Panoramic fixed glass roof v Aluminium roof

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Smart Eq ForFour
Country flag
I cannot decide where to choose the Panoramic fixed glass roof or the aluminium roof (especially as I am in the UK)
For me the main concerns of a Panoramic fixed glass roof are
1) It could reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle.
2) It can add more noise to the inside of the car when driving through high wind and rain.
3) Condensation could collect on the glass during colder months - moisture can drip onto upholstery etc.

Are my concerns valid or should I still chose the Panoramic fixed glass roof?
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I cannot decide where to choose the Panoramic fixed glass roof or the aluminium roof (especially as I am in the UK)
2) It can add more noise to the inside of the car when driving through high wind and rain.
3) Condensation could collect on the glass during colder months - moisture can drip onto upholstery etc.

if those are your only concerns i would not hesitate! for the first one i do not believe that porsche would skimp on structure just because it has a glass roof. for the two others i can definitely say you will have no problems. i have had glass roofs on many lesser cars and those two have never been a slightest problem.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
After driving it for two weeks in mostly sub-zero conditions, I can say I've never noticed any condensation.

(I don't have answers for the other two questions)

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

the structural integrity isn’t compromised. You can see published taycan crash test videos. Historically Porsche glass roofs are slightly heavier and thicker than aluminum to achieve this.

I’ve test driven a taycan. Noise is not a concern. At all. Lack of noise might be. It is by far the quietest vehicle I’ve ever driven. Much quieter than the Tesla.

the glass is insulated. I’ve never had a problem with the 911 sun roof.

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if those are your only concerns i would not hesitate! for the first one i do not believe that porsche would skimp on structure just because it has a glass roof. for the two others i can definitely say you will have no problems. i have had glass roofs on many lesser cars and those two have never been a slightest problem.

Thank you

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thank You

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the structural integrity isn’t compromised. You can see published taycan crash test videos. Historically Porsche glass roofs are slightly heavier and thicker than aluminum to achieve this.

I’ve test driven a taycan. Noise is not a concern. At all. Lack of noise might be. It is by far the quietest vehicle I’ve ever driven. Much quieter than the Tesla.

the glass is insulated. I’ve never had a problem with the 911 sun roof.
Thank You

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After driving it for two weeks in mostly sub-zero conditions, I can say I've never noticed any condensation.
(I don't have answers for the other two questions)
Thank You

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Follow Up:

I’ve been sitting in the car for an hour, waiting for late plane to arrive at the airport.

There is some condensation on the glass roof. No more than you’d expect from my breathing. The roof is as cold as the windows. It’s 34°F outside, but 67°F inside.
Porsche Taycan Panoramic fixed glass roof v Aluminium roof 23DBB905-FA92-4697-9A8C-6024DB515E16

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Follow Up:

I’ve been sitting in the car for an hour, waiting for late plane to arrive at the airport.

There is some condensation on the glass roof. No more than you’d expect from my breathing. The roof is as cold as the windows. It’s 34°F outside, but 67°F inside.
23DBB905-FA92-4697-9A8C-6024DB515E16.jpeg
This brings up an interesting point, is there a way to tell how much electric you are using with the heater on?

OP
OP

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Follow Up:

23DBB905-FA92-4697-9A8C-6024DB515E16.jpeg
Thanks for your comments and photography.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This brings up an interesting point, is there a way to tell how much electric you are using with the heater on?
Nothing direct.

But sitting in the car for an hour, keeping it warm, ambient temperatures 34°F, used up about 1% of my battery.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Nothing direct.

But sitting in the car for an hour, keeping it warm, ambient temperatures 34°F, used up about 1% of my battery.
Good to know, I was curious about that, thanks

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nothing direct.

Note: This was not a scientific test. I could be off by 2% (because I wasn’t really taking notes, nor do I have access to actual consumption figures)

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Note: This was not a scientific test. I could be off by 2% (because I wasn’t really taking notes, nor do I have access to actual consumption figures)
True, but still have take those accessories into consideration, especially if they are running off the main battery and not the 12 volt
Sponsored