One sure way to fool authorities (you need snow, though)

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Porsche Taycan One sure way to fool authorities (you need snow, though) DF013574-AB02-44B5-9853-EDD902339DD4
It happened to snow in Madrid today (not usual, and less with the white stuff sticking). So obviously I took out my Taycan to try it on the snow. Why not ? All-season and winter tires are for sissies ! I just decided to run errands in this very unusual natural phenomenon this part of the world. If I could drive my first car with my first drivers license at 18 in Pennsylvania after two days of snow and a 24-inch accumulation, this was easy. That was in a 1978 Chevy Caprice (rear wheel drive) with F41 suspension and very wide (low aspect ratio for then) Goodyear Wingfoots ! This car had a solid state AM/FM radio and possibly electronic ignition as sole electronics. I drove from Philly all the way to Montauk after midnight and returned the next day at the same time... There was a blizzard and they had asked people not to travel. Teenagers are so irrational ! Was one of the only passenger cars out there most of the way. Have had a 1990 M5 with only ABS as sole assist and three AMG E-class wagons since then. All of them had no way to fit chains and were fitted with high-performance Michelin summer tires and I have never gotten stuck, spun out or hit anything... hope my luck does not run out. The secret is using very silky inputs and freezIng (pun intended) any steering, braking or acceleration when there is no traction such as ice !
Porsche Taycan One sure way to fool authorities (you need snow, though) 220212A4-CAEE-4FDA-9082-8246EACB822D

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Nevada en Madrid.
How did you find the drive in your Taycan in the snow?

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nevada en Madrid.
How did you find the drive in your Taycan in the snow?
Very smooth except when you use a lot of steering when maneuvering at slow speeds where you feel the inside front tire skipping due to anti-slip effect. Same happens on our 4WD AMG A45 and E63S On slippery surfaces. The weight and width if the tires make for a very sure footed drive on the 3cms. of snow. Will report because we ahould get 10cm. more before Saturday.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Very smooth except when you use a lot of steering when maneuvering at slow speeds where you feel the inside front tire skipping due to anti-slip effect. Same happens on our 4WD AMG A45 and E63S On slippery surfaces. The weight and width if the tires make for a very sure footed drive on the 3cms. of snow. Will report because we ahould get 10cm. more before Saturday.
Snow tires help considerably. I do not have that slipping issue in the snow and mountains where I live.
Salud.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Snow tires help considerably. I do not have that slipping issue in the snow and mountains where I live.
Salud.
I took my TurboS out to do some laps drifting around my office building after we got our first snow (unplowed). I have "Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elect" performance snow tires (designed specifically for the Taycan) on 20 inch rims...

The Taycan is very stable, reliable, and has great traction in the snow. However, you have to turn off the nannies (Stability Control) to really have any fun with it.

As an AWD vehicle it has a tendency to transition pretty quickly from a RWD drift into a 4WD slide once you lose traction. You can, however, modulate the power to maintain steering while drifting if you are reasonably precise with your throttle input.

If you are concerned with traction/safety, you are in pretty good hands I think (with Stability Control ON). ...and if you are looking for a little "fun" (with Stability Control OFF), its not as "dead" as most AWD vehicles after transitioning.

...However, its also not nearly as much fun as a RWD BMW M2/M4 with studded tires on a frozen lake in Northern Sweden. ;)

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Salud.
Our Turbo S with P-Zero summer tires has that issue (Porsche calls it tire scrub) with slow U-turns or turns on wet or even dry pavement, especially with a little sand or gravel. First time it happened we thought we hit a pothole.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Our Turbo S with P-Zero summer tires has that issue (Porsche calls it tire scrub) with slow U-turns or turns on wet or even dry pavement, especially with a little sand or gravel. First time it happened we thought we hit a pothole.
@wmras just read up about this and tire temps. Thank you.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Found this:

https://news.parkplace.com/porsche/tire-scrubbing-is-it-normal-and-should-your-worry-about-it-11319

According to this it has more to do with suspension geometry than limited-slip front differentials. Maybe it is both.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
DF013574-AB02-44B5-9853-EDD902339DD4.jpeg
It happened to snow in Madrid today (not usual, and less with the white stuff sticking). So obviously I took out my Taycan to try it on the snow. Why not ? All-season and winter tires are for sissies ! I just decided to run errands in this very unusual natural phenomenon this part of the world. If I could drive my first car with my first drivers license at 18 in Pennsylvania after two days of snow and a 24-inch accumulation, this was easy. That was in a 1978 Chevy Caprice (rear wheel drive) with F41 suspension and very wide (low aspect ratio for then) Goodyear Wingfoots ! This car had a solid state AM/FM radio and possibly electronic ignition as sole electronics. I drove from Philly all the way to Montauk after midnight and returned the next day at the same time... There was a blizzard and they had asked people not to travel. Teenagers are so irrational ! Was one of the only passenger cars out there most of the way. Have had a 1990 M5 with only ABS as sole assist and three AMG E-class wagons since then. All of them had no way to fit chains and were fitted with high-performance Michelin summer tires and I have never gotten stuck, spun out or hit anything... hope my luck does not run out. The secret is using very silky inputs and freezIng (pun intended) any steering, braking or acceleration when there is no traction such as ice !
220212A4-CAEE-4FDA-9082-8246EACB822D.jpeg
Update on weather in Madrid. Finally about 50 cms. of snow in 48 hours and afterwards an artic air current with temps dropping to -10ºC at night and barely above freezing during the day. Only was able to take my AMG E63S after Tuesday with the suspension on the raised setting and again amazed by the traction with summer wheels. All with practically no slip with 30cms. of snow even on inclines, just using comfort mode for smooth application of power. Braking necessitates increased distance. I was the only non-SUV on the road that I saw.