Parking Brake Stuck After ~3 Weeks In Garage

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Experienced a strange issue this morning. I have had my CT4 parked in my home garage for about 3 weeks.

I powered up, began to reverse, and it felt like there was an obstruction - the car didn’t roll like I’m used to. I immediately backed off accelerator pedal and walked around. No obstructions beneath car, all tires/wheels intact. Tried a second time, same phenomenon, more specifically it felt like the rear left wheel was mounting a small bump. I can’t have moved more than an inch or two before backing off again. I tried rolling a few inches forward, which went fine. After that, reversing behaved as normal. Gingerly drove a couple of miles, trying brakes - felt fine. But now I’m a bit spooked.

Any similar experiences among the group? Any ideas what happened?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Experienced a strange issue this morning. I have had my CT4 parked in my home garage for about 3 weeks.

I powered up, began to reverse, and it felt like there was an obstruction - the car didn’t roll like I’m used to. I immediately backed off accelerator pedal and walked around. No obstructions beneath car, all tires/wheels intact. Tried a second time, same phenomenon, more specifically it felt like the rear left wheel was mounting a small bump. I can’t have moved more than an inch or two before backing off again. I tried rolling a few inches forward, which went fine. After that, reversing behaved as normal. Gingerly drove a couple of miles, trying brakes - felt fine. But now I’m a bit spooked.

Likely there was moisture on the pads and rotors which ultimately corrodes when not in use. This leads to the brakes 'sticking' and only release with a little encouragement.

I had the issue recently.

On a non EV placing the car in park doesn't automatically engage the parking brake which apparently isn't avoidable on an EV.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag

Did you just wash the car and then park it? I had that problem with a Mercedes after washing it and immediately leaving the car sit. Corrosion was quick on emergency brake and it would lock up and that happened just over night. Once I had to have the car towed in. Tow truck driver verified the problem. When it finally got to the shop it broke loose.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Thanks @W1NGE and @Evpower. I do believe the car was wet when I last parked, so this seems a likely explanation. Any tips on how to prevent or how to safely tackle this issue if it happens again?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Thanks @W1NGE and @Evpower. I do believe the car was wet when I last parked, so this seems a likely explanation. Any tips on how to prevent or how to safely tackle this issue if it happens again?
Don't get it wet before leaving it for 3 weeks !

Not unusual in proper ICE cars, and i wouldn't let it worry you. I've noticed it quite a few times on other cars left on drive for a while. Not helped as its on a slight slope and i think the brakes tend to grip a bit as the car settles back once you've parked.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Quick spin in the car with good forceful braking part to dry the discs - 100 yards or so.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Your brakes were "frozen" due to rust. Probably washed and put away wet.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
We drove through a heavy rain storm and parked the car in the garage, didn't drive it for 3 days.
When we finally decided to take it out for a drive the car would not creap out of the garage on it's own like nomal. Tried forward and reverse, finally added a little accelerator and heard a big clunk and the car would move. As the car moved forward I heard a rotational ticking sound that was louder with application of the brakes. After a few stops the sound went away. Looking at the back rotors there is an impression of the brake pad one rotor. With the parking brake clamping the pads to the rotor guess they rusted together.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah they tend to rust together so that’s why after a wash I take it around the block to dry off the rotors before parking it in the garage.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In a Taycan, is the parking brake function done by the regular brakes that stop the car, or is there a separate parking brake?
Sponsored