Or should I buy a 911?

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Hi all. Loving reading your forum and the wealth of information. I have been in a Macan for the last 4 years and feel it is time for a change. 1 son has mostly left home and can drive himself, so less need for ferrying around. I have always fancied a 911 and was looking into this possibility when I realised the potential tax breaks of buying a Taycan through a company. So I have been looking at whether this could be a better car for me. Obviously posting on a Taycan forum will give different results to posting on a 911 forum, but I would be interested in any comments from people who have owned both. It certainly looks like a fantastic car, albeit not yet quite the refined ownership experience that we might get in a few years.

Clearly the Taycan is bigger, probably more practical on a day to day basis and I would be able to charge at home over night. My wife has a Land Rover which we can use when more space is needed. The possible issues as I see it are the size of the Taycan, charging on long journeys (although researching zap map, I think this would probably not be a big issue) and the slightly crazy suggested service costs to do very little to the car (something ridiculous like £2500 for 2 services when there isn’t even an oil change). Issues with a 911 would be lack of space when I do need to fit in more people and the possible problem of buying a very expensive ICE car as petrol gets phased out (residual values and fuel availability - although these might not be a problem, I don’t know).

So I know that they aren’t really directly comparable cars - but I can only really buy one of them! Any comments or advice based on your experiences would be welcome. Oh, and I have booked a test drive in about 10 days - back to back 911 C4S and Taycan 4S. Should be fun!
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi all. Loving reading your forum and the wealth of information. I have been in a Macan for the last 4 years and feel it is time for a change. 1 son has mostly left home and can drive himself, so less need for ferrying around. I have always fancied a 911 and was looking into this possibility when I realised the potential tax breaks of buying a Taycan through a company. So I have been looking at whether this could be a better car for me. Obviously posting on a Taycan forum will give different results to posting on a 911 forum, but I would be interested in any comments from people who have owned both. It certainly looks like a fantastic car, albeit not yet quite the refined ownership experience that we might get in a few years.

Clearly the Taycan is bigger, probably more practical on a day to day basis and I would be able to charge at home over night. My wife has a Land Rover which we can use when more space is needed. The possible issues as I see it are the size of the Taycan, charging on long journeys (although researching zap map, I think this would probably not be a big issue) and the slightly crazy suggested service costs to do very little to the car (something ridiculous like £2500 for 2 services when there isn’t even an oil change). Issues with a 911 would be lack of space when I do need to fit in more people and the possible problem of buying a very expensive ICE car as petrol gets phased out (residual values and fuel availability - although these might not be a problem, I don’t know).

So I know that they aren’t really directly comparable cars - but I can only really buy one of them! Any comments or advice based on your experiences would be welcome. Oh, and I have booked a test drive in about 10 days - back to back 911 C4S and Taycan 4S. Should be fun!
it all depends on if you want to make the leap into the EV world. both are great cars and you cannot make a bad choice between the two

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
I might be able to provide a little insight here as I have a RWD on order and my wife has just bought a 911!

We test drove a Taycan 4S late last year and were deliberating between that and a Cayenne Coupe Hybrid. We decided in the end to order a Taycan RWD back in March, which we have just heard has finally gone into production yesterday ?

The 911 is a Carrera S (992). I am absolutely blown away by it! I had, up until last year, not been much of a Porsche fan, but a 911 has been my wife’s dream car for some time now.

What can I say?

It’s exhilarating, fast, fun and turns heads like mad (if that’s your kind of thing!). I just love to drive it (my wife has been very accommodating!).

Having only test driven a Taycan, it’s a very different experience. The Taycan is obviously much more spacious and as it will now be mainly me driving it, a good all rounder. I am very much looking forward to it and we are now firmly a Porsche household!

What am I saying? Get both essentially! In all seriousness, we never expected we would be having both a 911 and a Taycan, but in the end we just thought screw it, we both work hard and we are going to treat ourselves.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
What am I saying? Get both essentially! In all seriousness, we never expected we would be having both a 911 and a Taycan, but in the end we just thought screw it, we both work hard and we are going to treat ourselves.
Well I can try running that fantastic piece of advice past my wife, but I am not sure she quite shares the enthusiasm for cars that your wife clearly has!

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
Well I can try running that fantastic piece of advice past my wife, but I am not sure she quite shares the enthusiasm for cars that your wife clearly has!
?

Here’s a little tip, test drive the Taycan together and order it. Next find a friend with a 911 and ask them to pop over with it. She will have by then fallen in love with both (this is how it played out)!

We were going to get a Merc SUV, but delivery delays did us a favour. Neither of us were really looking forward to it, knowing we had a Taycan coming, which we both liked. I know that sounds facetious, but it’s just how we felt. We both wanted to look forward to driving either car, with none being seen as a ‘booby prize’.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have had my Taycan for a little over a year and have driven the 911 and been in a 911 a bunch over the years. As others have mentioned on other threads, the 911 is far more nimble due to its smaller size and much lower weight. On the other hand, the Taycan has ridiculous acceleration in real world situations and is very practical. Most of my miles on my Taycan are from going skiing and from driving to kids soccer tournaments. While in theory you could go those places with a 911, it would likely be a tight squeeze. The Taycan is practical while still being very fun, but it does not have a small, lithely feel.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think everyone should, if feasible, own a 911 at some point. Doesn't have to be a 992, or 991.

But there are also quite a few 911 owners who have made the jump to a Taycan and are driving their 911 a lot less, and/or are selling their 911. I'm one of them, and it's not for "practicality" (I don't need back seats or a trunk; also didn't want a 911 + Tesla). One is not better than another, they're different. Just depends on your lifestyle and how it will be used.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would recommend both.

I suggest a nicely specced base Taycan for EVness and modern digital technology. As a vinyl enthusiast though, I would also go analogue and buy a super clean 1996-1997 993 air-cooled coupé for the more visceral true sports car experience.

Best of both Porsches and best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think everyone should, if feasible, own a 911 at some point. Doesn't have to be a 992, or 991.

But there are also quite a few 911 owners who have made the jump to a Taycan and are driving their 911 a lot less, and/or are selling their 911. I'm one of them, and it's not for "practicality" (I don't need back seats or a trunk; also didn't want a 911 + Tesla). One is not better than another, they're different. Just depends on your lifestyle and how it will be used.
Which 911 are you selling?

RobQ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 911, Tycan CT
Country flag
We owned a 991.2 a Macan and a backdated 911 ST tribute car. For practicle stuff we used the Macan and for the fun stuff I tended to take the old 911 most of the time over the 991.2. We traded the Macan and the 991.2 in for a Taycan CT. Seems the best combi, fast, practical and for fun stuff the old 911. Seems to be the perfect mix.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I would definitely buy the 911 if it in anyway meets your desires/needs. Anyone that likes Porsche should own a 911 at some point in their life. I have owned a Cayenne S, a Cayman S, a Boxster S Cab and a 911S Cab. By far, the 911 was the most fun. For me, the 911 was a wonderful car for a time, however as I have gotten older with knee, hip and back problems I discovered that it was much harder to get in and out of than I wanted to deal with. As a result the 911 was sold and now I am waiting on a Taycan. I do want to add that if you think the Taycan service's look expensive then make sure you understand the dealer fees for the 6 year service on your 911 (mine was in excess of $1800).

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m not sure I understand the question because the question goes way beyond the Taycan and 911.

Do you want an all-electric 4-door sports sedan, or a 2-door sports car with an internal combustion engine?

This is more of a lifestyle question that no one can answer except you. Weigh the pros and cons of each option. Once you have that answer, you’ll be able to easily decide between the Taycan and 911. A much more difficult question would be something like “Taycan or Audi e-Tron GT?” or “911 Turbo or 911 GT3?” ?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I've owned several 911's, the first an '84 3.2 Carrera and the last a 2014 GT3 that I sold to buy the Taycan. I have no regrets over that decision.

That said, I think the key sentence in your post is "I've always fancied a 911". Great sentiment. Every Porschephile should own a 911 at some point in their Porsche career, whether it's a new 992 (which are fabulous) or one of the previous iterations which are special each in their own way.

If you are truly on the fence, go with your heart and get a 911. The Taycan will be there later when you are ready to commit to an exceptional EV. My $.02.

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have both - the Taycan for day to day use and the 911 for fun/recreation. I wouldn't be able to choose between them - they are both great....but very different.
Sponsored