One more question: what do you use your FRUNK for?

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
There were definitely people who called them frunks in Rennlist forums for both Porsches and (amazingly) Toyota MR2s.
In 2004. I would like to see any use of the word before then. Rennlist has been around since 2001.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Must be a regional thing. I along with every Porsche, VW and Fiat 850 owner have always called it a trunk and always will, just like Porsche and god intended.
Everyone knows ;) a trunk is in the rear of the car and has been since the days when trunks were literally "trunks" that were external to the bodywork. But obviously the original air-cooled Porsches had a "front trunk", hence frunk. Completely logical. Elon Musk and god had absolutely nothing to do with it! I can't document where frunk originated but I've used the term since I bought my first Porsche in 1984.

Anyway, I keep a Porsche first aid kit from a prior European Delivery in my frunk plus the cover when it's not on the car.

T@yc@n4uS

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aprilia RSV1000R, Taycan 4S, BMW 1200GS
Country flag
Beer and cars? What ever could go wrong
You don’t like cold beer when you get to your final destination during a trip? My wife and I took a 850 mile road trip from SF to Seattle over the course of a 5 days. The frunk was super handy for keeping snacks and a few other items cold during the trip. Was a treat to arrive at hotels late and still have a cold beer. Don’t really care what you call it, but the little bit of extra storage goes a long way on our adventures.

OP
OP
VolcanoGrey

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
Must be a regional thing. I along with every Porsche, VW and Fiat 850 owner have always called it a trunk and always will, just like Porsche and god intended.
I think I’ll join team trunk. The F is awkward. Spend more time explaining or waiting for the eye rolls to stop than it takes to say “front trunk”.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Everyone knows ;) a trunk is in the rear of the car and has been since the days when trunks were literally "trunks" that were external to the bodywork. But obviously the original air-cooled Porsches had a "front trunk", hence frunk. Completely logical. Elon Musk and god had absolutely nothing to do with it! I can't document where frunk originated but I've used the term since I bought my first Porsche in 1984.

Anyway, I keep a Porsche first aid kit from a prior European Delivery in my frunk plus the cover when it's not on the car.
I can find absolutely no usage of the word Frunk in any book I own, online or anywhere else before 2000. Nowhere did I say Elon had anything to do with it, he was mentioned merely as a reference in time. Surely if the word was used in the 1980s it would have some reference somewhere? Paul Frere certainly didn’t use the term in 2006. He used front and rear boot. Regardless of its origins Porsche uses the word trunk and I believe Porsche owners should too. Leave frunk to the infidel non believer Tesla owners.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I use the frunk for my 19" (48 cm) carry-on suitcase. I also use the frunk for hiking gear.

Porsche Taycan One more question: what do you use your FRUNK for? 1658343257459

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can find absolutely no usage of the word Frunk in any book I own, online or anywhere else before 2000. Nowhere did I say Elon had anything to do with it, he was mentioned merely as a reference in time. Surely if the word was used in the 1980s it would have some reference somewhere? Paul Frere certainly didn’t use the term in 2006. He used front and rear boot. Regardless of its origins Porsche uses the word trunk and I believe Porsche owners should too. Leave frunk to the infidel non believer Tesla owners.
You’re new to Porsche, aren’t ya…

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
The rear luggage compartment is a boot in the UK, so we logically should call the front luggage compartment “froot”.
Err, no thanks. I’ll just call it the front, as in, “I store my charging cable in the front”.
Much more elegant.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Regarding Elon, you did say the word frunk wasn't used until he came around so there's at least the implication that he had something to do with it. Anyway, it's not a big deal one way or the other.

Although there may not be documented recognition of the word frunk it is something that has been used colloquially for a long time. As I said, I remember referring to the frunk of my 1984 Carrera and joking with the uninitiated that the car had a frunk in the front and an engine in the rear. BTW, it wasn't a term I invented, I heard it from other Porsche owners. I may be getting older, but my memory is still pretty good and I have no reason to lie about this. ;)

Bottom line, with respect to getting long-time Porsche owners to stop using the term frunk just because it doesn't appear on a parts schematic, that ship has sailed.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Then the word frunk shouldn’t be new to you.
When I see him next I will have him confirm that you all are crazy and I am sane. Show me one use of the word frunk, in reference to the front trunk before 1990. That’s it, should be easy.
Sponsored