WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I drove 716 miles over 14 hours from Boston to Durham NC yesterday with my wife in our first long distance drive in our Taycan. We had a clear day and really had a pretty good experience. The Taycan is an awesome long distance driver – super comfortable and fun. The Bose sounds great and we used some internet stations that worked well. Our Taycan is a MY20 with 20” all-season’s and the premium and performance packages.

We drove mostly in Range mode sprinkled in with some occasional spirited driving. We drove conservatively in the beginning and as we got more comfortable with the drive and consumption our speed crept up to be at least at the flow of traffic. The guess-o-meter is conservative. We consistently saw the projection of our arrival SOC creep up by 5 – 10% during the drive between charging. We mostly stayed above 20% SOC before charging but next time I’d probably go a little lower since the charging rate is faster at low SOC and the guess-o-meter was conservative and the EA150 chargers always worked for us. On a few occasions when we were concerned with range we turned on “eco plus” on the climate system and that actually made a noticeable difference.

We used Wemct’s recommended road trip tips (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...aycan-tips-suggestions.4072/page-2#post-56030) where we had Google maps running on an iphone and used the Porsche nav system to navigate to the next charger. We used ABRP to plan the initial route and charging stops but didn’t really need it during the trip. We used Plugshare and the EA app to confirm that the charging stops were available and to have backup plans – but because the 150’s always worked at our stops we didn’t need use any of our backups. We stayed plugged in until the rate dropped below 90kw.

We had OK luck at the EA chargers – on the one hand we were always able to connect to the 150’s, building my confidence that we can charge. On the other, we had no luck at all with the 350s. It would have really been nice to get 350 – the charging stops were getting tiring towards the end. We found that 15min went by quickly just getting out and stretching but 30 felt kind of long. The 350’s would have gotten us going in more like 15min than the 30min that we averaged. I unsuccessfully tried a variety of payment methods to get the first 350 to work (Charging NA, EA app, credit card) but after that we didn’t have the patience to keep doing that at each stop. I am going to experiment at a local 350 to see if the EA app would work so maybe I can get them to work on the return trip. Any tips on using 350 would be appreciated.

Total stats:
716 miles
Average speed 54mph
31.5 kwh/100mi

The weather was about 30F in the beginning in Boston and was about 55F in Durham when we arrived. It was clear and partly sunny during the entire trip.

Left Boston at 98% and preconditioned (battery was 70F)

Stop 1 - 28 min
Stratford Square, CT
Tried two 350 chargers but neither connected. Moved to 150 which worked fine with Porsche Charging America app. Charged at 189kw for a short time
Arrived at 33%. Charged to 88%
(Saw a new red Mustang EV plugged in at this stop)

Stop 2 - 30 min
Wawa store
New Castle, DE
Tried one 350 charger but did not connect. Tried using the Charging America app, the EA app and a credit card but none of them worked. Moved to 150 which worked fine with Porsche Charging America app. Actually charged at 175kw for a short time.
Arrived at 23%. Charged to 76%

Stop 3 - 25 min
Walmart 2438
Stafford, VA
Connected successfully to a 350 charger but it only charged at 150. Used the Porsche Charging America app
Arrived at 23%. Charged to 78%

Stop 4 - 25 min
Walmart 2256
Henderson, NC
Connected successfully to a 350 charger but it only charged at 64kw. Unplugged and tried again and still got only 65kw. Moved to a 150 which worked fine. Used the Porsche Charging America app
Arrived at 15%. Charged to 56%

Arrived in Durham with 41% at 101mi of range. There's not a destination charger where I'm staying so I'll be using a relatively local EA a few times while I'm here.

Starting:
Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1615730184083

Ending
Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1615730372859

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I drove 716 miles over 14 hours from Boston to Durham NC yesterday with my wife in our first long distance drive in our Taycan. We had a clear day and really had a pretty good experience. The Taycan is an awesome long distance driver – super comfortable and fun. The Bose sounds great and we used some internet stations that worked well. Our Taycan is a MY20 with 20” all-season’s and the premium and performance packages.

We drove mostly in Range mode sprinkled in with some occasional spirited driving. We drove conservatively in the beginning and as we got more comfortable with the drive and consumption our speed crept up to be at least at the flow of traffic. The guess-o-meter is conservative. We consistently saw the projection of our arrival SOC creep up by 5 – 10% during the drive between charging. We mostly stayed above 20% SOC before charging but next time I’d probably go a little lower since the charging rate is faster at low SOC and the guess-o-meter was conservative and the EA150 chargers always worked for us. On a few occasions when we were concerned with range we turned on “eco plus” on the climate system and that actually made a noticeable difference.

We used Wemct’s recommended road trip tips (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...aycan-tips-suggestions.4072/page-2#post-56030) where we had Google maps running on an iphone and used the Porsche nav system to navigate to the next charger. We used ABRP to plan the initial route and charging stops but didn’t really need it during the trip. We used Plugshare and the EA app to confirm that the charging stops were available and to have backup plans – but because the 150’s always worked at our stops we didn’t need use any of our backups. We stayed plugged in until the rate dropped below 90kw.

We had OK luck at the EA chargers – on the one hand we were always able to connect to the 150’s, building my confidence that we can charge. On the other, we had no luck at all with the 350s. It would have really been nice to get 350 – the charging stops were getting tiring towards the end. We found that 15min went by quickly just getting out and stretching but 30 felt kind of long. The 350’s would have gotten us going in more like 15min than the 30min that we averaged. I unsuccessfully tried a variety of payment methods to get the first 350 to work (Charging NA, EA app, credit card) but after that we didn’t have the patience to keep doing that at each stop. I am going to experiment at a local 350 to see if the EA app would work so maybe I can get them to work on the return trip. Any tips on using 350 would be appreciated.

Total stats:
716 miles
Average speed 54mph
31.5 kwh/100mi

The weather was about 30F in the beginning in Boston and was about 55F in Durham when we arrived. It was clear and partly sunny during the entire trip.

Stop 1 - 28 min
Stratford Square, CT
Tried two 350 chargers but neither connected. Moved to 150 which worked fine with Porsche Charging America app. Charged at 189kw for a short time

Stop 2 - 30 min
Wawa store
New Castle, DE
Tried one 350 charger but did not connect. Tried using the Charging America app, the EA app and a credit card but none of them worked. Moved to 150 which worked fine with Porsche Charging America app. Actually charged at 175kw for a short time.

Stop 3 - 25 min
Walmart 2438
Stafford, VA
Connected successfully to a 350 charger but it only charged at 150. Used the Porsche Charging America app

Stop 4 - 25 min
Walmart 2256
Henderson, NC
Connected successfully to a 350 charger but it only charged at 64kw. Unplugged and tried again and still got only 65kw. Moved to a 150 which worked fine. Used the Porsche Charging America app

Arrived in Durham with 41% at 101mi of range. There's not a destination charger where I'm staying so I'll be using a relatively local EA a few times while I'm here.

Starting:
1615730184083.png

Ending
1615730372859.png
Great info., thanks for the details on your trip. Surprised the 150kW EA chargers got well over those 150kW charge speeds? I hope the 350kW chargers become more reliable in the future, and more commonly available.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Total stats:
716 miles
Average speed 54mph
31.5 kwh/100mi

Stop 1 - 28 min
Stratford Square, CT

Stop 2 - 30 min
Wawa store
New Castle, DE

Stop 3 - 25 min
Walmart 2438
Stafford, VA

Stop 4 - 25 min
Walmart 2256
Henderson, NC

Starting:
1615730184083.png

Ending
1615730372859.png
what a great trip report - thanks for sharing - 315 wh/mile is great efficiency and as temps warm up you can expect better.

bummer about EA - but glad the 150‘s work for you - my experience has been EA is equal opportunity fail - when they don’t work both the 350/150’s don’t work - or they all work…so EA remain interesting.

I wish you well on your return trip.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
One tip when in Range: raise the ride height one click and the car is less likely to bottom out when load and on bumpy highways (95 I'm looking at you)
And if you stop at a Wawa I'll take a few tastykakes!

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
One tip when in Range: raise the ride height one click and the car is less likely to bottom out when load and on bumpy highways (95 I'm looking at you)
And if you stop at a Wawa I'll take a few tastykakes!
That’s a great tip! Didn’t know that was possible in range mode.

AJDiBianca

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne, Taycan 4S
Country flag

Total stats:
716 miles
Average speed 54mph
31.5 kwh/100mi

Stop 1 - 28 min
Stratford Square, CT

Stop 2 - 30 min
Wawa store
New Castle, DE

Stop 3 - 25 min
Walmart 2438
Stafford, VA

Stop 4 - 25 min
Walmart 2256
Henderson, NC

Starting:
1615730184083.png

Ending
1615730372859.png
As far as 350 kW vs 150 kW charging, at least on my trip from NC to MS using Electrify America, there were no glitches with the 350 kW stations. On another trip, I did find ONE station where all chargers were "offline" causing me to have to drive 90 miles to the next one along my route (made it with 4% remaining).

Next time you're charging at 150 kW station because the 350 kW station doesn't work, call the toll free number on the charging station and see if they can help figure out the problem - whether the 350 kW charger is off-line or it's "operator error" - after all, you've have time to call while charging "slowly."

And just because it's labeled 350kW does not imply that you will get 350 kW or even a high sustained rate. Typically your "real world" charging rate will average 150-200 kW even at the 350 kW stations and taper off as you get above 80% SOC. Remember, 350 kW is the charger's max capability, but the Taycan is controlling the actual current draw from the station.

Here are some "wishful thinking" graphs that show charging rate if everything (battery temp, etc.) are ideal (actual rates may vary :)

Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1616435717307

Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1616435747299

Dumb question (sorry, my tombstone is going to say "He was only trying to help"). You did note that SOME stations are labeled 150 kW while others are labeled 350 kW, right? My experience is that there are more 150 kW max stations than 350 kW stations at the EA locations I've been to.

Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1616435609496

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
As far as 350 kW vs 150 kW charging, at least on my trip from NC to MS using Electrify America, there were no glitches with the 350 kW stations. On another trip, I did find ONE station where all chargers were "offline" causing me to have to drive 90 miles to the next one along my route (made it with 4% remaining).

Next time you're charging at 150 kW station because the 350 kW station doesn't work, call the toll free number on the charging station and see if they can help figure out the problem - whether the 350 kW charger is off-line or it's "operator error" - after all, you've have time to call while charging "slowly."

And just because it's labeled 350kW does not imply that you will get 350 kW or even a high sustained rate. Typically your "real world" charging rate will average 150-200 kW even at the 350 kW stations and taper off as you get above 80% SOC. Remember, 350 kW is the charger's max capability, but the Taycan is controlling the actual current draw from the station.

Here are some "wishful thinking" graphs that show charging rate if everything (battery temp, etc.) are ideal (actual rates may vary :)

1616435717307.png

1616435747299.png

Dumb question (sorry, my tombstone is going to say "He was only trying to help"). You did note that SOME stations are labeled 150 kW while others are labeled 350 kW, right? My experience is that there are more 150 kW max stations than 350 kW stations at the EA locations I've been to.

1616435609496.png
Thanks!
I had two 350 chargers on my return trip where the charge rate was slow (one was 26kw and the other was 64kw). While I was in Durham, I also charged at a local EA station and the 350 charger delivered only ~60kw rate. In each of these cases, I stopped the charge and moved to a 150. Actually at the Durham location I had some time so I tried another 350 and got something closer to 100. I also called the EA agent and they told me the handshake was poor - for one of the sessions they said the handshake was 75kw. In my experience, when the 350 charger starts out below 100kw it doesn't improve and I just moved then to a 150 where it seems like I've consistently gotten a rate close to 150kw.

On my return trip, I also was able to successfully use two 350 chargers. In each case the rate was about 250, which was great! And look at that - my charge time was not far off from the graph you found showing 5% - 80% in 20 min.
Porsche Taycan Our first Taycan roadtrip - 716 miles over 14 hours 1616441380592

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...14-hours-—-experience-and-range-results.4323/

Regarding this: "Dumb question (sorry, my tombstone is going to say "He was only trying to help"). You did note that SOME stations are labeled 150 kW while others are labeled 350 kW, right? My experience is that there are more 150 kW max stations than 350 kW stations at the EA locations I've been to."
>>Yes, there are far more 150s than 350s. At the large EA sites, there were something like eight 150 chargers and two 350 chargers (each of which has two plugs).

AVLinGA

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2018 Panamara Hybrid
Country flag

Total stats:
716 miles
Average speed 54mph
31.5 kwh/100mi

Stop 1 - 28 min
Stratford Square, CT

Stop 2 - 30 min
Wawa store
New Castle, DE

Stop 3 - 25 min
Walmart 2438
Stafford, VA

Stop 4 - 25 min
Walmart 2256
Henderson, NC

Starting:
1615730184083.png

Ending
1615730372859.png

Thanks much for the well documented trip summary. I have a 2021 4S with the 93.5kW battery, I have not had a problem with the 350kW EA stations, when one didn't work I called the 800# and they had me use another station, worked fine and the customer service was excellent. The 150kW stations were also in operation and using them worked well every time.
Looking forward to my first long trip, Atlanta, GA to Kiawah, SC; any suggestions?
thanks again.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Based on the comments here, it sounds like there's occasional disparity between what the car requests and what is supplied. Seems like it'd be nice to be able to get the car to tell us what power level the car is requesting, what the SE is capable of supplying and what the SE is currently supplying.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag