Overall length of Porsche Mobile Connect Plus (Standard US Charger)?

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Been searching here on the forum and looking online but have not be able to get an exact overall length for the standard and included US charger which comes with the Taycan.

I am installing a JuiceBox 40 at my primary residence but am trying to gauge the distance from my newly installed 14-50 outlet, from the wall socket to the Taycan which could be parked outside of the garage door, on the driveway, or inside the garage from time to time.

For US cars, and speaking specifically of the included Porsche Mobile Charger Plus units, what is the overall length, including the charging cable (which I believe is just under 15’), the power supply cable (maybe 1’) and the body of the Porsche Charger itself (maybe another additional 1’)? I am trying to understand if the overall legenth would be right around 17’ from the 14-50 outlet to the end of the charging cable where it would connect to the charging port on the Taycan. Sorry to be so specific but the genius electrician installed my outlet on the inside edge of my garage wall, and ever extra foot is likely going to count to make it to the car.

Again, have the JuiceBox 40 with a 25’ cable for at home, but was hoping to take advantage the standard charger while at the beach house in the summer. If not, may have to purchase a second JuiceBox for the summer home. (First world problems - I Know!)

Here’s a photo of where he positioned the outlet. Why not in the center of the wall? I guess I should have placed an X marks the spot since he did the install without me present at the house today.

Thanks for the help!

Porsche Taycan Overall length of Porsche Mobile Connect Plus (Standard US Charger)? B64B584C-B432-481F-BBC3-4B76BCD4C989
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
or just a NEMA 14-50 extension cable.

OP
OP

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the tips on the extension cables. But, having just spent $2,000.00 on professional electrician services, I really don’t want to rig this up, and extension cables give me worries about fire. I was hoping to confirm the overall length of the standard PMC+ Charger with hopes it might still reach. If the distance is too far, I would invest in a second JuiceBox. And it goes without saying that I don’t want to splice a brand new 100’ home run electrical cable.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the tips on the extension cables. But, having just spent $2,000.00 on professional electrician services, I really don’t want to rig this up, and extension cables give me worries about fire. I was hoping to confirm the overall length of the standard PMC+ Charger with hopes it might still reach. If the distance is too far, I would invest in a second JuiceBox. And it goes without saying that I don’t want to splice a brand new 100’ home run electrical cable.
Standard is 8' car to vehicle cable unless 24' specified. Supply cable 2.95'.

Porsche Taycan Overall length of Porsche Mobile Connect Plus (Standard US Charger)? Screenshot_20220805-074657_OneDrive

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

OP
OP

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That seems to be the part number for the optional Mobile Charger Connect model. I think it’s different for the standard Plus Charger - no?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I believe the cabling will be the same regardless. The only difference will be the power output.

I thought I had the manual for the PMC+ but can't locate it.

I'm reasonably confident that the PMC, PMC+ & PMCC share the same cable lengths.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I believe the cabling will be the same regardless. The only difference will be the power output.

I thought I had the manual for the PMC+ but can't locate it.

I'm reasonably confident that the PMC, PMC+ & PMCC share the same cable lengths.
Apologies, ignore my last. Details from PMC+ manual below.

Porsche Taycan Overall length of Porsche Mobile Connect Plus (Standard US Charger)? Screenshot_20220805-081349_OneDrive

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I had a similar question / dilemma last year. This thread and this thread were helpful.

Acknowledging that you are reluctant to get an extension cable, I’ll say that I ended up going with a 25 feet long JLONG J-1772 cable. My rationale was that it would be reusable in more situations compared to a NEMA 14-50 extension. When visiting family - allows my PMC+ unit to remain inside near the wall outlet while the extension cable runs under the garage door and out to the car and the elements. The JLONG is a high quality 40A USA-made cable. You are right to worry about fire risk - don’t consider a cheaply made no-name thing.

Last thought to share - you will have significantly less than the entire end-to-end length of the PMC+ pigtail+unit+cable. Depending on the orientation of your NEMA 14-50 socket, you might find the PMC+ hanging in an awkward orientation, and with the weight of the unit, the drop/run/lift to your car could lower the effective length by multiple feet.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a similar question / dilemma last year. This thread and this thread were helpful.

Last thought to share - you will have significantly less than the entire end-to-end length of the PMC+ pigtail+unit+cable. Depending on the orientation of your NEMA 14-50 socket, you might find the PMC+ hanging in an awkward orientation, and with the weight of the unit, the drop/run/lift to your car could lower the effective length by multiple feet.
@NJ-Taycan Pay attention to the quoted comment by @satchurator. If you really need 17 feet from the receptacle to the car, you will not have that much using the PMC+ once it is plugged into the wall receptacle and positioned so that its NEMA 14-50 end is in the receptacle.

OP
OP

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@NJ-Taycan Pay attention to the quoted comment by @satchurator. If you really need 17 feet from the receptacle to the car, you will not have that much using the PMC+ once it is plugged into the wall receptacle and positioned so that its NEMA 14-50 end is in the receptacle.
Thank you both for the additional feedback. And looking at the screenshots of the manual it seems we have confirmed that the overall length of the standard charger will be just under 17 feet. Agree 100% that orientation can impact the overall run length. It looks like they have the ground pin on the outlet located towards the floor, would this be the proper orientation for the standard charger to plug-in and directly point down without having to do an up-and-down reversal? If that’s the case I will have to check the actual distance as that would help me.

on the extension cables, if I do one, it would be on the charger side and not the electricity input side. Something in my mind makes me think that’s safer, not sure if that makes any sense. With that said it seems that JLONG is out of stock and back ordered on the extension cables and if I get one logic tells me shorter is always safer. By the time I spent $200 on an extension am I just better adding a charging station and have additional technology from the JuiceBox?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As option, contact electrician(s) to see cost of relocating the NEMA 14-50 plug a couple feet closer to the garage door - if junction box is possible/permitted? Reconsider purchasing different EVSE?

And, the round (not flat) ground pin on the NEMA 14-50 plug on the PMC+ is at the end of the plug opposite the cable connected to that plug. If your receptacle has ground pin at floor side, then the PMC+ cable will be pointed up when it is plugged in.

See first two sentences above ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good stuff. Asking the electrician to flip the outlet so the negative ground pin faces UP! Also asking about the possibility of a junction box to shift it 2-3 feet closer to the garage door.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hopefully the NEMA 14-50 receptacle that was installed is the beefier Hubbell outlet that is recommended on this forum and other sites for EVSE use. I had to request my electrician to use it.
Sponsored