ParkAssist Reverse v ParkAssist Surround?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am just speccing my car and had optioned ParkAssist Surround, as its a big old car with poor visability.
I had just assumed it works be better and was worth spending the extra for help with parking in tight spaces etc.

However, I have just read another post from someone who said the more basic ParkAssist Reverse is a far superior reversing camera.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I am just speccing my car and had optioned ParkAssist Surround, as its a big old car with poor visability.
I had just assumed it works be better and was worth spending the extra for help with parking in tight spaces etc.

However, I have just read another post from someone who said the more basic ParkAssist Reverse is a far superior reversing camera.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Personally, I am happy to have the 360 Surround option as it allows me to park the rather wide and long car without curbing wheels.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Personally, I am happy to have the 360 Surround option as it allows me to park the rather wide and long car without curbing wheels.
Ditto. Having used the surround, I'm convinced that it is superior to the "less-distorted" standard rear cam. Remember, its purpose is to aid in maneuvers, not to render beautiful videos.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Same here! Surround is a ”must have” for me. I’m very happy with it. It’s a really good system, better then e.g. on my last car which was a BMW 7 series. For instance for parking in tight spots the front, side and back view are very good, clear and accurate. Also I see no problem whatsoever with the quality of the rear view cam.

Contrary to the ”auto park function” which I believe is useless on any car, it is really slow and unnatural to my feeling. I have never tried/used this that I use again.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Surround all day long. I doubt if the rear camera is different to the basic implementation - seems unlikely.

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
Surround all day long. I doubt if the rear camera is different to the basic implementation - seems unlikely.
When I select Surround View on the USA configurator, an indent that looks like the iPhone notch appears on the top edge of the license plate:

Porsche Taycan ParkAssist Reverse v ParkAssist Surround? Capture.JPG

I assume that's the rear Surround View camera. Since a rear camera is required by law in the USA, even without Surround View, there is always a rear camera somewhere on the USA car but that notch isn't there without Surround View. Even if that standard rear camera is in the same position above the license plate, the change to a camera notch with Surround View suggests it does have a different hardware assembly. Or maybe the camera is the same but the Surround View rear assembly adds other sensors for features like Rear Cross Traffic Alert?

Would be helpful if someone who doesn't have Surround View posted a pic of their rear camera view when in reverse to see if it has the same distorted perspective.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When I select Surround View on the USA configurator, an indent that looks like the iPhone notch appears on the top edge of the license plate:

Capture.JPG

I assume that's the rear Surround View camera. Since a rear camera is required by law in the USA, even without Surround View, there is always a rear camera somewhere on the USA car but that notch isn't there without Surround View. Even if that standard rear camera is in the same position above the license plate, the change to a camera notch with Surround View suggests it does have a different hardware assembly. Or maybe the camera is the same but the Surround View rear assembly adds other sensors for features like Rear Cross Traffic Alert?

Would be helpful if someone who doesn't have Surround View posted a pic of their rear camera view when in reverse to see if it has the same distorted perspective.
It has a spray washer for cleaning built in - not sure if that is the case on the standard reversing camera. If not then that accounts for the increase in size.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Can the members clarify, I have the 360 camera and is near useless, the resolution of the rear camera is not good. I had the opportunity to have the 3D view which is good, I know because I have it in my car until it was taken away after the last update “ it’s an option “ of course. Video of the 3D attach before taking away
Sponsored

Attachments