epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Ok so I suffered all the way back today in Range mode. I drove mostly on highways in Range mode, which limits you to 70 mph.. I was driving 65-70 most of the way. There was not preconditioning, temp was 30, the car was outside all day and I had heat set to 72 (and seat heat and wheel heat on). Same driving style. I drove a total of 75 miles and battery went from 85 to 50 for this trip. So 35% for 75 miles=214 mile for 100%->0. This is actually pretty good for temperature that ranged from 26-30 and with cabin heat. This lines up with the cars self reported 37.9 KWHr/100 miles (221 mile range for 84 KWHr capacity).

Keep in mind this is the “larger” battery. I will now STOP driving in range mode, I mean come on! :)

Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns D9252467-A26E-4D0D-8656-EA0F42956BB8
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey @epirali, did you ever try ECO+ HVAC mode? Just curious is it effective in that cold?
Also can you confirm that your build does have the Heat Pump included, it does now show as Standard in USA, but I really think it was o=not there in Oct/Nov time. I had looked.
Thanks again for torturing yourself like this, please goto at least Normal mode.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not sure how i would check that it has heat pump, any ideas? Don’t worry I have been whipping around in Sports Plus to compensate, have a proper headache as I write this...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure how i would check that it has heat pump, any ideas? Don’t worry I have been whipping around in Sports Plus to compensate, have a proper headache as I write this...
I would assume that it would show on window sticker or such. Where all options and standard equipment are listed.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
All US cars have a heat pump as standard. Thanks to LFCdan who found it on UK site - it is burried deep....

When you save your configuration on the US site and choose to print rather than just generate Porsche code you will get a pdf document. Scroll toward the end of the document and you will see under E-mobility heat pump.

Voila!
Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns 1579604537068

Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns 1579604537068

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for info, my window sticker does not explicitly list that.

I really need to sit down and actually read the manual! The drive modes were confusing me (configure one changes another), so I played around with it. In range mode there is a setting you can configure for max speed. This is useful. Although anything over 65 is probably not efficient I still have times where I do need to do 75 for a period of time so its good to be able to increase it. But I like how the car accelerates to the max speed and smoothly keeps you there. I haven’t tried to see what it will do if I mash my foot down, I am guessing it will assume its urgent and will override the limit.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@epirali that is what I heard in several reviews is that in range mode you can simply hit accelerator hard and it will drop out of mode and turn into a Porsche.
Please do test though.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will do and I would expect that anyway. But I do not plan to be in range mode for a while now, it HURT!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But I do not plan to be in range mode for a while now, it HURT!
Before you give up on that, can you try:
- Drive to a more temperate climate, say Florida.
- Drive at 52mph for 150 miles.
- Only drive downhill.
- Don't put on AC or the radio and don't even use electricity to charge your phone
- Reduce the weight in the car: no unnecessary clothing, underwear only, barefoot. no coffee or drinks in the car, take out registration paperwork from glovebox. Remove back seats is possible.

Hopefully the results will make people who will use it as a DD and have a 20 mile commute comfortable about the car.

thanks!
/s

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair range anxiety is a rite of passage for EV ownership, we all have gone through it. I know I did, I know every other owner. But as soon as you drive for a while, realize you never need the range you thought, and that you can plan it all goes away. I remember driving my Nissan Leaf with 70 mile range to turtle mode to finally get over the fear. I even did it recently with the Jaguar simply because I was curious how it would behave.

What I am trying to say to everyone who is a bit nervous is this: welcome! We all have been there. Try really measuring your daily drive needs. If you are not really needing more than 160-170 miles then don't worry about it, even in the worst conditions you are good to go. You may need to preheat, or not drive 90. Be reasonable, don't say "I want it all and I want it now." If you are throwing your car around, driving 90+ mph, going uphill, its very cold out, and combination, adjust your mileage.

If you live in California you will not be facing many days like we do in East Coast. In temperate weather your range may hit 250,

But if you are trying to live in the edge of the limit of range daily don't do it. You will not be happy. Or do what we did, we have 2 chargers at work and are about to add a 3rd one.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be fair range anxiety is a rite of passage for EV ownership, we all have gone through it. I know I did, I know every other owner.
Well stated, I was just kidding.

Range anxiety is an odd thing. When my kid visits, I liked driving their Bolt - but I found that if the range left was "only" 120 miles, I had a bit of anxiety despite the fact that we had a charger at home (installed for when they visit) and I wouldn't drive it more than 20 miles or so to run errands. But dipping below 100 miles was an odd feeling.

All very irrational and something that took time to get used to despite the fact that my ICE car occasionally reminds me that I need to get gas soon. LOL.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Reg, you need to relax a little. I recall a non-stop trip from Bay Area to San Luis Obispo in my 2018 Bolt. ~200 miles with 238 EPA but freeway speeds kill Bolts (as many EVs) so 200 is doable depending on temperature and how much over speed limit :)
Anyway it was looking close as I was 20mi out. I got to town ~5% and picked up my son with thoughts of charging at a garage near the restaurant, now the range meter just said Battery Low, Charge Soon! Turned out all chargers were in use, we ate and headed back to his school and the range meter went from blinking orange to solid orange. I made it to a ChargePoint charger in a garage there and checked on my OBD reader and saw my SoC at 0.7%. Not that I recommend that, nor have I ever gotten near that again.
Note my wife was not with me at the time, or this would NOT have happened. :rolleyes:

Bolt never went into limp mode. Great little EV, just a rough suspension and I get many complaints for folks in the back seat. I suspect the Taycan to solve all these problems and MANY more....

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Reg, you need to relax a little....

Note my wife was not with me at the time, or this would NOT have happened. :rolleyes:
I have a standing joke with my wife when she asks if we have enough gas for a trip up to San Fran or Monterrey. "Pretty sure we have enough for a round trip"...then I go to the gas station first to fill up. ;)

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I remember being a passenger in a friend's EV and it said the range was about 10 miles. We had a roundtrip event about 4 miles away. I remember feeling the range anxiety that people above have mentioned. He told me to relax. We were going to be able make it back to the garage (where we were) and then plug in. He was the calm guy. And it wasn't my car. LOL
Sponsored