Only getting maximum 20kW at 50kW charging stations suddenly

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
I’ve owned my 4S since last year and through cold and hot weather I’ve been able to charge at around 41kW at 50kW charging stations here in London.

For the past three weeks however regardless of which 50kW charging station I use I can’t get the speed to go above 20kW, which is really slow for my needs.

Has anyone else experienced a drop like this? Any tips on what I could do to bring this back to normal?

Current daily temperature here is about 20 degrees Celsius. Battery always seems to be a good temperature (25) when I arrive to charge.
Sponsored

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve owned my 4S since last year and through cold and hot weather I’ve been able to charge at around 41kW at 50kW charging stations here in London.

For the past three weeks however regardless of which 50kW charging station I use I can’t get the speed to go above 20kW, which is really slow for my needs.

Has anyone else experienced a drop like this? Any tips on what I could do to bring this back to normal?

Current daily temperature here is about 20 degrees Celsius. Battery always seems to be a good temperature (25) when I arrive to charge.
What was the state of charge when you started those charging sessions ?
The charging "slows down" when battery near full.
And were there many other cars also charging ?
Could be a limit of the charging station in total charging capacity.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’d say in 99% cases when people have slow charging speeds it’s cold battery, very high SoC or bad charger.

OP
OP
legataycan

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
What was the state of charge when you started those charging sessions ?
The charging "slows down" when battery near full.
And were there many other cars also charging ?
Could be a limit of the charging station in total charging capacity.
I’ve tried on a few different charging stations and each time I was the only car there. I’m seeing slow speeds all the way from 50% up to 85%. Battery is always warm.

This isn’t something I even thought about up to a few weeks ago, everything just worked as expected, even with a cold(ish) battery.

I’m going to drive a bit further out today and try charging on a completely different 50kW network, I’ll see how that goes.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’ve tried on a few different charging stations and each time I was the only car there. I’m seeing slow speeds all the way from 50% up to 85%. Battery is always warm.

This isn’t something I even thought about up to a few weeks ago, everything just worked as expected, even with a cold(ish) battery.

I’m going to drive a bit further out today and try charging on a completely different 50kW network, I’ll see how that goes.
I’m new to this so forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, but try setting the charger as the destination in your Nav. I believe this will activate the battery preheat function and you should charge faster. It worked for me when I charged at an ionity station last weekend. My batteries were a toasty 35 degrees when I got there. That’s some heat here on the coast in the chilly North East of England.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m new to this so forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion, but try setting the charger as the destination in your Nav. I believe this will activate the battery preheat function and you should charge faster. It worked for me when I charged at an ionity station last weekend. My batteries were a toasty 35 degrees when I got there. That’s some heat here on the coast in the chilly North East of England.
This is the opposite of dumb. Very often the no.1 solution to slow charging speeds.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've never preheated before arrival at a 50kW charger and live in North East Scotland were it is 16C - 18C at best this summer and get around 49kWh from a 45% SOC and battery temp of around 17C.

So not convinced of all the theory / maths as we inevitably end up comparing apples with pears. That said the data quoted by @benver is aligned to what I would normally expect to see.

It could be a charger / supply limitation (shared pool of supply during concurrent charging?) issue on a given network throttling back for some reason or indeed it could be the car itself deciding to hold back.

Unlikely to be the explanation from a 50KW charger but check the following option isn't set (normally applies for 350kW chargers should you happen upon one):

Porsche Taycan Only getting maximum 20kW at 50kW charging stations suddenly 1625832833608
Sponsored