configuration shows 9.6kw for the standard built-in charger.

Porsche no longer recommends using their upgraded AC charger at the max rate of 90 amps on single phase circuits, which is what homes in North America use. So this option has limited value when charging at home (though some work places, factories and other industrial buildings use three phase circuits and so this option might have value if you’re charging at work, but you need to check).

The 400v charger might be useful if Tesla opens up their charging network, but at this time there are no solid plans to do this.

MarekO

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’m confused on what the standard on board charger is. Everything I read (even up to summer 2021) talks about an 11kw standard on board charger. But the configurator I ordered from says the standard is a 9.6kw on board charger. Did they change the OBC? Or am I missing something simple here…
In USA is standard 9,6kw (maybe some countries more) and other countries standard are 11kw.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
.................. I don’t know of an EVSE which goes to 45 amps: they seem to be 40 amps (9.6kw) or 80 amps.
ChargePoint's (variable amerage) HomeFlex hard wired installation does and it's 48A delivered for a 60 amp breaker:

Porsche Taycan On Board Charger Change? Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 10.12.33 AM

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The on-board ‘standard’ charger supports:
- AC charging at up to 240v at 45 amps (approx 11kw)
- DC charging at 800v at up to 400 amps (approx 350 kw)
Optional chargers include:
- AC charging at up to 240v at 90 amps (approx 22kw)
- DC charging at 400v at up to 375 amps (approx 150 kw)

In North America, due to electrical codes, your electric supply circuit needs to be 125% of the charging current. So, with the standard 11kw built-in charger running at 45 amps, you’d need a 60 amp circuit and a 45 amp EVSE. I personally use a 40 amp EVSE so I only get 9.6 kw. I don’t know of an EVSE which goes to 45 amps: they seem to be 40 amps (9.6kw) or 80 amps.

Maybe that’s why the configuration shows 9.6kw for the standard built-in charger.

Porsche no longer recommends using their upgraded AC charger at the max rate of 90 amps on single phase circuits, which is what homes in North America use. So this option has limited value when charging at home (though some work places, factories and other industrial buildings use three phase circuits and so this option might have value if you’re charging at work, but you need to check).

The 400v charger might be useful if Tesla opens up their charging network, but at this time there are no solid plans to do this.
The 400V option is a DC to DC booster for the 50kW DC 400v onboard charger rather than a charger - just for clarity

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Thanks, I searched for “on board charger” but missed that thread.

lazvek

First Name
Laz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Carrera S Cabrio
Country flag
ChargePoint's (variable amerage) HomeFlex hard wired installation does and it's 48A delivered for a 60 amp breaker:

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 10.12.33 AM.png
+1

ChargePoint seems to be the best option if you want the full 11.5kw. I have two of them and that would be my recommendation. Also, getting a 100A+ circuit in your home is not practical. 60A is doable.

This begs the question: Is the upgraded on-board AC charger is usable for most people?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
+1

ChargePoint seems to be the best option if you want the full 11.5kw. I have two of them and that would be my recommendation. Also, getting a 100A+ circuit in your home is not practical. 60A is doable.

This begs the question: Is the upgraded on-board AC charger is usable for most people?
If DC charging is convenient and you can get up to 9.6kW for home charging (overnight) then there is no real need for more AC (unless it's already in place) IMHO.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
" Porsche no longer recommends using their upgraded AC charger at the max rate of 90 amps on single phase circuits, which is what homes in North America use. "
Source?
I was under the impression that a few months ago, Porsche added a disclaimer in the configurator that for use with single phase circuits they recommend limiting the 19.2 on-board charger power to 7kw. If I am mistaken, my apologies.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I recently took delivery of 2022 4S (USA). The dealer provided me a document "PCSS Vehicle Information" that lists every component for my car's VIN, including serial numbers for some parts. On that list is:
KB3 G CHARGER, 11 KW
I believe that is the item for on-board charger on my car. I did not upgrade to the 19.2 kw charger. If that component list describes it as 11 kw, I take that as official.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was under the impression that a few months ago, Porsche added a disclaimer in the configurator that for use with single phase circuits they recommend limiting the 19.2 on-board charger power to 7kw. If I am mistaken, my apologies.
The 19.2 kW charger is an option. I've ordered it on my 4S:

Optional On-Board AC Charger to increase maximum charging power when charging with alternating current (AC) up to 19.2 kW and to shorten the charging time.

US standard for homes is 240V Split Phase (two phases 180 degrees out of sync). I have the Porsche Wall Charger Connect set up in my garage. It is on a 100AMP breaker with a maximum current of 80AMPs and up to 19.2 kW charging rate. I believe you get 9.6 kW with the standard AC charger.

There are no caveats that I'm aware of for using the onboard, optional, 19.2 kW charger. Except, of course, having an EVSE, like the Porsche Wall Charger Connect, that can support that rate.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The NA Porsche configurator shows 9.6kW for the standard charger, the European Porsche configuration shows 11.2kW for the standard charger. (Just checked real quick) Did you use the wrong configurator? If you have a Porsche code you should be able to put it into the NA configurator and the standard equipment should show up as a button on the bottom.

If I display the standard equipment on my 4S it shows, under E-Mobility:

E-Mobility
Plug and Charge capability
Mobile Charger Plus
Charge port on driver (AC) and front passenger side (CCS-Combo)
On-board AC-charger with 9.6kW (AC)
On-Board DC-Charger with 50 kW/400V (DC)
120 Volt supply cable for Mobile Charger
240 Volt NEMA 14-50 supply cable for Mobile Charger
Heat pump

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The NA Porsche configurator shows 9.6kW for the standard charger, the European Porsche configuration shows 11.2kW for the standard charger. (Just checked real quick) Did you use the wrong configurator? If you have a Porsche code you should be able to put it into the NA configurator and the standard equipment should show up as a button on the bottom.

If I display the standard equipment on my 4S it shows, under E-Mobility:

E-Mobility
Plug and Charge capability
Mobile Charger Plus
Charge port on driver (AC) and front passenger side (CCS-Combo)
On-board AC-charger with 9.6kW (AC)
On-Board DC-Charger with 50 kW/400V (DC)
120 Volt supply cable for Mobile Charger
240 Volt NEMA 14-50 supply cable for Mobile Charger
Heat pump
the North American Taycan comes with a 48 amp (60 amp breaker) on board AC charger that supports upto 11 kW charge rate just like the European models…

Porsche's website is _WRONG_ in that it documents the North American Taycan's maximum L2 AC charge rate at 9.6 kw - I have no idea why porsche does this - there is _NOT_ a separate part number or software for the North American Taycan vs. European models (or rest of the world for that matter).

9.6 kW _IS_ the maximum charge rate you can achieve with _MOBILE_ EVSE's since the maximum amount of power a plug based EVSE in North America since any 240V circuit with more than 50 amp breaker is required to be hardwired (i.e. NOT mobile)

if you purchase the Porsche Wall Charger _OR_ any other EVSE and install it on a 60 amp or greater circuit your North American Taycan will charge at 48 amps/11 kW…

Porsche is low balling the North American's Taycan's standard equipment charger at 9.6 kW - it's clearly wrong, has been wrong for years - and there is ample evidence that the Taycan in North America charges at 11 kW when presented with any number of 48 amp (60 amp breaker) EVSE's…

it's a fact, the website is wrong, I don't know why people find this so difficult.
Sponsored