Triton

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS on order, Ferrari F12, Maserati GranSpo
Country flag
Hello, this is my first post. My wife has a Taycan GTS scheduled to be delivered in the next 8 weeks. My question is where are all of you owners charging and storing your cars? I keep debating putting it in my detached garage or storing and charging outside in a carport.

I won’t put it in my basement garage for concerns over a fire and have the same worries for my detached garage as there is are collector cars stored there along with my shop. I love the car but let’s face it all electric cars are a potential fire hazard when charging.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I store and charge it in my garage. It normally only charges for 4 hours so usually not overnight. I’m not that worried about it catching fire.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Your Ferrari could catch fire too. And your home could catch fire also.
Until there are scores of Taycans catching fire around the world, I'll continue to charge and store mine in my attached garage. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP

Triton

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why buy an EV? Do you park a gas car in the garage? Not exactly immune to a fire.
Its not my car, my wife makes her own decisions and purchases. Lithium ion batteries are a much higher static fire risk than an full tank of gas. When you are charging it is much higher than that. You can’t take them in a checked airport bag for a reason.

Every manufacturer has had issues included the early Taycans, Porsche even admits that.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Call me crazy but I park my car in my attached garage. I love living dangerously so I charge it In there too.

On a serious note, can you share your data about the rate of Taycan fires versus ICE vehicles? I’m genuinely interested in seeing it.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Its not my car, my wife makes her own decisions and purchases. Lithium ion batteries are a much higher static fire risk than an full tank of gas. When you are charging it is much higher than that. You can’t take them in a checked airport bag for a reason.

Every manufacturer has had issues included the early Taycans, Porsche even admits that.
Electric vehicle are much LESS likely to have a fire than a gas car. LESS. They are harder to put out, but less likely.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-electric-vehicles-involved-in-fewest-car-fires/

BigV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S, MacanS, Tesla M3
Country flag
Hello, this is my first post. My wife has a Taycan GTS scheduled to be delivered in the next 8 weeks. My question is where are all of you owners charging and storing your cars? I keep debating putting it in my detached garage or storing and charging outside in a carport.

I won’t put it in my basement garage for concerns over a fire and have the same worries for my detached garage as there is are collector cars stored there along with my shop. I love the car but let’s face it all electric cars are a potential fire hazard when charging.
Wow, the two of you probably should have discussed this before dropping $150K on an EV. We have owned 4 EVs from Chevrolet, BMW and Tesla over the past 15 years. All were charged in an attached garage, and after a cumulative 150,000 miles none of them caught fire. There is a huge difference between a laptop lithium ion battery, and a temperature controlled lithium ion car battery. If in doubt cancel your order now, your dealership will be happy to add his $15K markup to sell it for you!

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Lithium ion batteries are a much higher static fire risk than an full tank of gas. When you are charging it is much higher than that. You can’t take them in a checked airport bag for a reason
To be fair, you can’t carry a tank of gas in checked luggage either… There tends to be an overabundance of caution when it comes to airplanes, it doesn’t mean charging an EV indoors isn’t generally safe

OP
OP

Triton

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Call me crazy but I park my car in my attached garage. I love living dangerously so I charge it In there too.

On a serious note, can you share your data about the rate of Taycan fires versus ICE vehicles? I’m genuinely interested in seeing it.
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whistleblower-taycan-battery-charger-fires-coverup/amp/

I’m not sure anyone has that data but read the article above. Obviously there are less Taycans in the market than Bolts and Teslas but there issues are pretty well documented.

I didn’t ask this question as a joke or because I hate EVs. I assumed someone here would have had the same thoughts and concerns, but maybe not.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whistleblower-taycan-battery-charger-fires-coverup/amp/

I’m not sure anyone has that data but read the article above. Obviously there are less Taycans in the market than Bolts and Teslas but there issues are pretty well documented.

I didn’t ask this question as a joke or because I hate EVs. I assumed someone here would have had the same thoughts and concerns, but maybe not.
Yeah, that’s not data, as you already know. It’s a completely unsubstantiated smear article that provides no evidence at all. The reason nobody nobody on this forum believes it is because when people have problems with their Taycan they post … wait for it… on this forum. If this was for real we would see it posted all the time. The Taycan is far from perfect but it doesn’t have the problems alleged in that article.

You did the right thing posting on here trying to get the real information.

OP
OP

Triton

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

With posts like this it seems like you have a bright future on this forum. Keep these insightful nuggets coming!! Your post is so ridiculous that it is hard to believe that you are not just an anti-EV troll.

Seriously, you should probably take 30 seconds and do a basic web search on the number of spontaneous EV fires that erupt during charging before posting stupid $hit like this.

Basement garage? Detached garage? claims of frequent EV fires due to charging? Your whole post just reeks of bull$hit.
Sponsored