Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone have any insight as to whether the glass roof increases the heat load in the car compared to the aluminum roof?
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The glass has 7, if I remember rightly layers of glass, it’s reflective and tinted to help sun reflection in the car. I asked the question about the insulated glass option but did not get a consice answer. Id say a fixed roof would be more insulated as it’s fabric... but I could be wrong!

FUBAR

First Name
Christer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6 V10, Viper RT/10, Buick GNX, GMC Syclone & Typhoon, 96 Impala SS
Country flag
The glass roof also has mounting fixtures for a roof rack. The aluminum roof does not. In Norway it is recomended by Porsche to go for the glass roof option because of the mounting fixtures.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Glass roof is 25kg heavier..
Which is approximately 1 % of the weight of the car. Whatever the driver/passengers weigh and possible other cargo makes for an expected larger variance in total weight than the weight of the glass roof.

I don't imagine this being a concern to almost anyone. If you're tracking with it all the time and really want to squeeze every fraction of a second constantly, then I get it.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I drove my local dealers demo Taycan Turbo S. It was sunny and 75 F during the drive. ( Melbourne FL ) I could feel the heat on my head after the drive. I'm waiting for a metal roof. Also the car was only crash tested with the metal roof from what I know and I'm not dieting. I don't know about the metal roof having roof rack attachment points ( Many Porsche cars do have them, my Cayman did )

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslas and Ferraris
Country flag
Not an issue on Teslas, granted northeast is not FL but hasn't bothered me in the summer here. Always gives a nice airy feeling and more headroom

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll be running the A/C if my head start to feel hot. Maybe it is just the adrenaline rushing to my head while I'm driving the Taycan ;)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Not an issue on Teslas, granted northeast is not FL but hasn't bothered me in the summer here. Always gives a nice airy feeling and more headroom
Definite issue on my Model 3 when it’s hot out I get a headache from the heat radiating through the glass roof...... was never a problem on the Model S or X but 3 yes.......

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The Taycan is optionally available with a large panoramic glass roof, which provides a pleasant feeling of space with around a square meter of viewing area and maximum headroom. There is no sun protection roller blind, because the thermal properties of the glass (IR protection and low-emissivity coating) protect the passengers from bright light and tiring heat build-up. Thermo glass is an all-rounder: it filters the UV radiation completely, significantly reduces the infrared radiation and has a high noise insulation effect. The new thing is the multiple insulation and coating to the passenger compartment. It ensures that the temperature is perceived in the same way as in the rest of the interior when it is warm and cold even near the glass.

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslas and Ferraris
Country flag
Definite issue on my Model 3 when it’s hot out I get a headache from the heat radiating through the glass roof...... was never a problem on the Model S or X but 3 yes.......
Hasn’t been an issue here but we picked it up in September so hasn’t been hot. It is my daughter’s dd and she hasn’t mentioned either. If anything the AC makes the car pretty chilly.
MS is my DD, no issue there

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I cannot decide where to choose the Panoramic fixed glass roof or the aluminium roof (especially as I am in the UK)
For me the main concerns of a Panoramic fixed glass roof are
1) It could reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle.
2) It can add more noise to the inside of the car when driving through high wind and rain.
3) Condensation could collect on the glass during colder months - moisture can drip onto upholstery etc.

Are my concerns valid or should I still chose the Panoramic fixed glass roof?
I will add:
4) something more to break
5) something that's very hard to keep clean -- always dirty
6) can bring in more light that is wanted, which can heat up the car more in hot weather and which can lead to sunlight flashing off of shiny panels that the driver uses (reflecting sunlight into the eyes of the occupants)
7) something that is really only useful to the rear-seat passengers in terms of overhead visibility (as front-seat passengers can't easily see out of the glass roof of the Taycan, which starts rather far back)
8) adds weight to the car

I don't like glass roofs or sunroofs or moonroofs. I'll wait for the opaque roof.
Polestar 2 has a panoramic glass roof but appears to be using electrochromic "smart" glass to dim the glass to either opaque or translucent. I'm surprised that Porsche is not including "smart" glass with any car that has a glass roof with no "under covering" (whether solid or cloth) as you see in ICE 4-door Porsches (and I'll say that the "nylon"-like covering of glass roofs in Porsches and other vehicles like Volvos really suck).

Dawse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
I think it's an easier question to answer, because I (maybe naively) trust that Porsche has designed it to be structurally sound, to avoid condensation, and to be pretty well noise and weather proofed (although if I were living in a very hot climate rather than in the UK I'd be more concerned about that).

So that left me with three questions -
- do you think the car looks better from the outside with the metal roof? I do
- are you keen to save the £1,200 or (in the UK) so that the roof costs, and use the money on something else ? I am
- on the other hand do you value the benefit of extra light that the glass roof brings to those inside the car, especially those in the back who, let's face it, don't have a whole load of space? I do

For me, number three was the most important so I ordered the glass roof despite my answers to the other two. As I say I can see how those of you in very hot climates have an extra question to deal with.

DKdriver

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ordered; S-Max present
Country flag
I think it's an easier question to answer, because I (maybe naively) trust that Porsche has designed it to be structurally sound, to avoid condensation, and to be pretty well noise and weather proofed (although if I were living in a very hot climate rather than in the UK I'd be more concerned about that).

So that left me with three questions -
- do you think the car looks better from the outside with the metal roof? I do
- are you keen to save the £1,200 or (in the UK) so that the roof costs, and use the money on something else ? I am
- on the other hand do you value the benefit of extra light that the glass roof brings to those inside the car, especially those in the back who, let's face it, don't have a whole load of space? I do

For me, number three was the most important so I ordered the glass roof despite my answers to the other two. As I say I can see how those of you in very hot climates have an extra question to deal with.
I had exactly the same considerations, with the addition, that I need to be able to mount roof racks on the car sometimes. Apparently this is not possible with aluminium roof.
Sponsored