PAG_J1: Can You Provide Any Hints/Clues about Taycan 4/4S and Base Model?

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
PAG_J1,

First, congratulations to you and your colleagues on the successful launch of the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S. In spite of some naysayers here and elsewhere, I am of the opinion that the production car is close to the original Mission e concept. Is it everything we all hoped for? No. Should we be disappointed that everything hoped for was not available on Day One? Certainly no! Thus, congratulations are certainly in order to the PAG team for delivering a pretty cool car in its initial iteration.

With that said, is there any information that might be made available about the downline versions of the Taycan? Whether those might be a Taycan 4S or a Taycan 4 or even the base-level Taycan? With this subject in mind, please allow me to pose several questions>

1. Is there a plan to introduce these downline versions within the next 3-6 months? Can you elaborate on timelines for the introductions of downline Taycan models?
  2. Can you elaborate on what the distinctions will be as a buyer moves "down" the trim level to a Taycan 4/4S or even the base Taycan model?
  3. Will the 2-speed differential be available as an option for the downline models?
  4. What power output and recharge capabilities should be expected for downline models?
  5. Will there be specific options available for wheels (I love that the Mission e Concept wheels made it to production!)?
  6. Will the second screen on the interior be an option?

As before, most of us recognize that there is a limited amount of information and data that you might be allowed to supply. Any information in these areas (and other questions that will surely arise on this subject) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for all you provided leading up to yesterday's launch. I, for one, am very appreciative of your willingness to close some information gaps and put some rumors to rest.

Thank you very much and once again, congratulations!!

Toby Pennycuff
Sponsored

Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
PAG_J1,

First, congratulations to you and your colleagues on the successful launch of the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S. In spite of some naysayers here and elsewhere, I am of the opinion that the production car is close to the original Mission e concept. Is it everything we all hoped for? No. Should we be disappointed that everything hoped for was not available on Day One? Certainly no! Thus, congratulations are certainly in order to the PAG team for delivering a pretty cool car in its initial iteration.

With that said, is there any information that might be made available about the downline versions of the Taycan? Whether those might be a Taycan 4S or a Taycan 4 or even the base-level Taycan? With this subject in mind, please allow me to pose several questions>

1. Is there a plan to introduce these downline versions within the next 3-6 months? Can you elaborate on timelines for the introductions of downline Taycan models?
  2. Can you elaborate on what the distinctions will be as a buyer moves "down" the trim level to a Taycan 4/4S or even the base Taycan model?
  3. Will the 2-speed differential be available as an option for the downline models?
  4. What power output and recharge capabilities should be expected for downline models?
  5. Will there be specific options available for wheels (I love that the Mission e Concept wheels made it to production!)?

As before, most of us recognize that there is a limited amount of information and data that you might be allowed to supply. Any information in these areas (and other questions that will surely arise on this subject) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for all you provided leading up to yesterday's launch. I, for one, am very appreciative of your willingness to close some information gaps and put some rumors to rest.

Toby Pennycuff
Toby,

Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
Toby,
Very well thought out questions that most of us would like to have answers for before we decide on the model that fits our individual needs and budgets. I have had my deposit on the car since the beginning and was told it was going to start in the 75-85k $ range which seemed low to me and was prepared to spend up to $ 125k. When I configured the Turbo with options, I climbed up to 175+ so fast it made my head swim. Agree with most that even with our deposits, we should be patient and decide on the car after all of the facts are known about other models.

Passifier

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
Toby,
Very well thought out questions that most of us would like to have answers for before we decide on the model that fits our individual needs and budgets. I have had my deposit on the car since the beginning and was told it was going to start in the 75-85k $ range which seemed low to me and was prepared to spend up to $ 125k. When I configured the Turbo with options, I climbed up to 175+ so fast it made my head swim. Agree with most that even with our deposits, we should be patient and decide on the car after all of the facts are known about other models.

Passifier
Read an article yesterday that said the 4/4S would have an 80kwH battery. Will try and post it.

If true....even worse range?

OP
OP

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Read an article yesterday that said the 4/4S would have an 80kwH battery. Will try and post it.

This is why I wanted to start this thread. I would like to learn as much as possible about the components of these "downline" models. While I don't think we'll learn much around actual pricing, I am hopeful that we can garner more details about battery size, differential, etc....

I do hope others will add thoughtful questions, and most especially, I hope PAG_J1 will continue to supply us with good information!

Toby

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag

I read that the 4S will have the larger battery and the base will have a smaller battery. I will see if i can find the article. Range will be dependent on the motors, inverter, tire size and software controlling the power.....If the battery is the 93kwH batter, then I am expecting/hoping range will stay the same for the 4S, or better than the Turbo models. But then the performance may not be so hot. If its horrible.....Then I will wait for the electric Macan and consider the Tesla Roadster, rather than the Tesla Y and Taycan 4S combo

Last edited:

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I hope the 4S will have the 93KwH battery as the 80 KwH in the Taycan would be a non starter. Definitely not enough range even as a city car. I hope they give battery options, otherwise I wait a year or 2, take the HUGE depreciation on the Turbo and buy one for about $100k.
My EV does 70 miles per charge best case and I find it perfectly usable for commuting and errands (basically anything other than long trips).

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Perfect
My EV does 70 miles per charge best case and I find it perfectly usable for commuting and errands (basically anything other than long trips).
perfect! Now we’ve made a 125k “errands” car! But it’s a Porsche! I still think the emperor is naked.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I hope the 4S will have the 93KwH battery as the 80 KwH in the Taycan would be a non starter. Definitely not enough range even as a city car. I hope they give battery options, otherwise I wait a year or 2, take the HUGE depreciation on the Turbo and buy one for about $100k.
I think I'm simply going to lease. I've never done it before, but I can't stomach paying $175k for a car. Even if it's the first Porsche EV. I don't collect cars. I drive them.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I think I'm simply going to lease. I've never done it before, but I can't stomach paying $175k for a car. Even if it's the first Porsche EV. I don't collect cars. I drive them.
When you find it difficult to get a leasing company to agree to lease the car to you or your faced with 55% residual values after three years, you’ll know what the professionals think the depreciation of this car is going to be. The monthly payments will approach 3K

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
I spoke with my dealer and they are "guesstimating" that the Base and S models will appear on the configurator in February or March of next year with actual delivery sometime in May. A long wait if that is actually the case. My dealer has been pretty accurate with information as he told me 6 months ago that the first cars that would come out would be the very high end vehicles. No indication of pricing.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Mine too.
No problem whatsoever.
I do two to four trips of 400km per year, no problem either.
"Max range" is so overrated...
It suits my trips for 361 of 365 days a year.
Do you think I care when I have to recharge my car in those 4 of 365 days a year?
I've saved €2000 on fuel, no, I really don't care at all.
Most people don't drive 400km/day at all.
The car isn't the problem, it's "you". ;)

PAG_J1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No information
Country flag
PAG_J1,

Toby Pennycuff
Hello Toby,
thanks for your congralution on the world premier of the Taycan.
I'll try to answer your Questions to the best of my ability.

First of all, the following informations aren't official confirmed. So don't regard them as a fixed info.

Upcooming different Taycan Sedan versions:
-Taycan (Base) confirmed
-Taycan 4S confirmed
-Taycan GT(S) not confirmed: I've heared rumors that Porsche is working on a Taycan GT Version. But I don't know anything about it (could be a GTS or another Version). Will be introduced after 2021 as there are nearly no relevant informations right now.

1.) Introduction of the downline versions are planned for Q4 2019 or if there are any delays for Q1 2020. No Information about the GT model.
2.) Base won't have AWD, less Standard Setting (don't have Details here). Charging rates will be the same throughout all models (I've heard 800V will be Standard).
3.) Don't have exact informations, but I expect every Version will get the 2 gear Transmission.
4.) I've heard they'll use the 800V Technology on every model, so therefore the charging rates will be the same (If they downgrade to 400V Technology at 150 kW you can recharge the battery in About 30min).
5.) You can order the exclusive design wheels in different Colours through the exclusive manufacture. For other informations look at my older Posts at the Taycan Wheel Topic.
6.) Yes, will be optional for every model.

Hope These answers will help you.

Kind regards
Sponsored