Part 2: Deep hum 50-70 km/h and why we should notify Porsche AG

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
I went on a ride today after picking up my car after the uPdate. I have been unable to reproduce the humming sound. It's too early for me to say it's gone for good. But it's promising that I didn't hear anything at the speeds I was previously hearing it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
I went on a ride today after picking up my car after the uPdate. I have been unable to reproduce the humming sound. It's too early for me to say it's gone for good. But it's promising that I didn't hear anything at the speeds I was previously hearing it.
That’s good news for you! I see you have 4 MY 2021. The update delivers an improvement for MY 2020 and 2021 for the power train as shown here:
• Increase in power train efficiency to increase range through improved all-wheel drive distribution (4WD only)
• Acoustic optimization of power train noise from electric machines

For my MY 2022 there is no bullet on page 14 of this uPdate:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10217267-0001.pdf

There is one for ‘enhanced stability‘ but not for the noise. This could mean that for my MY 2022 the optimization was already there…

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Recently I posted this thread and promised an update:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/deep-hum-between-50-70-km-u-16-23-mph.11825/post-177907

Last week my car was examined by Porsche Netherlands after the dealer tried to synchronize the gearbox. The technician from Porsche Netherlands drove with my car and with two others, all RWD. One of the other cars was also, as is mine, a Sport Tourismo.
The humming appears in first gear at high revs of the electric motor. When driven in ‘range’ mode the humming sound does not occur, because then only the second gear is driven and there is a different gear ratio.

The technician from Porsche Netherlands used the two other cars for a product comparison and noted that they had the same hum in first gear. A three-dimensional scope analysis revealed that they showed a similar image.
His conclusion was that this is a product feature. An electric motor apparently has certain speeds at which you can perceive a hum. My dealer has a report of the analysis (I haven’t seen it yet) and will send it to Porsche AG In Germany. Porsche Netherlands will do the same. The dealer said that when reports from the market are received at Porsche AG, this might be a signal for further action. If and when that will happen, cannot be predicted…

So I’m stuck with the irritating sound and there is certainly not going to be a replacement of the gearbox, like LXA wrote in the first thread. Maybe the warranty in the US is more strictly monitored than in Europe?

My complaint about the humming started after about 6000 km., before that no humming was to be heard. Current mileage is 7000 km. Some of my fellow European Taycan drivers reported in my thread the same problem: McgR, Cyberdriver888, Ambroos.
Uncertain whether the problem affects only RWD Taycans, because the rear engine for all Taycans is the same.
I’ve been looking for sound insulating foam to put in the trunk, but it’s in fact ridiculous even thinking about this. Let Porsche AG solve it.

My call for the European drivers, especially the Netherlands and Belgium: check your car for this sound and the difference with the second gear. If you think your car is infected and you find it as annoying as I do, notify your dealer and through them Porsche AG that they have to solve this problem!
I was driving in the Austrian and Swiss alps last month and did some testing.

I was driving with a roof box, tires inflated to full charge recommendations. Which made observations difficult.

I had some rather unpleasant gear changes when driving up hill and switching from normal to sport. On two or three occasion it was a loud gear shift that I could also feel. Probably because the shift was under heavy load? Don’t know if this is normal. Didn’t occur anymore back home.

The sound was definitely different in sport mode compared to normale and range.

Humming of the engine? Or because of the road noise in sport mode. Even in Belgium the road noise is more present in sport mode, probably because of sport damping mode?

What I also found that the Bose subwoofer can also make some humming noise with bass tones. I thought I heard the humming but it disappeared when turning of the radio.

I have tested again in Belgium with normal tire pressure and the road noise is less present. I have not been able to hear it now.

What I did / do have was humming at higher speeds. And the strange thing is that it is not always present. I was thinking it might be the ventilation openings in the bumper being open or closed.

Problem is once you have heard it you can’t ignore it anymore like tinnitus (oorsuizingen). The best therapie for that is ignoring the noise and getting used to it. But this is probably not the solution houvasten looking for.

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Problem is once you have heard it you can’t ignore it anymore like tinnitus (oorsuizingen). The best therapie for that is ignoring the noise and getting used to it. But this is probably not the solution houvasten looking for.
Wise words! Not easy however, but the car is worth it. In three weeks we are ging to Austria too. Your experience is a recommendation for some testing there. With the Bose off 😊

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Maybe they changed the shift point in the tranny to be earlier, to avoid a nasty harmonic at particular/higher motor revolutions.

Cyberdriver888

First Name
Håkon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
I can clearly hear some repeating noise on a MY21 CT4. My car is in for the uPdate, so I will give it a try after the update is completed to see if it further reproduces.

In my experience, I have the sound at around 70km/h on a flat surface, but I can not reliably reproduce it on any road.

I'll try to record a video next time it happens, but my hope is that the tuning from the uPdate no longer makes it noticeable.
I had exactly the same pre-uPdate. Humming electric buzz sound around 70km. The sound could be reproduced by applying slight pedal acceleration or having the car in acc/innodrive uphill.
After uPdate I have not been able to reproduce. Seems fixed although still monitoring on long drives.

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had exactly the same pre-uPdate. Humming electric buzz sound around 70km. The sound could be reproduced by applying slight pedal acceleration or having the car in acc/innodrive uphill.
After uPdate I have not been able to reproduce. Seems fixed although still monitoring on long drives.
Also a MY 2021 Håkon? That could explain that there is an improvement of the humming noise.

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
Hi all!

I’m looking for a Taycan to buy and tested one CT4 today. The car is MY22 with 8k km and I could hear humming noise at 65-70kmh. Does that sound as a problem with the transmission as discussed in this thread? Should I stay away from that car?

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all!

I’m looking for a Taycan to buy and tested one CT4 today. The car is MY22 with 8k km and I could hear humming noise at 65-70kmh. Does that sound as a problem with the transmission as discussed in this thread? Should I stay away from that car?
Hi Max, to my knowledge the problem only occurs with the RWD cars. But I’m not 100 % sure, maybe after more km (mine started at about 5k) it could happen with the all wheel driven too. And not alle RWD‘s have this problem…
Perhaps try at least one other CT4 with comparable kilometers and listen if you hear it too. If you have doubts, don’t buy it because it’s an annoying sound.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all!

It will be covered by warranty and I doubt this is a problem.

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
It will be covered by warranty and I doubt this is a problem.
I had way too many problems with my X5 g05 which I bought new and picked every single option. Just during these 2 years and just 30k km the car was fixed 11 times! I don’t really want to start a new journey with a broken car tbh. But thanks for your answer

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had way too many problems with my X5 g05 which I bought new and picked every single option. Just during these 2 years and just 30k km the car was fixed 11 times! I don’t really want to start a new journey with a broken car tbh. But thanks for your answer
You're assuming it's "broken".

Are you purchasing from an official Porsche dealership?

If so then I doubt they'd knowingly sell you a broken 2nd hand car.

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
You're assuming it's "broken".

Are you purchasing from an official Porsche dealership?

If so then I doubt they'd knowingly sell you a broken 2nd hand car.
That’s why I’m asking :) I found this thread and started to wonder. Seems like I can only get an answer to this question by trying another Taycan. Though, I drove one 4S 1 year ago and I can’t remember this humming noise. I had a 6 hour journey back then with the 4S.

Unfortunately, it’s not a Porsche dealer. It’s a company that owns porsche, audi, vw dealers here in Finland. And they have a company that sells premium used cars. That’s why it’s complicated and I have doubts. The Porsche sites still lists those cars though.
Sponsored