One way in which a Hyundai EV beats a Porsche Taycan

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
unless resetting the battery also recharges the battery, I don't see why this is relevant to any discussion about the Taycan.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
unless resetting the battery also recharges the battery, I don't see why this is relevant to any discussion about the Taycan.
It is not a reset. It is jump starting the 12v battery with the larger battery if the 12v is drained. Then you can start the car and the 12v battery gets recharged.
It is very clever and easy workaround for the 12v dead battery problem that the owner can perform on their own. I hope Porsche engineers follow this forum..

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Don’t all the interior switches rely on the 12v battery to function?

why don’t they just have the main traction battery recharge the 12v battery automatically if required?
Seems it would be better to fix the 12v drain issue than put in a button to work around it!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's a hack, but a good hack - the issue is apparently bringing the big battery online is big deal from a safety and frequency point of view - the manual button "jump me now" has an advantage that you only press it when you need it - so the vehicle can sit for months and it will only get pressed once - keep the 12V "topped" off for an indefinite number of cycles while a vehicle sits unused has it's own implications that need to be considered…

I see this as a glorious hack - it would be best to simply keep the 12V "alive" - but given that seems to be impossible (it's an industry wide problem) this seems to be a reasonable work around and avoid the need to figure out "how/when" and how often to engage the big battery.

Last edited:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
They could tie it in to the Start button logic I guess? That must have to start up a bunch of different systems already.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
They could tie it in to the Start button logic I guess? That must have to start up a bunch of different systems already.
The start button would have to have a separate power system (not difficult) isolated from the 12V system - it could then instruct the traction battery to charge the 12V system, if required.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Much like a start button on a computer, a long press could mean a reset. I have no idea how to implement it, though.
Sponsored