glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Great question!! I downloaded the app and got it all set up. Than I had to call the Porsche Connect folks who tied my call to electrify America to get the rebate for the cost of the charge that hits your cc. When using their stations I only use the app to launch the charge as the machines are finicky
Can you pass along what number you called? Sounds like that's the way to use EA. Thank you!

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Great question!! I downloaded the app and got it all set up. Than I had to call the Porsche Connect folks who tied my call to electrify America to get the rebate for the cost of the charge that hits your cc. When using their stations I only use the app to launch the charge as the machines are finicky
So are you saying that your credit card gets charged for every charge station visit? then the charged amount is credited back to your credit card account each time?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Okay @glennkreisel and @Cpoarchy, as I was also curious I went ahead and called Electrify America (833-632-2778) spoke with their service team. The service person told me that I would need to install and use the Porsche "Charging" app which would need to be setup by the dealer or you can call 800-PORSCHE (800-767-7243) which is open Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM and Sat 8AM-?PM Easter Time and ask for the "Porsche Charging Service Team".

You will then have to use the Porsche Charging app to activate the free charging which is limited to 30min with at least 1hr between activations.
You you could then either use the Electrify America app and pop off above that 30 minutes if needed for a long section I would assume or that the Porsche Charging app would let you go beyond 30 minutes and it would be charged to a credit card on file.

I have had the Porsche Charging app download for some months now just waiting login information. :rolleyes: But awaiting delivery first. ;)

See more EU info here, suspect US will be similar:
https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-charging-service--taycan-/p/taycan_charging_EU_v1
Found link to the US information too in "Charging by Porsche" app description.
https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-charging-service--taycan-/p/taycan_charging_US_v1

For DC charging session the first 30 minutes are free of charge. For AC charging, the first 60 minutes are free of charge.

Once the charge is completed, you will have a grace period of 10 minutes to relocate the vehicle. In case of a non-full battery you can choose to stop the charge or resume charging, for which, in the latter case, further charging costs will apply. If 60 minutes has not elapsed between two separate charging sessions, the two sessions will be deemed, and charged as, a single charging session.

Last edited:

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks so much good to know.
Hello Mmconough,

Given your experience with the power charge door now - if you had it over would you get that or would you just have the pop open door?

I am debating for my build - both for the way it looks (which I think I like but it is less of a "clean" look) and the function. I expect like others the kid in me thinks it is cool. But then I think - I never missed having a power door opener for the gas door on my ICE cars...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello Mmconough,

Given your experience with the power charge door now - if you had it over would you get that or would you just have the pop open door?

I am debating for my build - both for the way it looks (which I think I like but it is less of a "clean" look) and the function. I expect like others the kid in me thinks it is cool. But then I think - I never missed having a power door opener for the gas door on my ICE cars...
@Mmcdonough I saw in a YouTube post about the door vents when you have the power Charge Port door being blanked. I thought I saw it was just a screen. Can you please verify on your car. Maybe shine a flash light from the wheel well to see if they are still functional? I thought the power Charge Port mechanical stuff would all be above the port, not below.

Thanks.

@BruceF I would seriously consider the power Charge Port in climates with snow as it has special functionality to open. One negative is that you cannot "leave it open" like one would do when leaving their car waiting for a shared charger to free up and someone else to plug you in. This is customary for free Charging like at a workplace.

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Mmcdonough I saw in a YouTube post about the door vents when you have the power Charge Port door being blanked. I thought I saw it was just a screen. Can you please verify on your car. Maybe shine a flash light from the wheel well to see if they are still functional? I thought the power Charge Port mechanical stuff would all be above the port, not below.

Thanks.

@BruceF I would seriously consider the power Charge Port in climates with snow as it has special functionality to open. One negative is that you cannot "leave it open" like one would do when leaving their car waiting for a shared charger to free up and someone else to plug you in. This is customary for free Charging like at a workplace.
Thanks @Mmcdonough - I had not heard that about not being able to leave the power charge port open - good to know.

-Bruce

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks @Mmcdonough - I had not heard that about not being able to leave the power charge port open - good to know.

-Bruce
Yes it times out shortly and auto closes. It can only be opened with the finger trick when the car is unlocked.

I was fortunate to have some discussions a while back with the North America Porsche Taycan Product rep back when I was configuring my car.

runjdm

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, coming soon
Country flag
Great little write up, thanks for sharing. Quick question, as I visited my first Electrify America station recently - did you have issues identifying the faster chargers, or were they clearly identified and you were able to just drive straight up to a 350 right away?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
Okay @glennkreisel and @Cpoarchy, as I was also curious I went ahead and called Electrify America (833-632-2778) spoke with their service team. The service person told me that I would need to install and use the Porsche "Charging" app which would need to be setup by the dealer or you can call 800-PORSCHE (800-767-7243) which is open Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM and Sat 8AM-?PM Easter Time and ask for the "Porsche Charging Service Team".

You will then have to use the Porsche Charging app to activate the free charging which is limited to 30min with at least 1hr between activations.
You you could then either use the Electrify America app and pop off above that 30 minutes if needed for a long section I would assume or that the Porsche Charging app would let you go beyond 30 minutes and it would be charged to a credit card on file.

I have had the Porsche Charging app download for some months now just waiting login information. :rolleyes: But awaiting delivery first. ;)

See more EU info here, suspect US will be similar:
https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-charging-service--taycan-/p/taycan_charging_EU_v1
Found link to the US information too in "Charging by Porsche" app description.
https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-charging-service--taycan-/p/taycan_charging_US_v1
Here's what I've done so far regarding setting up the free charging (once you have an established Porsche ID):
The Porsche Connect app on Android seems a bit sketchy so I logged into the My Porsche section of the website where there's an option to "purchase" the Taycan Inclusive Plan for zero dollars. I did that.
Then I downloaded the "Charging NA" app from the Google store and logged into that with my same Porsche credentials. Upon logging in it tells my I have a valid subscription and shows the charging stations on the map.
I haven't tested charging at a station but it looks pretty positive and I don't think you actually need to setup a separate Electrify America account unless you plan on charging beyond the 30 minute increments.

Stay tuned and anyone please let me know if I've gotten anything wrong. Porsche is still building this out and it did take a couple of weeks after receiving the car before I had a valid ID. I was using the car in guest mode for that time - not fun as it won't save any settings.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here's what I've done so far regarding setting up the free charging (once you have an established Porsche ID):
The Porsche Connect app on Android seems a bit sketchy so I logged into the My Porsche section of the website where there's an option to "purchase" the Taycan Inclusive Plan for zero dollars. I did that.
Then I downloaded the "Charging NA" app from the Google store and logged into that with my same Porsche credentials. Upon logging in it tells my I have a valid subscription and shows the charging stations on the map.
I haven't tested charging at a station but it looks pretty positive and I don't think you actually need to setup a separate Electrify America account unless you plan on charging beyond the 30 minute increments.

Stay tuned and anyone please let me know if I've gotten anything wrong. Porsche is still building this out and it did take a couple of weeks after receiving the car before I had a valid ID. I was using the car in guest mode for that time - not fun as it won't save any settings.
"Charging NA" was the name of the App I got also. I had forgotten.

One addition, I agree that you should not "need" an Electrify America account (though the basic plan is free so you may want to just apply anyway). From what I read, even going over the free 30min you can use the Porsche account and it will charge to your credit card on file. This would be the best way as you get an excellent price of $0.25/min it appears vs about $0.69/min even with the Plus plan.

Do be aware that there is a 10min grace period when charging completed to come unplug. If you fail to do that there is a $0.40/min fee to prevent plug-hogs.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Can't wait to try it out. Here's an electify america station with 4 350W chargers. I can't believe this is about two miles from where I live:

Porsche Taycan Owner’s Notes and Tips From 800 Mile Road Trip in Taycan Turbo S 1586986899271

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can't wait to try it out. Here's an electify america station with 4 350W chargers. I can't believe this is about two miles from where I live:

1586986899271.jpeg
@Vim Schrotnock it's nice having a fast charger near the house in case you come back from a long trip and need a quick turnaround. However, as long as you can charge at home I would suggest that you do usually. DCFC charging puts a strain on the battery and affects it's capacity if done frequently. I am lucky enough to have workplace Level 2 charging so I use that except for road trips.