JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
adding additional tinting is redundant. the pano roofs are already well tinted to block the bad IR and UV rays.
Can you refer to a test to confirm that the standard roof does this? Would save me getting a film applied.

Tint is not the same as IR and UV protection.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Can you refer to a test to confirm that the standard roof does this? Would save me getting a film applied.

Tint is not the same as IR and UV protection.
oh my, this has been covered ad nauseam on the TMC site and the taycan roof is very similar if not identical to the tesla pano roof, right down to the reddish coloring when it is covered in rain.

here's a link to one of many threads discussing the topic on that forum
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tint-the-glass-pano-roof.188356/#post-4566606

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
oh my, this has been covered ad nauseam on the TMC site and the taycan roof is very similar if not identical to the tesla pano roof, right down to the reddish coloring when it is covered in rain.

here's a link to one of many threads discussing the topic on that forum
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tint-the-glass-pano-roof.188356/#post-4566606
Sorry, but this link does NOT contradict anything I referred to and provided no additional factual evidence that IR is blocked. And in a couple of responses supported that additional IR protection was useful. And what does reddish coloring in rain have to do with IR protection?

The questions remain
Does the Pano from the factory substantially block UV? (my guess, probably)
Does the Pano from the factory substantially block IR? (unknown)

It's a battery powered car and anything that reduces the load on the battery can be helpful to increased range.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Sorry, but this link does NOT contradict anything I referred to and provided no additional factual evidence that IR is blocked. And in a couple of responses supported that additional IR protection was useful. And what does reddish coloring in rain have to do with IR protection?

The questions remain
Does the Pano from the factory substantially block UV? (my guess, probably)
Does the Pano from the factory substantially block IR? (unknown)

It's a battery powered car and anything that reduces the load on the battery can be helpful to increased range.
Here you go straight from Porsche. Yes the roof has thermal properties including IR reflection.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/body-18553.html

OP
OP
SoWhatNowWhat

SoWhatNowWhat

First Name
Carlanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Macan S
Country flag
Here you go straight from Porsche. Yes the roof has thermal properties including IR reflection.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/body-18553.html
Great info thanks:
“The panoramic fixed glass roof: a clear view without distracting roof bows

Due to its flat construction, the panoramic fixed glass roof blends harmoniously into the silhouette. Transverse bows were not required. This means the continuous area of the roof in the new Taycan measures one square metre, and as such provides an even more pleasant feeling of space and airiness. It is also possible to use a Porsche roof transport system.

For the first time in a Porsche, low-emissivity thermal insulation glass is used for the panoramic fixed glass roof. Several wafer-thin metal layers are applied to the insulating glass. As the thermal insulation glass allows short-wave radiation to pass through and reflects long-wave infra-red radiation, the vehicle interior will heat up more slowly in summer. This also means that the heat in the interior is retained longer in winter. In combination with the glass tint, it was therefore possible to dispense with a roller blind. An intermediate layer in the glass structure also provides acoustic insulation for the interior.”

OP
OP
SoWhatNowWhat

SoWhatNowWhat

First Name
Carlanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Macan S
Country flag
Polarized. Polaroid sunglasses would be amusing. This is true, I tested it before I ordered the HUD. I have since ordered non-polarized sun glasses for the car.
Lol ,darn auto correct, yes I meant polarized.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
we will need to agree to disagree. my experiences with pano roofs are nothing like yours
I start to wonder, if your MY21 has a different glass. Maybe need to wait till summer, when the sun stands at 90°, park it outside in direct sunlight for a few hours, then check. Perhaps your glass / framing is different to my MY20. Maybe Florida does not even get as hot as here?

Gbnj

First Name
Gurvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Range Rover
Country flag
I have it and the sun annoys me. It is not the heat, it is the sun rays on my head/face that I find annoying.
The last two days I drive a Cayenne loaner and I like its solid roof.
If you or your family are the kind of people who prefer to be in the shade instead of direct sun then get a solid roof.
Had my 2020 turbo since last spring. Heat was no more of an issue that in any other non panoramic vehicle that I've owned. However, the constant sun was a little annoying. For that, I had ceramic tint applied to the roof (20% grade), and 40% to the windshield. This definitely muted constant sun on the head/face.

mamba

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was reading on the thread about options that you might not get if you were doing it all over again.
some people mentioned the glass/pano roof.

I live in southern Florida ......hot pretty much year-round here but have always had panoramic type roofs in our vehicles.
that said my current Macan S has a nice little black screen that retracts and it really helps a lot in the summer heat here to have the screen in place.
so I guess it’s a two part question
1 is there such a screen in the Taycan when you order the pano roof ?
2 we did spec the thermally insulated glass, does that include the roof and would that help ?
Sorry, can’t help you. I live in England. ?

Las Vegas Taycan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I was reading on the thread about options that you might not get if you were doing it all over again.

I live in southern Florida ......hot pretty much year-round here but have always had panoramic type roofs in our vehicles.
that said my current Macan S has a nice little black screen that retracts and it really helps a lot in the summer heat here to have the screen in place.
2 we did spec the thermally insulated glass, does that include the roof and would that help ?
I live in Vegas and so far no problem and we have much stronger sun....

What I did add on aftermarket was the Nano Tech IR Film rejects the UV Rays and can tint the windows. In Nevada you can tint your window pretty dark

TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4s, Tesla X Performance, F150
Country flag

I live in Atlanta and chose to go with solid roof instead of pano. Unlike others here with Tesla's, I find the sun in our Model X to be both bright and hot. My wife snaps in a mesh screen over it to cut down. I do find the brightness bothers me more than the heat. What I didn't expect until I got the Taycan last month is that I like the clean lines better without the pano too, but that is just my personal preference.

Luc1

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live on the Sunshine Coast in Australia which after my travels to Florida, pretty similar weather and I didn’t get the pano roof on my 4s. Having said that though I’ve got young kids so it wasn’t so much about the heat for me but also the extra light in the cabin. I just spent the money on other extras, sport kit, yellow brake callipers, mission e wheels.

Porsche Taycan Pano roof in hot climate Y or N 62E0384B-E81F-4615-AED9-4DD93FC5F5AC

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I live on the Sunshine Coast in Australia which after my travels to Florida, pretty similar weather and I didn’t get the pano roof on my 4s. Having said that though I’ve got young kids so it wasn’t so much about the heat for me but also the extra light in the cabin. I just spent the money on other extras, sport kit, yellow brake callipers, mission e wheels.

62E0384B-E81F-4615-AED9-4DD93FC5F5AC.jpeg
Nice photo.
If the young man is your son, sell the image to Porsche for the Keep Dreaming revival commercial from 2007, your 2021 version with a Taycan.

I know as a kid I always dreamt of owning a Porsche 911. Fortunate to have gotten it and the Taycan.
Beautiful Taycan yours.

Last edited: