r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
As others have said heat isn't the issue for me; it is the sunlight bothering me mid day. I got a shade from Heat Shield that I leave in place. Also if you want to use a roof rack system you have to get the panoramic roof if that is a requirement for you. When I ordered my car last year the panoramic roof was mandatory.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
As is, not recommended in hot climate.
I wish that there was a dislike button for ill informed responses like this. I live in Florida and have never had issues with pano roofs. the roofs are heavily tinted and do not let anymore heat into the car than would be present in a car with a solid roof that was parked in direct sunlight.

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
I think "ill informed" is harsh. The poster's comment was a response to another post. It's all about personal preference. I see people in convertibles mid day with tops down in FL, a personal choice. Some are more sensitive to sun than others. I thought I might feel claustrophobic with the steel roof, but do not. The steel roof also has the advantage of its contour, which is missing from the glass roof. My advice, try both and see what you like.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think "ill informed" is harsh. The poster's comment was a response to another post. It's all about personal preference. I see people in convertibles mid day with tops down in FL, a personal choice. Some are more sensitive to sun than others. I thought I might feel claustrophobic with the steel roof, but do not. The steel roof also has the advantage of its contour, which is missing from the glass roof. My advice, try both and see what you like.
the point being made that a car with an enclosed roof will get very hot when parked in the sun, the pano roof doesn't add to the car getting heated

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I wish that there was a dislike button for ill informed responses like this. I live in Florida and have never had issues with pano roofs. the roofs are heavily tinted and do not let anymore heat into the car than would be present in a car with a solid roof that was parked in direct sunlight.
Facts with temp measurements: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/which-extras-you-wouldnt-order-again.4487/post-62036

I compare my Taycan to my Audi A7. The Audi A7 got less hot inside, and the AC could cool down the cabin in less then a minute easily.

The total power an EV has available is already quite limited, the AC drains quite a bit extra, you can see that on your consumption. When the cabin is super hot, the car needs to cool the battery and the cabin. My Taycan barely keeps up.

My verdict stands: Pano roof as it is made for the Taycan is not recommended for hot climates.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Facts with temp measurements: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/which-extras-you-wouldnt-order-again.4487/post-62036

I compare my Taycan to my Audi A7. The Audi A7 got less hot inside, and the AC could cool down the cabin in less then a minute easily.

The total power an EV has available is already quite limited, the AC drains quite a bit extra, you can see that on your consumption. When the cabin is super hot, the car needs to cool the battery and the cabin. My Taycan barely keeps up.

My verdict stands: Pano roof as it is made for the Taycan is not recommended for hot climates.
we will need to agree to disagree. my experiences with pano roofs are nothing like yours

OP
OP
SoWhatNowWhat

SoWhatNowWhat

First Name
Carlanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Macan S
Country flag
Has anyone with the heads up display used film on the windshield? Does it interfere?
I can’t answer that question but I can say that my Porsche sales person said that if you were Polaroid sunglasses you can’t see the heads up display properly.

OP
OP
SoWhatNowWhat

SoWhatNowWhat

First Name
Carlanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Macan S
Country flag
I’m in SC. It’s just starting to get warm up, so I can’t weigh in on the extra cabin heat yet, but the bright sun shining through has me putting on a hat from time to time.
Yes I actually am more worried about the sun shining in my eyes than the heat. Especially when I realized there’s no retractable screen like there is on my Macan S .

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I can’t answer that question but I can say that my Porsche sales person said that if you were Polaroid sunglasses you can’t see the heads up display properly.
can confirm, polarized sun glasses and the HUD display are incompatible.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes I actually am more worried about the sun shining in my eyes than the heat. Especially when I realized there’s no retractable screen like there is on my Macan S .
unless you drive looking up towards the roof you shouldn't have any sort of a sun in your eyes from the pano roof.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the context of reducing the demand on the battery for heating and cooling of the cabin and personal health.

With a glass roof you will get heating form 3 sources. Visible light rays, UV rays and IR rays. The shorter the wavelength the higher the energy. From lowest to highest energy is IR with the longer wavelength, then visible light, then UV with the shortest wavelength.

IR will generate the highest heat load, and UV the highest risk of skin cancer.

With a metal roof, none of those but you will have convective heating as the roof heats up.

Just as the Pano roof will reduce the effect of visible light rays to provide a little heat reduction and privacy. It's effect on the UV and IR part is not clear. But probably not much on the IR side.

With a glass roof everyone should go for the UV protection. As to the IR protection, depends on how much sun you get, especially direct sun and your personal protection.

I know on the coldest day of the year with the sun shining, the cabin does heat up.

Take a look at the products from 3M and Llumar.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
unless you drive looking up towards the roof you shouldn't have any sort of a sun in your eyes from the pano roof.
I agree. I have not had any issues with the sun in my eyes from the pano roof. In all of my other cars with glass roofs, I always pull the shade closed because I cannot stand the light hitting my eyes. It not the case with the Taycan. The pano roof makes the cabin much more airy and creates a nice contrast with my Mamba Green paint and my aftermarket tinted windows.

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
I live in Thailand where 40c+ in summer and 30c+ in winter ( with sub 30c around 5-7 days a year) and my Taycan has pano roof.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Polarized. Polaroid sunglasses would be amusing. This is true, I tested it before I ordered the HUD. I have since ordered non-polarized sun glasses for the car.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In the context of reducing the demand on the battery for heating and cooling of the cabin and personal health.

With a glass roof you will get heating form 3 sources. Visible light rays, UV rays and IR rays. The shorter the wavelength the higher the energy. From lowest to highest energy is IR with the longer wavelength, then visible light, then UV with the shortest wavelength.

IR will generate the highest heat load, and UV the highest risk of skin cancer.

With a metal roof, none of those but you will have convective heating as the roof heats up.

Just as the Pano roof will reduce the effect of visible light rays to provide a little heat reduction and privacy. It's effect on the UV and IR part is not clear. But probably not much on the IR side.

With a glass roof everyone should go for the UV protection. As to the IR protection, depends on how much sun you get, especially direct sun and your personal protection.

I know on the coldest day of the year with the sun shining, the cabin does heat up.

Take a look at the products from 3M and Llumar.
adding additional tinting is redundant. the pano roofs are already well tinted to block the bad IR and UV rays.
Sponsored