andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Completed my first year of ownership and travelled just over 10,000 Kms (low due to lockdowns last year in Sydney).
Overall my best car ever - fast, silent, comfortable and still a stunning car to look at with many admiring looks from passers-by.
Only issues have been recalls (2 so far), one early A/C failure and the well documented software glitches.
Based on my experience, some options I still pine for, others I would pass on next time - I had no choice as it was this stock car (who decides on the options these cars have? Porsche? The dealer?) or a (then) 6 month estimated wait (now >12 months).
I would strongly recommend at least a partial wrap. I do not drive on gravel/off road but picked up several stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet. One expensive repair later I had the wrap put on and since then have been able to rub these out easily as a result of the 'self-repair' nature of the film. As a bonus you cannot even tell it is there!

4S
I think still the sweet spot of the range if money is a factor. I have the security of 4 wheel drive plus very good performance with a very reasonable balance between handling and ride.

Colour
Very happy with Crayon/Chalk but not sure I would ever pay $5000 extra for this option. Having seen several of the colours, I think metallics suit the car better with solid colours making the car look a little 'flat'. Crayon picks out the standard Porsche lettering at the back - maybe a plus or a negative depending on your view.

Sports Design Package
Perhaps slightly more attractive now that this is linked to GTS model, but overall would likely not specify this option again. I do like the black gloss to highlights on the side skirts and rear valance, but this is a very expensive option at over $10000 in Australia.

21" Wheels
Was really worried these would make the ride harsh but infact has been fine. I have the Taycan Exclusive Design in glass black with brake calipers to match. Looks amazing. A shame the 19" and 20" wheels not the best to look at generally. If ordering now would go for the RS Spyders (in black, of course)!

Performance Battery Plus
I was really certain that I would need this, but after 1 year I have never needed the 'extra' range having not taken any long road trips. I think unless you are planning longer trips, or cannot charge at home, then this would be an option you can skip. There is a lot of talk about importance for re-sale and charging infrastructure (which is poor in Australia but likely better most other countries), so a very personal decision. I would likely specify again as you can never have too much range and I am hoping to make some longer trips this year.

Panoramic roof
Again, I thought I would really want this, but as I only sit in the driver seat most times I actually do not notice it. I had looked closely at another Taycan when buying that did not have the panoramic roof and honestly did not notice this from the inside until the salesman pointed this out! I actually think it makes more of a difference to the external appearance. Again, personal choice, but there are other options I would value more highly. If ordering again would specify this myself but would not be put off a stock car without this feature.

18 way seats
Really like these seats, together with the seat warming and cooling.

Passenger display and 4 zone climate
Have never used either.

HUD
Was not totally convinced until I used the sat-nav. made it much easier to follow directions with a skeleton road map and clear arrows showing you when and where to turn. A definite yes from me.

LED Matrix in Glacier Blue
Best headlights I have had on a car, but glacier blue such a minor cosmetic difference would not have paid extra for it myself. You can see it in certain lights but really subtle.

Full leather/2 tone Crayon/Chalk/Black
Really nice quality leather and looks beautiful with the Crayon/Chalk exterior and Sport Chrono clock in white. I was worried about marks as all my previous cars have had ultra-practical black leather, but infact has not been an issue.

Active Parking Support
Never used, but have liked the rear cross traffic alert - has helped me a few times now so would specify just for this feature.

Sport Chrono
Have fiddled with it a few times out of interest, but in all honesty I do not think needed.

What do I still want?

Burmester
I have Bose and whilst this is fine, would really like something more....

Sound insulated glass
I have had no issues with sunlight/heat, but would really have liked the extra sound insulation.

Homelink
I have to use 5 different remotes for various garages - would really love to have this feature (even if it only worked on a few of them - currently have three remotes stuck on with velcro and two in the arm rest storage area - not ideal).

On a practical level, an option for an even higher ride height adjustment would be helpful for me - at the moment I always scrap the bottom of the chin spoiler when entering two of the car parks I have to use even though I am going really slowly.

Interested in others thoughts?
Sponsored

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
I agree with the Panoramic roof comment. The opening is behind the driver and so the roof is hardly noticed. I thought it would really lighten up the interior but it doesn't seem to be very noticeable.
I got the smaller battery as I only plan to charge at home and will seldom use the car for long trips. I'll worry about resale later.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I still love the panoramic roof. You just don't feel like in a cage, more like in an airplane.

Juanted

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great insights. Thanks for sharing, My 4S is scheduled to be built in September with a delivery date of October. Still toying around with options, and your post has made me re-think a few things (wheels, in particular). Thanks!

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I specifically removed the Pano root from the Premium package. I've never been fond of glass roofs especially if you can't completely hide/close them and like the look of the car better without.

I also have and really like the HUD. It is simple but I find having that information right in front of my eyes is very useful.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to specify the Matrix lights, they were removed due to supply chain issues. I do find the Porsche LED with PDLS+ are fine and now I don't have to worry if the Matrix lights will ever be "activated" on my US car, so I guess that is a plus :)

Indeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting thing about the HUD is that it’s not very visible on very sunny days. I thought I would love it but find I’d probably take a pass if given the option again. It would be better if it coordinated with CarPlay, but it’s only through the Nav system.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Completed my first year of ownership and travelled just over 10,000 Kms (low due to lockdowns last year in Sydney).
Overall my best car ever - fast, silent, comfortable and still a stunning car to look at with many admiring looks from passers-by.
Only issues have been recalls (2 so far), one early A/C failure and the well documented software glitches.
Based on my experience, some options I still pine for, others I would pass on next time - I had no choice as it was this stock car (who decides on the options these cars have? Porsche? The dealer?) or a (then) 6 month estimated wait (now >12 months).
I would strongly recommend at least a partial wrap. I do not drive on gravel/off road but picked up several stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet. One expensive repair later I had the wrap put on and since then have been able to rub these out easily as a result of the 'self-repair' nature of the film. As a bonus you cannot even tell it is there!

4S
I think still the sweet spot of the range if money is a factor. I have the security of 4 wheel drive plus very good performance with a very reasonable balance between handling and ride.

Colour
Very happy with Crayon/Chalk but not sure I would ever pay $5000 extra for this option. Having seen several of the colours, I think metallics suit the car better with solid colours making the car look a little 'flat'. Crayon picks out the standard Porsche lettering at the back - maybe a plus or a negative depending on your view.

Sports Design Package
Perhaps slightly more attractive now that this is linked to GTS model, but overall would likely not specify this option again. I do like the black gloss to highlights on the side skirts and rear valance, but this is a very expensive option at over $10000 in Australia.

21" Wheels
Was really worried these would make the ride harsh but infact has been fine. I have the Taycan Exclusive Design in glass black with brake calipers to match. Looks amazing. A shame the 19" and 20" wheels not the best to look at generally. If ordering now would go for the RS Spyders (in black, of course)!

Performance Battery Plus
I was really certain that I would need this, but after 1 year I have never needed the 'extra' range having not taken any long road trips. I think unless you are planning longer trips, or cannot charge at home, then this would be an option you can skip. There is a lot of talk about importance for re-sale and charging infrastructure (which is poor in Australia but likely better most other countries), so a very personal decision. I would likely specify again as you can never have too much range and I am hoping to make some longer trips this year.

Panoramic roof
Again, I thought I would really want this, but as I only sit in the driver seat most times I actually do not notice it. I had looked closely at another Taycan when buying that did not have the panoramic roof and honestly did not notice this from the inside until the salesman pointed this out! I actually think it makes more of a difference to the external appearance. Again, personal choice, but there are other options I would value more highly. If ordering again would specify this myself but would not be put off a stock car without this feature.

18 way seats
Really like these seats, together with the seat warming and cooling.

Passenger display and 4 zone climate
Have never used either.

HUD
Was not totally convinced until I used the sat-nav. made it much easier to follow directions with a skeleton road map and clear arrows showing you when and where to turn. A definite yes from me.

LED Matrix in Glacier Blue
Best headlights I have had on a car, but glacier blue such a minor cosmetic difference would not have paid extra for it myself. You can see it in certain lights but really subtle.

Full leather/2 tone Crayon/Chalk/Black
Really nice quality leather and looks beautiful with the Crayon/Chalk exterior and Sport Chrono clock in white. I was worried about marks as all my previous cars have had ultra-practical black leather, but infact has not been an issue.

Active Parking Support
Never used, but have liked the rear cross traffic alert - has helped me a few times now so would specify just for this feature.

Sport Chrono
Have fiddled with it a few times out of interest, but in all honesty I do not think needed.

What do I still want?

Burmester
I have Bose and whilst this is fine, would really like something more....

Sound insulated glass
I have had no issues with sunlight/heat, but would really have liked the extra sound insulation.

Homelink
I have to use 5 different remotes for various garages - would really love to have this feature (even if it only worked on a few of them - currently have three remotes stuck on with velcro and two in the arm rest storage area - not ideal).

On a practical level, an option for an even higher ride height adjustment would be helpful for me - at the moment I always scrap the bottom of the chin spoiler when entering two of the car parks I have to use even though I am going really slowly.

Interested in others thoughts?
Nice write up thanks! I have a RWD with the standard battery and was really worried that I did not order the larger battery. I had a hard time spending so much for so little extra range. Now that I have had my car since March 22 I have no worries. I am getting 260 miles on a full charge with no trouble (only charge to 100% for long trips).
As to the roof, its standard in the US. Your right that the driver really gains no benefit but I love the look of it from inside as it makes the car feel so open when sitting in the back seat or looking up from the from seats.

Many happy miles!

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I specifically removed the Pano root from the Premium package. I've never been fond of glass roofs especially if you can't completely hide/close them and like the look of the car better without.

I also have and really like the HUD. It is simple but I find having that information right in front of my eyes is very useful.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to specify the Matrix lights, they were removed due to supply chain issues. I do find the Porsche LED with PDLS+ are fine and now I don't have to worry if the Matrix lights will ever be "activated" on my US car, so I guess that is a plus :)
Is the matrix feature is the feature where it shines on the street signs to make it brighter as you come up to them?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Interesting thing about the HUD is that it’s not very visible on very sunny days.
That’s not my experience with the HUD at all. I live in Texas and it’s bright here most days. My HUD is plenty bright during daytime. Maybe try turning up the brightness in settings?

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is the matrix feature is the feature where it shines on the street signs to make it brighter as you come up to them?
The Matrix feature can vary the output to "black-out" approaching cars, etc. The PDLS+ highlights around corners, auto-dims, changes brightness based on speed, etc. The Matrix system is much more complex. DOT recently approved Matrix technology for the US. However, so far as I know, the Porsche matrix headlights in the US still don't offer any advantage over the LED Lights with PDLS+, they function as a single unit.

There are "hopes" that when Porsche does support Matrix functionality in the US that functionality will be backported to cars that have the Matrix lights, but no one knows for sure.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
That’s not my experience with the HUD at all. I live in Texas and it’s bright here most days. My HUD is plenty bright during daytime. Maybe try turning up the brightness in settings?
My experience with the HUD mirrors yours. Very bright and sunny here in Arizona most of the time and I've had zero issues seeing the HUD.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Matrix feature can vary the output to "black-out" approaching cars, etc. The PDLS+ highlights around corners, auto-dims, changes brightness based on speed, etc. The Matrix system is much more complex. DOT recently approved Matrix technology for the US. However, so far as I know, the Porsche matrix headlights in the US still don't offer any advantage over the LED Lights with PDLS+, they function as a single unit.

There are "hopes" that when Porsche does support Matrix functionality in the US that functionality will be backported to cars that have the Matrix lights, but no one knows for sure.
So which feature shines on the street signs as you approach it? Does yours do that? You can clearly see the sign super bright then once you almost pass it, it quickly becomes dim again. I was always thought mine does that because it has the Matrix option.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
So which feature shines on the street signs as you approach it? Does yours do that? You can clearly see the sign super bright then once you almost pass it, it quickly becomes dim again. I was always thought mine does that because it has the Matrix option.
I'm not sure either specifically highlights street signs. However, the Matrix lights also use PDLS+ in the same fashion as the LED with PDLS+ so they do things like brighten/widen the beam when approaching intersections, light up around corners, etc. Here is a good explanation of the PDLS+ system.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm not sure either specifically highlights street signs. However, the Matrix lights also use PDLS+ in the same fashion as the LED with PDLS+ so they do things like brighten/widen the beam when approaching intersections, light up around corners, etc. Here is a good explanation of the PDLS+ system.
I am familiar with PDLS+, but I don't think what I am seeing with the street signs is because of it. Since you're probably did not notice it on yours and yours don't have the matrix active then I think what I am seeing is part of it. If you want, I can record it and show you to make it clearer what I am seeing.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am familiar with PDLS+, but I don't think what I am seeing with the street signs is because of it. Since you're probably did not notice it on yours and yours don't have the matrix active then I think what I am seeing is part of it. If you want, I can record it and show you to make it clearer what I am seeing.
I'm pretty sure it isn't a matrix-only feature since Porsche has stated that the matrix functionality isn't available in the US (all of the matrix LEDs work as a single unit). However, I haven't noticed any issues seeing signs at night and have noticed that the lights seem to function much better than any of my other vehicles. I'll pay more attention on my next night drive. Lights with PDLS+ do vary in angle and intensity depending on the situation.
Sponsored