daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sometimes it’s the small details that let you know a company is still learning about a new process or technique.

when I take my Tesla’s into server - the technicians can place the car into “service” mode - which takes the vehicle “offline” from the app - so that the owner can’t interfere with the work the technician is doing. This is a small detail but necessary because the vehicle will generate notifications and such while it’s being rebooted, worked on, or software patches are being applied. To me as a software engineer this makes total sense and seems a reasonable and necessary feature of the vehicle’s software.

from what I can tell (and I can tell a lot) Porsche has yet to realize this and my Taycan is 100% online while they have been diagnosing the vehicle for the past week - it’s odd to receive notifications for a vehicle that you know is in service.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
My service folks always put it into "Private" mode...

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's not really any different than any other car with online services, including other Porsches.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
sometimes it’s the small details that let you know a company is still learning about a new process or technique.

when I take my Tesla’s into server - the technicians can place the car into “service” mode - which takes the vehicle “offline” from the app - so that the owner can’t interfere with the work the technician is doing. This is a small detail but necessary because the vehicle will generate notifications and such while it’s being rebooted, worked on, or software patches are being applied. To me as a software engineer this makes total sense and seems a reasonable and necessary feature of the vehicle’s software.

from what I can tell (and I can tell a lot) Porsche has yet to realize this and my Taycan is 100% online while they have been diagnosing the vehicle for the past week - it’s odd to receive notifications for a vehicle that you know is in service.
Having the same experience with my 4S while it is with the dealer for PCM-related issues. They've had the car for one week now, and I have received multiple Alarm alerts from Porsche Connect!

BTW, I would say that the current version of PCM software/firmware does seem to be experiencing something akin to a memory leak. First, I started losing E-Sound, then sporadically lost WBA functions, then Bluetooth stopped working followed by the loss of the Voice Assistant. Finally, the PCM "magically" rebooted itself and all function was restored!

Short of the software team flying in from Germany, I have VERY LOW EXPECTATIONS that a fix is eminent. SIGH

Toby
Sponsored