Panoramic fixed glass roof v Aluminium roof

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
... it not only adds weight to the car .. it adds it at the worst possible place ... not good for handling ... do you know that BMW (and others) use Carbon roofs on their performance cars for better handling?
Sponsored

Dawse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
... it not only adds weight to the car .. it adds it at the worst possible place ... not good for handling ... do you know that BMW (and others) use Carbon roofs on their performance cars for better handling?
That's a very fair point and I'm sure a very relevant one for highly skilled drivers who will be exploring the limits of the car's handling and for whom each kg is a factor. That's not me, but I'm sure it is a real issue for some people. I guess those people will also be opting for dynamic chassis control, rear axle steering, ceramic brakes etc.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for all the comments regarding Panoramic V Aluminum roof. I actually drive the BMW M5 with a carbon fibre roof and love the way it looks. Yes it lowers the center of gravity by reducing roof weight but I got it for the look and I really never open a sun roof.
Sooo after much contemplation I am waiting for the June production allocation to get the Turbo with Aluminum roof. Should have it for September.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I saw Taycan today with sun roof and without..
The Taycan without is much more head space..

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow, thanks for that information. I was actually concerned that there would be less headroom in the fixed aluminum roof. This absolutely makes my day. Thanks again.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
Please tell us more! I have ordered with metal roof but have only tried with the glass roof

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Personally, I ordered the glass roof.
Just for the pleasure of driving during the day and see the sky, especially for my kids.

It will turn our journey more pleasant and shorter.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To be sure I thought the Panoramic roof was very nice to be in, however my personal aversion to the sun made the choice for me.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I saw Taycan today with sun roof and without..
The Taycan without is much more head space..
What? Does not match my experience at all. I spent a long time sitting in Taycan's with both roof types at Frankfurt and the car with the glass roof has approximately 2-3cm more headspace than the metal roof (in the area which the glass covers, and it covers a lot).

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
What? Does not match my experience at all. I spent a long time sitting in Taycan's with both roof types at Frankfurt and the car with the glass roof has approximately 2-3cm more headspace than the metal roof (in the area which the glass covers, and it covers a lot).
did the same and actually felt a similar sensation as skystorm........... might be just perception.....

nihas7

First Name
nihas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, RR velar
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Panoramic fixed glass roof v Aluminium roof image003

Here is some info from Porsche.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
OK, (or not really ok) my dealer just informed me that the Aluminum Roof WON'T be available in the US this model year and not until 2021.
So I changed my order, got a build slot next month 'cause I'm just not waiting any longer. As for the pano roof, if the sunlight bothers me the fix is easy and cheap-a blackout film on the inside.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
OK, (or not really ok) my dealer just informed me that the Aluminum Roof WON'T be available in the US this model year and not until 2021.
So I changed my order, got a build slot next month 'cause I'm just not waiting any longer. As for the pano roof, if the sunlight bothers me the fix is easy and cheap-a blackout film on the inside.
My tint guy said that is an absolute no no on the blackout film. Do you have an update?

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My tint guy said that is an absolute no no on the blackout film. Do you have an update?
I've had the Turbo for 15 months/9,000 miles over two very hot summers and I'm glad I ended up with the panorama roof. It looks good and for those in the rear seats opens up the cabin. As for heat-NO PROBLEM. AC works very well and the insulation in the roof really works.
Sponsored