Ordering a new Taycan from out of state?

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello,

I'm in California and am considering custom ordering a 2021 Taycan from out of state, due to a significant discount (2x local) being offered on the order; does anyone have experience with this, maybe specifically from within California? Are there any gotchas or concerns, things to be aware of? Thank you.
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Back in 1999 I ordered a 911 from Champion Porsche in Florida to take advantage of a considerable discount. The process wasn't particularly difficult and everything went fairly smoothly. In my case, since I didn't want to travel across country, I had Champion arrange with a California dealership to accept delivery of the car. As it turned out they had an agreement with a Porsche store in SoCal so I had to rent a car and drive down to get it. There was supposed to be a courtesy fee to be collected by the delivering dealership but for whatever reason they never charged me. I then had to handle all of the registration and fee issues myself through the DMV here in California.

Some of the rules around paying taxes, registration and even delivery from Porsche of an out of state car may have changed since then. There is also the issue of dealing with a salesperson and dealership with whom you have no relationship other than via a phone call or email. I had no problems, but I've read horror stories about long range transactions going sour. Of course, they can also go bad with the dealership "next door".

There is some added hassle involved so you will just have to weigh that against your potential savings.

Last edited:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
In the past year I have purchased two cars (including the Taycan) from out of state dealers with whom I have had long standing relationships and had the cars directly registered in my current home state. I was on the waiting list for the Taycan for 5 years so when the allocation became available in 2019 it was with my old dealer. For the other vehicle, I tried to establish a new relationship with the local Maserati dealer, but the price he quoted me was $250/month higher than my existing Maserati dealer offered for the same car. The service department on the other hand was happy to have me as a customer since they will continue to make money regardless of where I purchased the car. I don't know what it is like in California, but for me it was straight forward. The dealers did not tack on any additional fees to register the cars out of state. I had to drive with temporary in-transit license plates until the permanent tags were issued by my home state DMV. I have had no issues with the local dealers with regard to service appointments or loaner cars.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is actually the first car I've purchased IN state (and the last Porsche I'll ever buy from a WA dealer). Out of state purchases are easy and straightforward.

Always double check they aren't charging you extra fees, there are none other than shipping. Also get an independent quote for covered shipping and don't let them overcharge you for it.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I ordered my Taycan from an out of state dealer with whom I had never done business. They were in the city where my brother lives and they had an allocation for a Turbo. I'm lucky - this dealership (Euroclassics in Midlothian, VA near Richmond) is staffed by true Porsche enthusiasts and I'm thankful to have lucked into getting to know them. They were able to register the car for me and collect NC highway use tax.

That may be possible from a dealer in a neighboring state to CA, but once you get past the neighboring state threshold it may be slightly harder.

I would accept the harder work though to send a message to your dealer that for a car in this price range (and built in commission in this price range), anything less than absolutely stellar customer service is unacceptable. They may have enough demand they won't negotiate on price but they shouldn't be gouging you either. If they are, they don't deserve your business.

OP
OP

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks, everyone-- this is very helpful! It sounds like there aren't many reasons not to go out of state for the purchase (it will be delivered locally). I would prefer to keep things local, but my experience with the local dealership is like others have had- not really feeling like I'm getting the best service/experience for such an expensive car, and as I said, the out of state dealer discount is 2x what the local dealer is willing to extend.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@vmporsche, if you are near Los Angeles, in lieu of haveing it delivered to the local dealer, you can take delivery at the Porsche Experience Center in LA. It is well worth the $500 and will help cover any delivery cost from the out of state dealer to California.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@vmporsche, if you are near Los Angeles, in lieu of haveing it delivered to the local dealer, you can take delivery at the Porsche Experience Center in LA. It is well worth the $500 and will help cover any delivery cost from the out of state dealer to California.
This is 1000000000% what I would do. I've heard nothing but great things about the experience.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
That is what I and doing - getting an LA PEC delivery. You can also negotiate to get the CA state EV rebate ($1500) matched too. It is currently only available to CA dealers.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Yes PEC LA is the way to go. I bought my 2021 Taycan in New Jersey in December and they shipped to WA state for free. I bought a 992 turbo S in Phili and they wouldnot ship the car for free but instead included the PEC (which is $1000 for the 911 turbo S). I did it last week and it was AMAZING. I would likely do PEC for every car I could. I cant recall the last car I even purchased in WA state. Always search and get a great deal out fo state and its very easy.

Porsche Taycan Ordering a new Taycan from out of state? 78F9DE1E-5D68-49DF-B407-3D977F581AE4

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I have dealt with the same out of state dealer and Porsche Ambassador for years. I too am having an Oregon dealer help get it delivered to PECATL on March 24. I wouldn't hesitate to work with out of state dealers as long as they are straight forward and work with you.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Good news! Thank you for the correction. Perhaps the info I was referencing in the link I posted is out of date or is for a different program.
Just make sure your dealership participates in the cleanfuelrewards program.. Mine wasn't listed so I contacted my porsche rep and he had the dealership enrolled into the program.
Sponsored