our Taycan’s don’t have one of these parts…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/crucial-part-shared-fiat-panda-190200573.html

but it is in Cayenne’s, 911 Turbos, GT3’s and the 918 Spyder…

anyways some fun/light reading for this weekend.

but there is no question EV’s are simpler as much of the ICE motor supply chain is shared parts that are no longer necessary for an EV.
just picture the 100’s if not 1000’s of historical “parts” I’m talking the really small various bits/bob’s that have evolved over the years and are endemic to the ICE industry and shared across manufacturers that are simply going to “go away” as ICE production ramps down…it mind boggling really - a whole supply chain is going to be ramped down if the EV transition actually happens…once you think about it this is meaningful change and a lot of people will resist because it means their stuff “goes away”…labor unions are already realizing EV’s mean less labor to assemble (Ford estimates 30% less labor for an EV) - that’s significant.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
just picture the 100’s if not 1000’s of historical “parts” I’m talking the really small various bits/bob’s that have evolved over the years and are endemic to the ICE industry and shared across manufacturers that are simply going to “go away” as ICE production ramps down…it mind boggling really - a whole supply chain is going to be ramped down if the EV transition actually happens…once you think about it this is meaningful change and a lot of people will resist because it means their stuff “goes away”…labor unions are already realizing EV’s mean less labor to assemble (Ford estimates 30% less labor for an EV) - that’s significant.
Indeed, but it is even more impactful if one looks at this as part of the overall shift from fossil fuels-based energy generation to sustainable energy. It is inevitable, but a generation of wrong-skilled workers risks getting crushed in the transition.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I don't think that many will be crushed in the transition, simply because its a transition. In my lifetime, the following have occurred:
  1. Toll takers - replaced by EZ Pass
  2. Plasters - replaced by sheet rock
  3. Gas station attendants - replaced by automation self serve
  4. Glass containers - Replaced by plastic and cartons
  5. Mom and pop stores - replaced by the large store chain
  6. Hardware stores - being replaced by the big box stores
  7. Landline phones - replaced my cell phones
  8. Beepers - replaced by cell phones
  9. Camera's and film - mostly replaced by cell phones
  10. Comptometer operators - replaced by the calculator
I could go on and on, but the point is made. Industrial societies always advance and do so through transition mostly. Sometimes, there is a real disruption but that is usually the result of governmental policy. Workers that no longer fit will grow old and retire. New workers enter the new industries and receive entry training.
True: new workers will enter new industries. Not all of the old ones will be able to re-skill or retire comfortably, though. It is the logic of progress.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag